SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sikky LS mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 01:03 PM
DatMoFo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sikky LS mount

Hey CL. I'm planning on doing an LS 5.3 in my SC300. I just recently found the Sikky mount kit that comes with motor mounts, tranny mount, oil pan, drive shaft, and oil filter relocating kit and was wondering if anybody has the kit in their SC? From the product description, it's exactly what I'm looking for but I haven't seen any reviews for the SC version.

Here's the link if you haven't seen it.
http://www.sikky.com/product/lexus-sc300-lsx-mount-kit/
Old 01-13-16, 02:28 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice, way to be different man, its def been done before but not sure on this specific kit.

Side note, can I ask why you decided to go this route? Was your motor bad or something? Just running numbers in my head and the 5-6k you're about to drop for a completed V8 swap could net you triple the power from a Toyota motor. Totally just wondering?
Old 01-13-16, 08:24 PM
DatMoFo
Driver School Candidate

One reason I wanted to do this is, yes, to be different. I love American muscle cars (my dream car is a '68 Camaro) and I wanted to bring an element of muscle to my car. I have an admittedly irrational hatred for Turbo whine so a GTE conversion was out the question. Also, I've been researching this for months and I've found the initial components for the swap would add up to around $3000. I plan on selling my motor and tranny after the swap so that would allow me to get some, if not all, of my money back.
Old 01-13-16, 09:15 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Nice, way to be different man, its def been done before but not sure on this specific kit.

Side note, can I ask why you decided to go this route? Was your motor bad or something? Just running numbers in my head and the 5-6k you're about to drop for a completed V8 swap could net you triple the power from a Toyota motor. Totally just wondering?
I'd be really interested in seeing how you came up with 5-6K for triple the power from a Toyota motor. Not trying to be rude but I'm honestly curious considering the price of a 2JZ-GTE + R154 or Z33 and labor / wiring / ECM and other misc parts to net a x3 power advantage over a v8 would be well over the $5,000 price
Old 01-14-16, 10:45 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by Deegee
I'd be really interested in seeing how you came up with 5-6K for triple the power from a Toyota motor. Not trying to be rude but I'm honestly curious considering the price of a 2JZ-GTE + R154 or Z33 and labor / wiring / ECM and other misc parts to net a x3 power advantage over a v8 would be well over the $5,000 price
Didn't take it rude at all man, but who said anything about a GTE swap? That's why I asked if his motor was blown. That's most guys first mistake, besides oil squirters they are identical motors.

But my point was adding up the cost of a LSx motor, T56 trans, that $1900 Sikky kit and a custom loom among whatever tidbits he'd run into just to have a 300-350hp V8 in a car that weighs MORE than the Camaro or Vette it came out of.. Compared to getting rods, pistons for the GE, coupled with a single turbo, COP, megasquirt, fuel and tuned to 900+ HP. That could be done for the same or less $$ with again a good tune, 3x the power.

Having the V8 growl is great but all that work for 350ish horsepower seems like a waste? I have full and total respect knowing its rare and the surprise factor you'll give many people, I just wanted to voice my opinion I guess. Hobbies are hobbies and as long as its fun for the guy building it, that's all that matters. Didn't want to over step here, just comparing and wondering, that's all.
Old 01-14-16, 10:50 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by DatMoFo
One reason I wanted to do this is, yes, to be different. I love American muscle cars (my dream car is a '68 Camaro) and I wanted to bring an element of muscle to my car. I have an admittedly irrational hatred for Turbo whine so a GTE conversion was out the question. Also, I've been researching this for months and I've found the initial components for the swap would add up to around $3000. I plan on selling my motor and tranny after the swap so that would allow me to get some, if not all, of my money back.
Hey fair enough, My parents had a couple classics while I was growing up and I fell in love with the 69 Camaro and 70' Chevelle's, great era..
Old 01-14-16, 11:17 AM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested in which 5.3L LS engine he's going with. The only actual "LS" designated engine at 5.3L is the LS4, which was the odd FWD version of the LS3, but smaller displacement. While the shortened crank, remote water pump, and compact single serpentine belt for accessories sound like it might make mounting easier, I would worry about compatibility with the kits and transmissions (the output shaft is 3mm shorter.) And you're only getting 300HP out of it, so not really much more than a VVT-i SC400.

It's not like the LS hasn't been fitted in an SC before, so we know they can fit. At that point you might as well go with a larger displacement LS to make the most of the project.

Although, that's assuming that it's a model designated LS and not just a Generation III Small Block Chevy V8 commonly referred to as being in the LS family. But even then it'd still be around 300 to 320HP and quite possibly an iron block. Unless it's an EcoTec, but not a whole lot of people have an EcoTec L83 sitting around on a pallet.

If I was buying an LS to put in to an SC I'd look at an LS3. 430-ish HP (+/- ~5HP), all aluminum, and popular. The design is approaching 10 years old, now, though still a current production engine. Which means it's easy to find used since it was used in quite a few cars, and there's lots of knowledge and mods.

The next challenge would be to source proper looking "620" lettering to replace the "300" for the back of your SC.
Old 01-14-16, 12:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

He is probably talking about the iron block LM7. its the only one I would go with because its cheap, widely available, and easy to strap a blower or turbo to it, will net you 5-600hp which is quite fun on a v8. that is the only LS type swap I would ever consider, cause I require a turbo on all my go fast cars.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/pro...ernative-fuel/

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-14-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 12:20 PM
DatMoFo
Driver School Candidate

I've been looking into the LM7 and L33 vortec motors. They run cheap and with upgraded internals they will make 400-500hp. I may change my mind and go for the LS1, 2, or 3 but for now this is what I'm thinking.
Old 01-14-16, 01:05 PM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
go with the iron block LS out of a truck and strap a blower or turbo to it, easy to get 5-600hp. that is the only LS swap I would ever consider.
You can get that out of an aluminum block LS1, no need for the extra weight of Iron. Hell, you can get about 500HP out of a 5.7L LS1 without forced induction. Lingenfelter does an LS1 Supercharger package to bring it up to 650HP with the stock LS1 block and heads.

An aluminum block LS engine is plenty strong.

I see now that you're talking about an LM7 and L33, but without forced induction (at least not turbo, considering your aversion to the sound; a supercharger isn't that much different sounding.) The LM7 is iron block, L33 is aluminum. There's about 65lbs difference between the two.

You can get either one well past 500HP without worrying about the block strength. Unless you're doing crazy induction, Nitrous, or boring it out I would go with the lighter block on the L33 and save weight. The weight will help for both performance and for installation. Plus the L33 was slightly higher compression and had better heads. So if you're not cracking the engine open, you should get better use of bolt on performance with the L33.

Sure, in theory LM7's are usually cheaper than L33's, but in practice not by all that much, maybe $100 to $200.
Old 01-14-16, 05:30 PM
DatMoFo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the opinions and info guys but we're a little off topic. Has anyone on here installed the Sikky mounts with their swap?
Old 01-14-16, 06:38 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

This is the only thing I found:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...t-few-outtings

Not quite what you're looking for, but it's a very positive reflection of the company itself, so probably a good swap kit offering.
Old 01-14-16, 09:40 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to list the awesome / excellent quality / discontinued / rare DGR chromoly engine mount kit with T56 transmission mount that I didn't end up using, in about 5 seconds if you're interested! (*Or anyone else who happens to read this first). I haven't listed it on the Facebook pages yet. Looks great compared to the steel kit on Ebay which is $950. I'm asking $750 plus shipping.

Here's a pic of the full kit:

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 01-14-16 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-15-16, 04:24 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how can you not like turbo whine, just saying...
Old 04-23-16, 07:12 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matguy
You can get that out of an aluminum block LS1, no need for the extra weight of Iron. Hell, you can get about 500HP out of a 5.7L LS1 without forced induction. Lingenfelter does an LS1 Supercharger package to bring it up to 650HP with the stock LS1 block and heads.

An aluminum block LS engine is plenty strong.

I see now that you're talking about an LM7 and L33, but without forced induction (at least not turbo, considering your aversion to the sound; a supercharger isn't that much different sounding.) The LM7 is iron block, L33 is aluminum. There's about 65lbs difference between the two..
1. lm7's cost like 500 bucks with wiring harness all day long. they are plentiful, cheap, and good
2. aluminum versions (L33) weigh about 100lbs less
3. lm7's still weigh less than the 2jzGE not to mention easily 100lbs less than a GTE swap.

i'm doing this because after spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to get a super responsive na-t setup and a good manual to bolt to the 2j i'd be spending twice as much (or three times as much) as a junkyard 5.3 swap with a T56.

300rwhp and 350ftlbs tq in my car after i shuck 300lbs will be tons of fun. the added maintenance and cost of a turbo 2j just isn't worth it for such a low power number. plus weight is dumb. also 450rwhp from a 6.0 lq9 is easy as pie and everything the ls/lm7/l33's use bolts right up to that engine as well. the ls platform is pretty hard to beat in terms of versatility and cost effectiveness.

i'm going to try to use all of the truck accessories and intake stuff if i can fit it under the hood to keep things cost effective and see if it can be done.

Quick Reply: Sikky LS mount