ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000-6/)
-   -   problem with 12 disc cd changer (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/85054-problem-with-12-disc-cd-changer.html)

sweetsc400 05-29-03 08:27 PM

problem with 12 disc cd changer

I know everybody has problems with the wonderful stock sc cd changers =). I'm trying to find out what all I need to replace. I'm thinking the whole cd changer unit needs replacing because when I drop the cartridge in it crashes to the bottom and doesn't "attach" itself in. The eject button lights up but doesnt do anything. And when I push the cd button on my dash it does NOTHING. Any ideas???

Matt

sweetsc400 06-13-03 02:55 AM

Nobody has any suggestions? I can't find anything on this. . .Nothing registers on the display inside the car, but the button on the changer itself lights up. Any help would be awesome.

JamesN 06-13-03 04:44 AM

First it think to you need to take it out and take it to the car audio place to have them take a look to see what wrong. I think that your the CD motor that take in your cartriges down could die or it could be any other things like the power connections. Check and make sure if it might be loose over time.

SC300Es 06-13-03 08:23 AM

I had the same exact problem. No indication on the head unit, changer light on, but nothing. The platform that the cartridge sits on was crooked. There were also broken parts in it. Parts that raised and lowered that platform. I sent it to a guy in FL, but he couldn't find the parts to fix it. Now looking into putting an ES changer in there. Some people have tried it and it seems to work. Oh, the place I sent my changer washttp://carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm

Good luck

SC400Dude 06-13-03 08:45 AM

Dude, my CD changer just stopped playing like a few days ago. So I got really mad and took my car to the local stereo shop and I got a whole new Pioneer deck/changer. I'm just fed up~! Plus, it doesn't skip anymore.:D

sweetsc400 06-13-03 01:18 PM

Thanks guys!
I'll try that web address.
Good luck with the pioneer!
I took mine to my local audio shop and they gave me a few numbers of places that work on old Lexus changers, but they have a rather ridiculous flat rate. Oh well. . .

SC400Dude 06-13-03 07:58 PM

Hey Matt,
I love my new Pioneer head unit and CD changer~! No more skips~! I got the whole setup for $400 Installed w/ rewiring. It was done in a few hours too. I should have done this a long time ago.

MikeysSC 06-14-03 12:24 AM

SC400dude. . can you post some pics? i'm in the market for a new CD changer. . is it 12 disc?
oh and where in california are you located? :D

T0ked 06-14-03 07:19 AM

If you want to replace the stock CD changer, find a pre-1996 ES 6 disc changer. They plug right in, perform much better, dont skip, much quicker at switching discs, and interface perfectly with the stock head unit. They can be found for less than $150.

SC300Es 06-14-03 08:41 AM

Hey T0ked. Did you put the ES changer in your car? I know lexusaudio said 92-96 ES changers work with SCs. I see ones for sale but it says, "out of the glovebox." I thought they were placed in the trunk. Is there a difference? Do you know?

T0ked 06-14-03 10:05 AM

Yeah, i have one and connected it up. Works like a charm. The changer mechanism is much much quicker and headunit recogizes it with no problems. The only problem I have is where to mount it since it has totally different dimensions than the SC 12 Disc model. I'll devise a mounting bracket when I have more time. But I think this is the best alternative if you want to keep the stock head unit. It looks like it might have been designed for the glovebox. I don't know, but you can mount it where ever you want, basically.

SC400Dude 06-14-03 05:25 PM

Mikey,
It's a 6 disc changer and I'm sorry I don't have any pics, damn digital camera is having problems. Anyways, Its in the stock location where my 12 Disc Nakamichi unit used to be. I'm located in Santa Barbara/Ventura County.

pishta 11-07-17 07:37 AM

I got a 12disk out of a 95 SC400 and it was dirty as hell for $30 at pick-a-part, bought the warranty and didnt even need it! I plugged it in and It loaded right up in the parking lot and I listened to an Exzibit CD that was still in the cartridge! Now to see if will play a CD-r....... I also cleaned it: remove the top (5 screws, 4 under the slider and 1 at the opposite end) pry off the top as its held on by 3 clips, and use a Q-tip through the hole on top over the CD lens, you have to bend Q-tip as its about 1/2 inch to side of hole.