SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How rare are sc300 in your state

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-16, 09:19 AM
tritron
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How rare are sc300 in your state

When I got mine sc300 10 years ago, everyone was saying on this forum that the cars will get valuable when they get 20+ years old. I see them going for cheap now. There are few sc300 in Colorado I saw 5 posted on craigslist in last few months and I saw couple being driven around. It would be nice to extract numbers of sc300/400 registered around the country in each state. How ofthe you see sc300/400 driving around how rare it is?
Old 12-13-16, 09:30 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tritron
When I got mine sc300 10 years ago, everyone was saying on this forum that the cars will get valuable when they get 20+ years old. I see them going for cheap now. There are few sc300 in Colorado I saw 5 posted on craigslist in last few months and I saw couple being driven around. It would be nice to extract numbers of sc300/400 registered around the country in each state. How ofthe you see sc300/400 driving around how rare it is?
I see them going for cheap because those need a load of work, and plus is almost impossible to find good condition parts.
A good condition sc is about 5k for a normal auto one. the only valuable ones are the manuals, pricing can range from 8k to 50k. If you been to thornton or anywhere near denver you probably seen my red one, sometimes I try to go to a car show. but its not registered here if that's what this thread is about. Ive seen a white one and he lives by me but never had a chance to talk yet, Seen him at king super, there around but it's rare. wait till the market gets flooded with soarers and see how the market reacts

​​

Last edited by mikef; 12-13-16 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-14-16, 08:55 AM
tritron
Lead Lap

I had family friend who had 1994 sc400 in Denver, CO but he sold it. I bought mine sc300 10 years ago because of it. I saw someone claiming that there are 50,000 in existence today. That means I would see tons of them driving around.
Old 12-14-16, 09:58 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by tritron
I saw someone claiming that there are 50,000 in existence today.
You're probably referring to my post from a couple days ago, but you lost the context... I said there were 82,500 built, which means ~55,000 still on the road. That's just based on general percentages for cars that old.
Old 12-16-16, 11:37 AM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

They have virtually vanished in SE Texas. Over 6 months will go by and you will never see a 1st gen SC in the Houston area with a population of over 5.5 million people. Of the ones you do see 90% of the time it is a junker example that is barely running. A lesser car would have already died but they soldier on.

They are pretty much worthless cars now. About $3K top dollar is what you can expect one in average shape to be worth. That means some clear coat damage, leather cracked, foggy yellow headlights, etc. Most are $1500-2000 cars these days. The rare 98+ models of SC400 are the ones that I see getting a premium if they are low mileage and mint. A black on black 98 at 29K miles with Nak and heated seats sold for $16K in my area last year. No new $16K car can come close to what that one gave the buyer for the money. I suppose there will come a time when there are under 500 SCs left in the world and then MAYBE we could see one sell for $50K+ as a collector car. By then a loaf bread will cost $20.

Last edited by texan_176; 12-16-16 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-16-16, 12:32 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by texan_176
Of the ones you do see 90% of the time it is a junker example that is barely running. A lesser car would have already died but they soldier on.
Less and less people are restoring them PROPERLY . As you said , they just wait till it doesn't run anymore .

Originally Posted by texan_176
I suppose there will come a time when there are under 500 SCs left in the world and then MAYBE we could see one sell for $50K+ as a collector car. By then a loaf bread will cost $20.
Some places barely have any SCs around , some places .. tons of them . Our Atlanta Craigslist always have a lot of SCs for sale and people looking for parts. The salvage auction sites have tons of them. Their appeal especially to those who can restore them properly have been lost since you see more bastardized SC than really good ones on the road now. Survey says it 70% of SC owners belong to the 27 years and younger demographics. At no fault of theirs, they are either not yet stable in their career or had just started in their career so restoring such a luxury car where it should be is not within their means. Besides , restoring an SC PROPERLY to where it should be ISN'T CHEAP. But they want an SC because it is the closest thing to the Supra MKIV which is even harder for them to own not unless they are kids of rich parents. They know they have a car in the SC300 that can go fast if done right You simply see them using the car till the last bolt falls then just retire it or sell it. I have seen this with the so many young owners who have been to my place. You see in them the pride in owning an SC but when the cost of maintaining it starts to trickle in , there you see why it wasn't the right car for them in the first place.

Will they ever go high in price ? I doubt it . Right now they are a dime a dozen !

Last edited by gerrb; 12-16-16 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-16-16, 01:23 PM
jwynn
Pole Position

Default Upstate NY

I never see any SCs around here (upstate NY). My friend, I played high school football with had one and lived right up the street but other than that literally only a handful. I've only seen one in Albany (capital of NY) and one in Saratoga. Both very stock and seemed to be beat on. There was only one other guy who bought my 99 front bumper and he said he built his to around 600 hp. Never saw it but it seemed as though it would be somewhat taken care of. He told me I had the nicest/cleanest one he's seen in NY. This is the large area I'm talking about and Ive only seen less than a handful. Hope this puts it in perspective.
Old 12-17-16, 01:58 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

were are these dime a dozen sc, I have a hard time finding any good condition ones and plus manual sc is more rarer then a supra so I wonder why they are still in the shadows, if anyone is smart it would be to find the good condition ones and store them away.
Old 12-18-16, 01:43 AM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen more SC430's than SC400's. Only issue is that I saw two SC400's in one day and didn't know if they were 300's or 400's, because I know the different styling between a 1989-'94 LS400 and a '95-2000 LS400. But not the SC class, hell I had the chance to ask one of the owners or inspect his car when he wasnt looking.

I tend to do that a lot and I think I scared a Lexus owner, had a new 2016 ES, seemed to drive away offly fast when he noticed I was inside my car that was parked next to him.
Old 12-18-16, 06:14 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by mikef
were are these dime a dozen sc, I have a hard time finding any good condition ones and plus manual sc is more rarer then a supra so I wonder why they are still in the shadows, if anyone is smart it would be to find the good condition ones and store them away.
Originally Posted by BTC89LS400
I've seen more SC430's than SC400's. Only issue is that I saw two SC400's in one day and didn't know if they were 300's or 400's, because I know the different styling between a 1989-'94 LS400 and a '95-2000 LS400. But not the SC class, hell I had the chance to ask one of the owners or inspect his car when he wasnt looking.

I tend to do that a lot and I think I scared a Lexus owner, had a new 2016 ES, seemed to drive away offly fast when he noticed I was inside my car that was parked next to him.
either you are not really looking hard enough or you are at the wrong place looking for one . Why do you think , SCs that are being sold at a higher price sits for a very long time and not being sold ? You see them on some websites and even here on our Classified Ads ? They are there for years. It is not that they are not worth it. In fact some are worth every penny. But so many believe they can get something cheaper which in a way is true if they try hard enough looking.

Am just about to pickup my 3rd 1 of 120 1997 SC300 5 speed for $800 with a bad engine / good transmission but immaculate body and interior black on black . The W58 transmission alone is worth that much. Check Atlanta Craigslist every day . I have never seen a week without a number of SCs there. Some maybe pricey and some give away. With so many local kids / guys coming to my place looking for parts cause they know i will surely have one, I get to know where those that are for sale even if they are not posted on any classified ad. I can tell you right now 2 running 5 speed SC300 for sale in Georgia for less than $2500. I can even tell you a moderator on this forum selling an SC with 2jzgte and 5 speed transmission for less than $5000 to me. So, the cheap ones exis, just got to know how and where to look for them .

In fact am selling two of my extra shells on the Atlanta Craigslist for $300 now , lol. With just the rims and almost new tires , I can get that $300 and keep the shell. Or just by selling the window regulators and door lock actuators I can get $300 and still keep the shell. But am basically giving the shells away at $300. If those are not cheap enough , I don't know what you call it. Truly , just by selling a few parts from the $300 shell , you get back your money and get the shell FREE with CLEAN TITLE . It can't get better than that . Then one can get a salvaged / rebuilt title car , tons of them if you know where to look , and move everything so he / she can have a cleaned titled car .

Last edited by gerrb; 12-20-16 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-18-16, 07:52 AM
mattJZZ31
Driver School Candidate

Dirt cheap and treated like garbage for the most part here in Australia. Although we do have a small following in each state.
Old 12-18-16, 09:24 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I would see maybe 5-10 a year if I had to guess in the busy Chicago area and surrounding suburbs.

Either they are old, stock, beat up and neglected, or riced out.

I did see a couple of MINT super clean SCs this year, one by a fancy steakhouse and one parked in the driveway of a multimillion dollar house in a fancy subdivision. Very rare sight indeed.
Old 12-18-16, 12:12 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know of where one is near me that I believe still runs. Mint condition. I'm sure if I were to ask if it were for sale I could get it. It's in better shape than mine. As tempting as it maybe and me not wanting it to fall into the wrong hands I got quite the collection of cars already. Although I have thought about have an extra for a 1jz. Hmmm lol
Old 12-18-16, 02:13 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

In Northern California there are still quite a few on the road in various conditions. Most are stock and worn down being used as daily commuters by obvious second or third owners. (I say "obvious" since a lot of the drivers are younger than the car....)

Prices are typically on the low side and all depends on year, mileage, condition. Pristine 300s and 400s are asking 8-10K (rarely do they get that). Older ones you see $1K to maybe $2-3K; beaters below that. Any car close to stock will come with the long list of maintenance, repairs, and fixes along with whatever modification aspirations the new buyer has.

The ones I get a kick out of are the young folks that acquire a first gen SC from a relative and then realize the investment/commitment involved for our passion; takes a village of help/guidance and a stack of money.... (All worth it to some of us - me - and not so much to others.)
Old 12-18-16, 02:25 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
In Northern California there are still quite a few on the road in various conditions. Most are stock and worn down being used as daily commuters by obvious second or third owners. (I say "obvious" since a lot of the drivers are younger than the car....)

Prices are typically on the low side and all depends on year, mileage, condition. Pristine 300s and 400s are asking 8-10K (rarely do they get that). Older ones you see $1K to maybe $2-3K; beaters below that. Any car close to stock will come with the long list of maintenance, repairs, and fixes along with whatever modification aspirations the new buyer has.

The ones I get a kick out of are the young folks that acquire a first gen SC from a relative and then realize the investment/commitment involved for our passion; takes a village of help/guidance and a stack of money.... (All worth it to some of us - me - and not so much to others.)
I like your list of cars in your signature. Very fine automobiles. All of them.
The following users liked this post:
nlemus12 (07-08-20)

Quick Reply: How rare are sc300 in your state