SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What is a fair price to pay for a 5-speed 1994 or 1995 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 09:59 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mercuryman
not having much luck finding a nice 5-speed Sc300.

what are the pros and cons of a 1998-2000 SC400 instead? They seem to get a lot of rave reviews.
VVT-i and lower production numbers, also gated shifter i believe
Old 03-17-17, 10:42 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezroni
VVT-i and lower production numbers, also gated shifter i believe
agreed VVT-i V8 = 300 HP and one smooth 1UZ. The 97+ front/rear bumpers and side skirts look nice too
Old 04-01-17, 07:26 PM
mercuryman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE: The red one discussed above just sold on EBAY for $12,500 which is much higher than everyone had thought.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-02-17 at 07:52 AM. Reason: No threads that link to External For Sale Sites are Allowed
Old 04-02-17, 05:15 AM
adam1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of buying this 94 on ebay. I offered 11k, he countered at 12k and I accepted. I don't know why the listing says it sold for 12.5k but it doesn't really matter because it's not a real significant difference. Hopefully it all checks out, I have a pre-purchase inspection scheduled for early next week, so I'll be able to feel good about the condition.

I thought the price was on the high side but I really appreciate a car that is garage kept, and does not show a lot of age. I know that it's much less expensive to find a car in great condition than it is to find a good but weathered car and bring it to great condition. In my opinion these cars have a lot of potential, I'm probably preaching to the choir here, and even if just left alone it should be very solid and reliable. It's not an investment.

I was looking for a really nice 4-5 seater with a manual transmission. I had an IS300 which I regret selling a few years back, but I had bought a Z06 and I decided to get it paid off. Fast forward, my kids are bigger and want to go places with me so I sold the Z06 but got the car itch again. I wanted another IS but then I came across this SC300. My criteria was specifically a 5 speed, and one that had good history, and wouldn't need much or any reconditioning. I was wavering back and fourth about this SC for a few days and on Friday I thought to myself...would I pay 12k for a 94 NA supra? For me the obvious answer is yes, so I decided to try and buy it.

Hopefully it all works out and is as nice as it seems.
Old 04-02-17, 09:09 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Any idea why the red 94 5spd has a 97+ trunk spoiler?

Pretty sure (99% sure) only SC400's came with a factory spoiler between 92-96, than in 97+ SC300 and SC400 came with the newer style spoiler from the factory. All SC300 older than 97 that had the flush mounted spoiler were a dealer accessory option that retained a third brake light in the rear deck of the cabin by the subwoofer and had no third brake light on the actual wing like on the OEM spoiler for SC400's.

But this car has a 97+ spoiler which definitely tells you it was added on at some point, curious why that's not disclosed in the ad for something "so original".
Old 04-02-17, 10:38 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

12.5k is about right for it, I probably would pay that. its alot of car for the money
Old 04-02-17, 02:39 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Both are very nice examples, and easily worth $5-7k. I got my 95' 5spd Renaissance Red on Black w/145k miles from my cousin for $2500, with a flawless interior but rust on the quarters....never in an accident!

I don't plan on this being an investment like a Supra, because the SC's don't carry that kind of a reputation (even though they share 90% of the Supra parts)...the SC was never in the Fast and the Furious so it's never going to appreciate as much.

I believe the people that will pay more for the 5spds will be the engine swapping folks.
Old 04-02-17, 02:49 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Both are very nice examples, and easily worth $5-7k. I got my 95' 5spd Renaissance Red on Black w/145k miles from my cousin for $2500, with a flawless interior but rust on the quarters....never in an accident!

I don't plan on this being an investment like a Supra, because the SC's don't carry that kind of a reputation (even though they share 90% of the Supra parts)...the SC was never in the Fast and the Furious so it's never going to appreciate as much.

I believe the people that will pay more for the 5spds will be the engine swapping folks.

It was in Fast and the Furious.
Old 04-02-17, 02:52 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikef
but it was in the movies
Good eye Mike....good eye!

Correction, what I meant was "It was never a "star car" in the Fast and the Furious."
Old 04-02-17, 03:11 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Good eye Mike....good eye!

Correction, what I meant was "It was never a "star car" in the Fast and the Furious."
funny to mention the star car, the supra in the movie was actually a na when they were beating on it. and another for show
Old 04-02-17, 05:41 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by adam1980
I'm in the process of buying this 94 on ebay. I offered 11k, he countered at 12k and I accepted. I don't know why the listing says it sold for 12.5k but it doesn't really matter because it's not a real significant difference. Hopefully it all checks out, I have a pre-purchase inspection scheduled for early next week, so I'll be able to feel good about the condition.

I thought the price was on the high side but I really appreciate a car that is garage kept, and does not show a lot of age. I know that it's much less expensive to find a car in great condition than it is to find a good but weathered car and bring it to great condition. In my opinion these cars have a lot of potential, I'm probably preaching to the choir here, and even if just left alone it should be very solid and reliable. It's not an investment.

I was looking for a really nice 4-5 seater with a manual transmission. I had an IS300 which I regret selling a few years back, but I had bought a Z06 and I decided to get it paid off. Fast forward, my kids are bigger and want to go places with me so I sold the Z06 but got the car itch again. I wanted another IS but then I came across this SC300. My criteria was specifically a 5 speed, and one that had good history, and wouldn't need much or any reconditioning. I was wavering back and fourth about this SC for a few days and on Friday I thought to myself...would I pay 12k for a 94 NA supra? For me the obvious answer is yes, so I decided to try and buy it.

Hopefully it all works out and is as nice as it seems.
welcome and congrats on the purchase. Hope u enjoy this 5 speed as much as we do
Old 04-02-17, 06:31 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

funny to mention the star car, the supra in the movie was actually a na when they were beating on it. and another for show
Lol! I like what you did there....the star car was an "NA" haha. Yeah, the one they found burned up and wrecked was in fact a 2JZ-GE, however, as they laid out the "overnight parts from Japan", I saw a bunch of GTE parts:

At the end of the day, the Supra will always be a Supra....and an SC will be an SC, and not a Supra. For us SC guys, that's great because we have more of a "selection" of affordable tuner cars....for Supra guys, not so much.

Last edited by LexIS007; 04-02-17 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-02-17, 08:56 PM
dnjsels
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

It was in Fast and the Furious.
lol nice eyes.
when did you get that scene? I have all of series so I will see that
Old 04-03-17, 04:25 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Not to mention production cut up a couple of identical looking NA's for all the driving process shots (cut up frame on trailer pulled by another vehicle with the film camera mounted on the side of the disabled car). Not every single show does it that way particularly with any very rare model but it's painful to know that this was done to any MKIV

I didn't realize an SC was in one of those films. Nice catch!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-03-17 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-03-17, 01:23 PM
5spd97
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam1980

You got a lot of car for the money. Low mileage, original, well cared for older cars will obviously be increasingly difficult to find as time goes on. They will command increasingly more money and if you dont believe it, just watch; or try to find a comparable car for less money. I have watched this play out over and over for decades, and for a wide assortment of cars. 1st generation SC's are and were special cars for their time. Add a factory manual and its icing on the cake. The truth is that 12k for almost any quality car, of any age, in good condition, with 80k miles is a pretty good deal.

Quick Reply: What is a fair price to pay for a 5-speed 1994 or 1995 SC300