SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New T56 Magnum Swap Kit for the SC300

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-17, 04:08 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tidalk
Are you still running the stock engine? couldn't tell from the pics...
The video link I posted is not my car...it's Joel's from Grannas Racing. He is using the stock NA motor for demo purposes to show clearances and such.

I, on the other hand, am building another engine on the side (see my build thread...its on an engine stand in the back of the garage) :-)

I plan to do the body work first (rust, repaint, etc..) meanwhile building the second motor (NA-T ~800HP) and when the car is back from the body shop, to swap out the new motor.

Top priority now is getting the car to look mint before any performance stuff.
Old 04-02-17, 10:17 AM
tidalk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
The video link I posted is not my car...it's Joel's from Grannas Racing. He is using the stock NA motor for demo purposes to show clearances and such.

I, on the other hand, am building another engine on the side (see my build thread...its on an engine stand in the back of the garage) :-)

I plan to do the body work first (rust, repaint, etc..) meanwhile building the second motor (NA-T ~800HP) and when the car is back from the body shop, to swap out the new motor.

Top priority now is getting the car to look mint before any performance stuff.
ah nice nice man. Keep up with the updates!!
Old 04-16-17, 11:27 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Joel Grannas posted a recent update video on reverse lockout for the T56 Magnum install on the SC300:

Good stuff!
Old 04-17-17, 07:45 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Great that he is showing you how to do this stuff....I already have mine all installed and been driving it for the past week

I didnt have to shave any part of the transmission of in my car.....it fit without doing that step..

You can also just leave that rubber plug in for the mechanical speed sensor....its doesnt leak with that rubber plug in....

Last edited by CatManD3W; 04-17-17 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-17-17, 10:41 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Great that he is showing you how to do this stuff....I already have mine all installed and been driving it for the past week

I didnt have to shave any part of the transmission of in my car.....it fit without doing that step..

You can also just leave that rubber plug in for the mechanical speed sensor....its doesnt leak with that rubber plug in....
Dude, you read my mind! Lol! I was about to post that question to you about shaving the transmission housing. Any idea why Joel had to do it and you didn't? I am wondering if it has to do with the transmission maybe sitting more to the left (near the driver)??? Probably not, but just a guess.

How are you liking the T56 Magnum? Any complaints? Issues?
Old 04-17-17, 05:42 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Another video Joel Grannas posted today in regards to the T56 Magnum kit for the SC300....this one is in regards to bell-housing clearance modifications. I hope I am not annoying anyone by posting these videos, they really are very helpful.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-17, 07:20 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Another few videos by Joel Grannas on how to install the throwout bearing & clutch:

Thanks Joel!

Last edited by LexIS007; 04-20-17 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-20-17, 04:35 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

It's great that Joel Grannas has made a series about the T56 Magnum swap! I have had many questions answered right in these videos, notably about whether or not routine clutch changes are any more difficult than with a V160 or R154. It actually sounds easier, at least compared to a V160. Plus, no requirement to unbolt the pressure plate from the inspection covers before dropping the transmission (R154 and all other R-series and V160/161). Also, unless I misunderstood, it also sounds like we can use a standard SC300/MKIV W58 flywheel. That's a plus over sourcing an LUK V160 or imported Toyota OEM 1JZ-R154 flywheel.

Two things I'm not clear on yet:

1) Whether or not the caliper gauge measurements he took to set the depth of the throwout bearing in relation to the pressure plate fingers is something that must be done with every clutch change or just the initial setup and installation of the transmission.

2) Grannas' T56 Magnum shifter setup sounds like it is set up for both the 93-98 MKIV, 95-97 SC300 and 94.5/95-2000 Soarer with tripod style manual transmission tunnels. This suggests to me that the transmission tunnels on 1992-1994 SC300 original factory 5-speeds are probably not going to align far back enough for his custom shifter, thus requiring either cutting of said tunnel or replacement with a tripod manual transmission tunnel. Maybe I've missed something and this is unnecessary but this is what seems to be the case. He did mention as an end footnote that IS300 transmission tunnels require some cutting to fit his T56 shifter location so I assume it's going to be similar for 92-94 SC300 5-speeds.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-20-17 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 02:04 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

1) Whether or not the caliper gauge measurements he took to set the depth of the throwout bearing in relation to the pressure plate fingers is something that must be done with every clutch change or just the initial setup and installation of the transmission.

If you change clutch setups you will need to check the gap clearance.....i.e say if you go from a single disk to a double, triple....etc. If you are just simply replacing the clutch disks this will not need to be done. Also Grannas does not mention but you will need to adjust your clutch pedal. I had to max mine all the way out....i.e raise it up higher

2) Grannas' T56 Magnum shifter setup sounds like it is set up for both the 93-98 MKIV, 95-97 SC300 and 94.5/95-2000 Soarer with tripod style manual transmission tunnels. This suggests to me that the transmission tunnels on 1992-1994 SC300 original factory 5-speeds are probably not going to align far back enough for his custom shifter, thus requiring either cutting of said tunnel or replacement with a tripod manual transmission tunnel. Maybe I've missed something and this is unnecessary but this is what seems to be the case. He did mention as an end footnote that IS300 transmission tunnels require some cutting to fit his T56 shifter location so I assume it's going to be similar for 92-94 SC300 5-speeds.

You will need to have the tripod style tunnel....i.e late model SC300 5spd (95-97) and or Supra v160 tunnel in your car. If you car is a 92-94 SC it will require additional modification. Also if you car is auto it will also require tunnel modification. The SC that Grannas used for the writeup is a 95 SC300 which uses the tripod w58.
Old 04-21-17, 02:09 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It's great that Joel Grannas has made a series about the T56 Magnum swap! I have had many questions answered right in these videos, notably about whether or not routine clutch changes are any more difficult than with a V160 or R154.
I agree, I think his videos are fantastic! Great support by the vendor himself! You don't see that alot with parts for our cars nowadays.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6

1) That's a good point...I would assume it would be both. Those fingers do change over time. There is actually a video by Tremec that mentions this, and it talks about how the distance varies during pressure plate wear/usage.

2) No, this example he is working on is in fact a original 5spd car. The tunnel does not need to be cut in any way....just need to cut the rubber boot and pound in the tunnel very very slightly to clear the SICKYY shifter. From my understanding of this video and personally speaking to Joel, there is zero cutting of the original 5spd tunnel with his kit.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-17, 02:26 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Any questions you guys have feel free to PM and I will help you out.
Old 04-21-17, 06:00 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Any questions you guys have feel free to PM and I will help you out.
CatMan, do you know if all the 1995's have the "preferred" tunnel on the 5spd's?...the tripod style? Or was there a cutoff mid-year? How do I determine if mine is a tripod style?

Also, can the original shifter (leather wrapped) screw on the T56 Magnum's shifter thread?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-17, 07:48 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you change clutch setups you will need to check the gap clearance.....i.e say if you go from a single disk to a double, triple....etc. If you are just simply replacing the clutch disks this will not need to be done. Also Grannas does not mention but you will need to adjust your clutch pedal. I had to max mine all the way out....i.e raise it up higher

You will need to have the tripod style tunnel....i.e late model SC300 5spd (95-97) and or Supra v160 tunnel in your car. If you car is a 92-94 SC it will require additional modification. Also if you car is auto it will also require tunnel modification. The SC that Grannas used for the writeup is a 95 SC300 which uses the tripod w58.
great attention to details.. valid point you have there
Old 04-22-17, 02:39 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by LexIS007
CatMan, do you know if all the 1995's have the "preferred" tunnel on the 5spd's?...the tripod style? Or was there a cutoff mid-year? How do I determine if mine is a tripod style?
Also, can the original shifter (leather wrapped) screw on the T56 Magnum's shifter thread?
Thanks.
1992-1994 SC300 original 5-speed manual cars have the early style manual transmission tunnel. It is unique to those years and the 1991-1993 Toyota Soarers only. This is why the Japan-market Soarer extension housings (and the recent copies that Xcessive Manufacturing makes) for early non-tripod R154's in those cars is a direct fit in those tunnels exactly like the early SC300 W58. Tripod transmissions aren't a direct fit in factory manual 92-94 SC300's for this reason. Either the tunnel has to be swapped to the tripod style tunnel or cutting has to be done to fit a tripod transmission in a 92-94 SC300 factory M/T.

1995-1997 SC300 original 5-speeds, 1994-2000 Toyota Soarer 1JZ-GTE's with R154's and all MKIV Supras originally optioned with manual transmissions (W58 or V160) all use the same exact tripod style transmission tunnel.

Not sure about the OEM SC leather wrapped shifter end fitting the Tremec's shifter thread but it would just be a conversion adapter with some flat edges to be tightened on and removed with a wrench before putting on the SC shifter end. I don't know if this has been made yet.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-22-17 at 02:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LexIS007 (04-22-17)
Old 04-22-17, 02:41 AM
KahnBB6

Thank you for clearing those up, CatMan!

Quick Reply: New T56 Magnum Swap Kit for the SC300