SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Drive shaft-What is this part called? Part Number?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16, 06:47 PM
xt1956
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive shaft-What is this part called? Part Number?

I had my 95 SC300 AT checked out last week for a vibration, and was told I needed a U-joint and a Center Support Bearing, but the shop could not locate these parts. I found the Center Support Bearing (P/N 37230-24100), but when I search for a u-joint, I don't find anything that looks like it. This part comes out just behind the transmission. What is this part called? Does anyone have the part number? Any idea where I can get one?
Attached Thumbnails Drive shaft-What is this part called? Part Number?-u-joint-lexus.png  
Old 04-11-16, 06:49 PM
xt1956
Driver School Candidate

I should probably explain that with the car in drive and the drive shaft spinning, this part appears slightly wobbly, not spinning straight. This is why they stated I need to replace it.
Old 04-11-16, 07:14 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Dude,

I believe it is a permanent part of the shaft that it's attached to. You'll need to replace the entire shaft.

Last edited by freakness; 04-11-16 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 08:25 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Wobble could be due to alignment. Was the center bearing adjusted properly?

Play in the universal joint would be the right reason to replace them ... or the whole shaft.

Check with drive shaft repair shops. See if if they can rebuild it. If they can please share as the understanding is that U joint is non-serviceable.

Salim
Old 04-11-16, 08:34 PM
xt1956
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Wobble could be due to alignment. Was the center bearing adjusted properly?

Play in the universal joint would be the right reason to replace them ... or the whole shaft.

Check with drive shaft repair shops. See if if they can rebuild it. If they can please share as the understanding is that U joint is non-serviceable.

Salim
Salim,

Three questions:
1) Are you saying this part is called a universal joint?
2) Can a universal joint be purchased separately? Where?
3) As far as alignment and was the center bearing adjusted properly, I know nothing about auto mechanics. Do you mean did I have an alignment done, and was the center bearing adjusted? Is that what you are asking?
Old 04-11-16, 11:30 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by xt1956
Salim,

Three questions:
1) Are you saying this part is called a universal joint?
2) Can a universal joint be purchased separately? Where?
3) As far as alignment and was the center bearing adjusted properly, I know nothing about auto mechanics. Do you mean did I have an alignment done, and was the center bearing adjusted? Is that what you are asking?
1) U-joint -> universal Joint ,, this joint allows coupling in all directions due to "X" which allows pivoting.

2) For many vehicles the "X" and the cups can be replaced. Some have a snap ring to hold the cups, but all the learned folks here say that for SC they are non-serviceable. Can a driveshaft shop figure out a solution? Can they cut and weld another part? Would you be happy with their work?

3) Engine and transmission are mated together. The output from transmission to the diff in the rear need to be aligned perfectly so that the rotation of the shaft does not wobble. Also as the shaft should be able to stretch and compress . The position of the center bearing plays a major part in aligning the shaft. [very different from wheel alignment]

4) Dynamic (rotational weight balancing) ... Done at the factory and you should mark each coupling before disassembly and match the marks on assembling. Mark your center carrier on the body too.

We all start learning and it never ends. I learnt my basics by Reader's digest Complete car manual ... printed many years ago and the modern cars are much more sophisticated but for about $5 (i am guessing) it is a fine book to get going.

Salim
Old 04-12-16, 10:55 AM
tptpete
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah from what I know it isn't serviceable. Either new drive shaft or some will cut it off and weld a new one on. I'd replace the whole thing though.
Old 04-12-16, 08:27 PM
xt1956
Driver School Candidate

It's looking like I need to replace the entire drive shaft. Can't find the Universal joint by itself. Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 04-13-16, 05:48 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have a driveshaft from a 95 sc3 85k miles, 150 shipped via greyhound
Old 04-13-16, 07:24 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

isn't serviceable, I would go custom so you can repair it next time
Old 04-14-16, 05:50 PM
xt1956
Driver School Candidate

I found a shop that can get me a new universal joint and connect it so that it can be changed later down the road. The center support bearing also needs to be replaced. I asked if they use a Toyota bearing, and they stated their brand of bearing is excellent (Nateo, Neato or something like that)-has anyone heard of this brand? This shop is about 70 miles away and hasn't seen the car, but has only seen the photo I posted here. The car was driven way too long with the vibration, and basically now shouldn't be driven and needs to be towed. A family member had been using it and I didn't realize how bad it had gotten.

Some are saying I should replace the entire drive shaft and others think I should do the repair. How many other parts could have been damaged by the driveshaft operating that way for so long? I am on the fence about repair vs. replace. Looking for a few more opinions... and any input on what brand center support bearing I should insist on if I do the repair
Old 04-14-16, 07:14 PM
salimshah

No brainer is to change the oil seal on either end.

At the end it is risk aversion and amount of money you want to spend. You have price of the shaft form Aliga and check the price of new and cost to build it. You will have to make the call about repair quality and expected life and warranty.

Salim
Old 04-15-16, 10:04 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dont overthink it, put in another driveshaft, and call it a day.

save your bucks.
Old 04-16-16, 12:59 PM
CDD200
Driver School Candidate

The whole end will have to be replaced. The factory joint is stacked in. So the slip yoke and the weld yoke with a new joint. As long as they balance the assy afterward it should be fine. But if you had the funds it would be a good time to go one piece shaft steel or alum.
Old 04-21-16, 05:22 PM
xt1956
Driver School Candidate

The driveshaft shop finally got around to getting my car up on the lift today and found it had broken motor mounts and broken transmission mount to add to the damage. Thankfully the shaft itself is good, the center support bearing is good, and so is the flex coupling. I am going to go ahead and have him take off the universal joint and get a new one put on. He is able to attach it so that it can be replaced in the future if need be. He’s got 20 years experience, so I am anticipating a good outcome. Thank you to all who gave their input and suggestions!