Genuine Soarers in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-16, 09:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So I gotta ask about some of the weird JDM options on your car. So far I see:

Rear wiper- never understood that one except on SUV's when you go mudding

Headlight washers???? Trying to figure out what that black/chrome thing is next to the headlight

Is that a trip computer in the gauge display, ie tells your fuel consumption, miles to empty, etc??? That's the one thing I can't believe they didn't put into US spec cars, Cadillac came out with that feature in the 1980 Seville.

And lastly WTF is that TV monitor/screen on the passenger side of the dash??? I assume that's some sort of aftermarket tv or gps or something.
Folding power mirrors??? Or are those extra buttons for heated mirrors?

What sort of suspension setup does your car have? I don't see buttons on the console for the adjustible suspension option, but the shock towers on my car that uses conventional shocks/springs are different, they don't have that black cap.
Old 10-20-16, 11:03 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Rear wiper- never understood that one except on SUV's when you go mudding.
Probably depends on the area. Around here, it would be immensely useful. I squeegee the back window almost as often as I use the windshield wipers, otherwise the slimy film of tree and grass pollen mixed with constant rain is tough to see through with such a steep rake to the glass.
Old 10-20-16, 11:36 PM
SoarerTara
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I gotta ask about some of the weird JDM options on your car. So far I see:

Rear wiper- never understood that one except on SUV's when you go mudding

Headlight washers???? Trying to figure out what that black/chrome thing is next to the headlight
That is a parking pole. JDM accessory, its like a miniature power antenna with a light on the top to help you see where the corner of the vehicle is when parking.

Is that a trip computer in the gauge display, ie tells your fuel consumption, miles to empty, etc??? That's the one thing I can't believe they didn't put into US spec cars, Cadillac came out with that feature in the 1980 Seville.
Yep I do believe the digital dash had the trip computer.

And lastly WTF is that TV monitor/screen on the passenger side of the dash??? I assume that's some sort of aftermarket tv or gps or something.
Folding power mirrors??? Or are those extra buttons for heated mirrors?
I think its a GPS, it has a wired remote control and cigarette lighter plug on the center console. Looks very GPSish. I am hoping it comes off the glove box cleanly... lol. Yes this has power folding mirrors and I do believe both buttons are for that.

What sort of suspension setup does your car have? I don't see buttons on the console for the adjustable suspension option, but the shock towers on my car that uses conventional shocks/springs are different, they don't have that black cap.
Its a TEMS suspension with coil springs. Only MKIII supras and v8s with air suspension have the switch. Coil spring Z30 cars don't have a switch for it, though legend has it the system is tied into the ECT power switch. From what I have read turning the ECT switch to PWR firms up the suspension as well as the shifts.
Old 10-21-16, 04:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SoarerTara
That is a parking pole. JDM accessory, its like a miniature power antenna with a light on the top to help you see where the corner of the vehicle is when parking.

Yep I do believe the digital dash had the trip computer.

I think its a GPS, it has a wired remote control and cigarette lighter plug on the center console. Looks very GPSish. I am hoping it comes off the glove box cleanly... lol. Yes this has power folding mirrors and I do believe both buttons are for that.

Its a TEMS suspension with coil springs. Only MKIII supras and v8s with air suspension have the switch. Coil spring Z30 cars don't have a switch for it, though legend has it the system is tied into the ECT power switch. From what I have read turning the ECT switch to PWR firms up the suspension as well as the shifts.
See I thought TEMS suspension meant it had air springs. So its just an electronically controlled shock, right???
Old 10-21-16, 09:47 PM
SoarerTara
Driver School Candidate

See I thought TEMS suspension meant it had air springs. So its just an electronically controlled shock, right???
Yep TEMS is just the electronically controlled shock, air suspension is a separate option. AFAIK they don't even share a controller on cars with both.
Old 10-31-16, 11:48 AM
SoarerTara
Driver School Candidate

Got confirmation last night, car is loaded on the boat and on its way!! Now to find a way to survive until it gets here, #nopatience. Here is a tracking link if anybody wants to follow the boat.

Last edited by SoarerTara; 10-31-16 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-31-16, 02:06 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two popped up on CL out here in NY. Prices were pretty high, condition wasn't that great. I want to know how much it costs to import one because these imported ones up for grabs are too damn much for the condition from what I've seen.
Old 11-01-16, 12:05 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't seen any soarers in my area. But have seen a r32 skyline
Old 11-01-16, 02:46 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden95SC
Haven't seen any soarers in my area. But have seen a r32 skyline
1989 R32 Skylines have been fully legal to import since at least late 2014 or possibly early 2015 (depending on the EXACT month of original manufacture for each car within model year 1989) . 1991 Soarers only became eligible this year. Give it some more time and they'll catch up
Old 11-01-16, 07:38 PM
2JZ4lyfe
Rookie

Wow, soarer prices are rising. If I did not put any money into mine I could get twice as much back.
Old 11-01-16, 10:00 PM
SoarerTara
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2JZ4lyfe
Wow, soarer prices are rising. If I did not put any money into mine I could get twice as much back.
Lol I stole this one, but I'm not posting price so I don't drag down values. Who knows I might sell it. I had a 280z I dug up in Pahrump NV that only had 28k miles on it when I bought it. I thought it was 120k and so did the seller so I paid 2800 for it, lol. Problem was once I realized true mileage I felt guilty for driving it and I had already purchased an RB20 to swap into it which I just was not OK with putting into such a clean car. I'm hoping this one doesn't bug me, it's a crapload newer and there are still a lot of these in super good shape so I think I'm gonna be OK. Granted I've never seen another one with sub 25k on the clock but I'm fairly confident there are a few lurking around in Japan in similar condition and mileage. That and while I'm glad I kept the 280z in original condition the 260z I bought to replace it was a steaming pile of poop and made me wish I'd have just swapped the 280 lol.
Old 11-07-16, 10:35 AM
SoarerTara
Driver School Candidate

OMG less than a week now till my car is on US soil, here is hoping CBP doesn't decide to make me jump through a ton of hoops!
Old 11-07-16, 02:26 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by SoarerTara
OMG less than a week now till my car is on US soil, here is hoping CBP doesn't decide to make me jump through a ton of hoops!
Fingers crossed! Just have all the paperwork in order and a great broker at the port!
Old 11-08-16, 08:04 AM
atoledo
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Been following this thread. This is super exciting! I hope everything goes smoothly. Be sure to post pictures IMMEDIATELY haha
Old 11-08-16, 04:41 PM
SoarerTara
Driver School Candidate

I always speak too soon, Boat hit a storm off the Aleutian Islands and turned back for a bit so now its not hitting Long Beach until the 17th . The wait is effing killing me. On the upside the export certificate confirmed the mileage is accurate. Car has only had about 5000km put on it since 2004. That plus condition makes the 39000km odometer reading as legit as one can get without a full service history anyway.

If anybody wants to be a nerd like me and follow the boat, here is the tracking link.
http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/.../shipid:289955

Last edited by SoarerTara; 11-08-16 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Added tracking link

Quick Reply: Genuine Soarers in the USA