ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

OP disappeared...
Old 02-16-17, 05:19 PM
mercuryman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the maximum price for the red one??

What is the maximum price for the red one? The seller is asking considerably north of $8k. Or does someone else have one that they would sell for a better price?

Old 02-17-17, 07:29 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^ I thought about this a lot and I think $8000+ is worth the asking price if a bulkworth of the maintenance has already been done for you such as valve cover gaskets, oil pan leaks, oil change, timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, corresponding tensioners, front/rear seals, cam seals, clutch, AC works/recharged, heater works, tires, brakes, bushings as needed etc... A 21+ y/o SC still needs to be maintained. You don't want to fork out $8K+ and have another $2.5K+ + labor in maintenance costs.
Old 02-17-17, 09:07 PM
MaxFlii
Driver School Candidate

I bought a 93 5 speed in great condition for 8500 in socal. Knowingly slightly overpaid. Unfortunately he wouldn't budge and was my dream car available to me at a time I needed a car.
mine had 87k miles. Modestly lowered on stance cool overs, had ls4 bbk, chrome Supra TT wheels and an incredibly clean interior.
i know I overpaid but mainly cuz the tires were bald, clutch needed replaced 6 months after and stuff....
but with how few clean ones under 80k 5-speed there are you have to make that personal decision, you wanna low ball and wait and miss out on the car? If that wouldn't bum you out then it's overpriced...
The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (03-16-17)
Old 02-17-17, 09:11 PM
MaxFlii
Driver School Candidate

Also.... if you're wanting to do a lot of work on an sc. consider buying one already swapped gte or NA-T.

me personally, I've seen 3 sc400 man trans swaps that gave me some buyers regret for my car.
cars with that extensive work done to them are extreme bargains. The seller always takes a loss
Old 02-19-17, 04:59 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The white one in Tampa looks very clean, I would be all over that one at under $8k
mercuryman (02-20-17)
Old 02-20-17, 07:15 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

I must be completely out of touch on this. I paid $1800 for one manual and $1000 for another a year or so ago. Both had mediocre interiors and bad paint but I am trying to understand how that adds $7000 in value to a 20+ year old car. I stripped one and had the red one painted, combined interior pieces from the stripped one and an auto one I also gutted and the red one is looking pretty good. Still needs front seats done. But if I do a little more interior work I have a $6000 car (I cut $2k for not original paint)? Don't think so. It's still a $3000 car at best no matter what I do to it in my mind. So does "original" really bring that much premium? Just curious where this market is.
Old 02-20-17, 08:17 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You can approach it all a few different ways here, since 5 speeds tranys (were talking w58) are dime a dozen across the country, the ebay and Craigslist adds I don't see why would the car with auto to 5 speed swap wouldn't be as desireable as the original if done right with the right original parts and I think It should cost just as much may be close originals price.
I personally would get a clean automatic sc300 and go for r154 swap, if want a 5 speed I might as well get the real one that will hold 650rw. Most guys who plan on boosting their sc300 will blow that w58 in a matter of time, where it's not worth a lots of extra cash because they're going to upgrade it to either r54 or v160 some go as far as Nissan z:50or even Pontiac, so there are a few options on gearboxes why would some one pay extra for original 5speed? It's simple either they just simply want to drive it immediately not planning or boosting or working them or keeping it for a sake of collector purposes, in that case there is a probakbly around 10 in the world that has less than 5k miles on them that worth some cash the rest will be designated drivers
if you can get the red one for around 3700-4300 I find it to be a great deal as long as the car doesn't have other major issues, and it drives good which it shouldn't, but It also depending how it previously been maintained, use your own judgement...
Old 02-23-17, 03:57 PM
mercuryman
Driver School Candidate

I just want a nice all original 5-speed SC300 that I would treat as a collector car. I don't plan to make any modifications.

The red one is $11,500 and the seller says the price is firm. If it were $8,000, I would have already bought it.
Ezroni (03-16-17)
Old 02-23-17, 05:21 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, but the white one is mint too...and I saw the craigslist add, they are a dealer asking unde $8k so I am sure you can bargain them down.
Old 02-23-17, 05:27 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

$11.5k sounds way too high. That's the sort of price you expect from a car not even halfway to its first timing belt job.

Then again, if you can afford it and it's really what you want right now, no one but you can put a price on what it's worth. Most people lose money on cars, so if you plan to keep it and treat it as a classic, what's a couple grand here or there in the long run?
Old 02-24-17, 10:34 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

For that price, I'd expect dang near everything to be mint or new! rebuilt ecu, new control arms, fluids, rotors, brakes, tires etc...
Old 02-25-17, 02:47 PM
mercuryman
Driver School Candidate

This is the seller's description of the red one:

This vehicle has Never been in any accidents and comes with a Clean CarFax Report.

This vehicle has always been garaged kept, there is not a spec of rust on this vehicle, and the original paint, leather seats, dashboard, electrical components, power windows, power seats, power sunroof and ice cold AC are all in perfect working condition.

Brand New Yokohama tires & Brand New Factory Lexus battery have recently been installed for the purposes of this sale. This vehicle is completely up to date regarding maintenance, including the big 90,000 mile maintenance which included the timing belt, water pump, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, filters, cam seals, crank seal and distributor seal. Synthetic oil in gear box and final drive.

This vehicle needs absolutely nothing and is in overall perfect/pristine mechanical condition.

Minor cosmetic imperfections are as follows: The radio has a very minor chip in the plastic to the left of the screen. The leather on the steering-wheel is fading in some areas. There are a few very light scuff marks in the paint between the passenger side door & quarter panel (see picture). These are hardly noticeable and in my opinion not worth getting touched up with paint. Aside from that there's the normal wear of a few chips & pings from driving but nothing major.

Old 03-07-17, 05:00 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

I put some more thought into this, and for that price I'd rather get a low mileage soarer i.e. pictured below-this car popped up when I googled jdm soarer for sale. Hell, that's what I'm going to do when they start importing the 93.5+ MKIV supras.
Attached Thumbnails What is a fair price to pay for a 5-speed 1994 or 1995 SC300-untitled.jpg  
Ezroni (03-16-17)
Old 03-16-17, 07:24 PM
mercuryman
Driver School Candidate

Default Another possibility

not having much luck finding a nice 5-speed Sc300.

what are the pros and cons of a 1998-2000 SC400 instead? They seem to get a lot of rave reviews.

Quick Reply: What is a fair price to pay for a 5-speed 1994 or 1995 SC300