ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000-6/)
-   -   Genuine Soarers in the USA (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/837182-genuine-soarers-in-the-usa.html)

SoarerTara 10-18-16 02:26 PM

Genuine Soarers in the USA

Just curious how many of these have made it over here. I have a 91, JZZ30-0001184. Post some pictures if you got one!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...1e4d3820b6.jpg

KahnBB6 10-18-16 03:10 PM

Beautiful 1991 model! I think it's so recent that people have been able to legally import these that there isn't much of a specific community for them as of yet. A Soarer registry would be a cool addition to CL though, including the Z20's.

LionsTent 10-18-16 03:31 PM

Nice! I saw the interior pics in the new member forum....CLEEEEEN! Any plans for mods? If not, no problem...keeping it stock would be awesome.

SoarerTara 10-18-16 05:18 PM

I never manage to leave anything stock, however I am gonna try not to mess with this too much. This is gonna be my daily driver, so comfortable and reliable are the order of the day. So many horsies to find with just an exhaust and airbox mod that I will probably be doing those two. But beyond that no plans other than stereo related modifications. The exhaust is driving me nuts though, what's with the utter lack of aftermarket support! I suppose I am just going to have to have one made, as I want to keep the appearance stockish at least(no single exit for me).

TXMAG 10-18-16 05:44 PM

Did you import this yourself or was it already in the US?

Tabaka 10-18-16 07:11 PM

Would really like a Z20 someday. Just couldn't imagine spending near $10 grand on a 1980's Toyota vehicle lol. The JZZ Soarers are sometimes fairly priced depending on the importer. Virginia has a great JDM importer down in the Richmond area that gets a Z20 or JZZ30 once in a while.

ThomasGS4 10-18-16 09:27 PM

I know of one locally, his name username on here is BAZ. He hasn't posted in a while.

SoarerTara 10-19-16 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by TXMAG (Post 9653594)
Did you import this yourself or was it already in the US?

Im bringing it in myself.

TXMAG 10-19-16 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by SoarerTara (Post 9654044)
Im bringing it in myself.

Very cool. Is it in Japan or in Canada? I'm thinking about trying to import an R32 Skyline from Japan when I get back to the States so hearing how other people did something similar is of interest.

SoarerTara 10-19-16 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tabaka (Post 9653676)
Would really like a Z20 someday. Just couldn't imagine spending near $10 grand on a 1980's Toyota vehicle lol. The JZZ Soarers are sometimes fairly priced depending on the importer. Virginia has a great JDM importer down in the Richmond area that gets a Z20 or JZZ30 once in a while.

I love the look of the Z20, but its not as easy to find parts for and most are 1G engines which I consider too much of a risk with an unknown service history. The JZZ30 doesn't stand out like the Z20 does but if some **** backs into me in a parking lot I will at least be able to repair it without trying to buy new panels overseas, lol.

SoarerTara 10-19-16 09:11 AM

Its in Japan actually, coming over on a RO/RO transport at the end of the month. As for importing, as long as you are not in California it's not too tough, be prepared to deal with ignorant DMV clerks though and budget extra time between the cars arrival and when you actually get plates for it. There is a near 100% chance you will be the first person who's ever asked that DMV employee to figure out how to issue a title for a car with only a 12 digit vin. This means mistakes and incorrect info will be rampant and that slows things down considerably. You will need the services of a good customs broker just to get it off the boat as well. Make sure you get one that is local to the port where you are bringing it in and one that knows how to import cars under the 25 year exemption. I called 10 brokers for this car, only 2 even understood the process. Having somebody who knows the port employees just makes things smoother and quicker, you are going to be at a disadvantage on importing cars from Japan anyway due to being on the wrong coast. Gonna bring shipping costs and transport times way up.

TXMAG 10-19-16 05:09 PM

Yeah, if I decide to import something I'll most likely have dropped at a port on the west coast then just have a shipping company bring it to Texas or maybe just grab a truck and trailer to pick it up myself. Also, please please please keep this thread updated. I'm sure there are several of us that would like to keep track of this.

SoarerTara 10-19-16 10:10 PM

Oh if anything I am more worried about boring the hell out of everybody with far too much talk about it. I still have 24 days to go and I am already bouncing off the walls.

SoarerTara 10-19-16 10:16 PM

I have a ton more pictures of it too if people want to see more.

TXMAG 10-19-16 10:38 PM

You're on an enthusiast forum... More info and pics please!