SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just bought my first SC400...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-15, 07:29 PM
jflorence
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first SC400...

Well, after reading a bunch of info on here and stumbling on just the right (low miles) car, I purchased a '93 SC400 on Thursday. I'm totally loving this car so far. It only has 33,000 miles on it now but will be my commuter so it'll be racking them up from here on out.

Thanks to all those that have contributed to the excellent content on this forum!

New wheels and tires are on the way, and I'll post more pictures once I get them on...hopefully I didn't blow it on my wheel selection.

Old 11-22-15, 07:31 PM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Clean! Congrats!
Old 11-22-15, 07:36 PM
jflorence
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Duster.
Old 11-22-15, 10:03 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Current wheels look pretty good, too..... Welcome to CL.....
Old 11-22-15, 10:39 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Very, very nice! Welcome to CL, jflorence!

With such low mileage for the age though, make sure you give the engine and suspension bushings a good inspection. And definitely change all the fluids if you have no previous records of that having ben done. Checking the condition of the timing belt might be a good idea too since at only 33k it likely has never been changed. If you have service records saying otherwise though, then no need to be concerned.

Something else you can do is register your username on Lexus.com in the "owners" section and you can add your car's VIN and see all the reported records from Lexus or a Lexus authorized dealer. Also, you can add your own service records (the shop doesn't matter, even if you want to say "owner" was the one who performed a service) to that VIN record in their database, albeit with some limited descriptive or category options.

Looks great!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-22-15 at 10:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ray3 (04-11-20)
Old 11-23-15, 07:27 AM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Very, very nice! Welcome to CL, jflorence!
Something else you can do is register your username on Lexus.com in the "owners" section and you can add your car's VIN and see all the reported records from Lexus or a Lexus authorized dealer. Also, you can add your own service records (the shop doesn't matter, even if you want to say "owner" was the one who performed a service) to that VIN record in their database, albeit with some limited descriptive or category options.

Looks great!
Wow didn't know we could do that, thanks for letting us know, I'll end up doing that myself too!

Jflorence, congratulations on the purchase. I have a 92SC400, I absolutely love it. I can take it to a car wash with Jag's, newer BMW's, etc, but there is something about our cars that make people look. It's a beautiful car, very elegant and unique. When I see other SC400/SC300's on the road, they almost always beep to me and vice-versa.

They're a beauty. Glad you're replacing the rims/tires, this is a classy car and those rims don't fit it :-)

33K miles, man you found yourself an amazing gem!
Old 11-23-15, 09:43 AM
minus500
Driver School Candidate

33k miles...WOW. What did you pay?
Old 11-23-15, 10:30 PM
jflorence
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a bunch KahnBB6. I'll look into that registry. All of the rubber looks surprisingly great, but I do need to look over the suspension. The seats are a little stiff (not supple) compared to the rest of the car which bums me out a little...and no heated seats so I'm tempted to get the fronts re-done. Not sure if I should sink that much $ just to get more supple seats, but I think these might be a little far gone to be saved with oils or "food'.

Would you think that the timing belt might need to be considered just from years, huh?

I paid $8k. I have been looking for about 8 months and finally found a low miles SC that was a color I like. I tried to negotiate but he wasn't budging and I wasn't walking away.
Old 11-24-15, 07:27 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KahnBB6

Looks great!
Great idea!
Strangely enough, jobs you enter yourself cannot be seen by other users, only under your password. The only service that "sticks" and can be seen by others is service entered by dealers.

It's a great perk though for sure. I enter every car I consider into that database.
Old 11-24-15, 07:34 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jflorence
Thanks a bunch KahnBB6. I'll look into that registry. All of the rubber looks surprisingly great, but I do need to look over the suspension. The seats are a little stiff (not supple) compared to the rest of the car which bums me out a little...and no heated seats so I'm tempted to get the fronts re-done. Not sure if I should sink that much $ just to get more supple seats, but I think these might be a little far gone to be saved with oils or "food'.

Would you think that the timing belt might need to be considered just from years, huh?

I paid $8k. I have been looking for about 8 months and finally found a low miles SC that was a color I like. I tried to negotiate but he wasn't budging and I wasn't walking away.
Get Lexol (or better if it exists) leather conditioner and use it twice a week for a while and sit in them. They will soften up. They are just dry. Heated seats aren't "all that" (at least to me). I never use mine and its much colder here.

Don't waste your money at first. Important things will come up and you will need it. Get it running PERFECT before investing in the extras. That car can last another 20 years if you want it to.

SG
Old 11-24-15, 08:45 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Clean ride man!! Congrats!!
Old 11-24-15, 02:21 PM
sc4hunnit
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks nice bro. don't destroy it!
Old 11-24-15, 02:30 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Get Lexol (or better if it exists) leather conditioner and use it twice a week for a while and sit in them. They will soften up. They are just dry. Heated seats aren't "all that" (at least to me). I never use mine and its much colder here.

Don't waste your money at first. Important things will come up and you will need it. Get it running PERFECT before investing in the extras. That car can last another 20 years if you want it to.

SG
Lol speak for yourself! Heated seats kick ***, I use them on a daily basis. +1 on the Lexol, clean it, then put the conditioner down and if your seats are as hard as you say they are don't even wipe the stuff away, just let it soak on your seats. Especially let it soak into the seams/stitching as these are the first areas that will crack and pull apart on you. Follow it up with a treatment a few days later, and it will magically make your leather softer.
Old 11-24-15, 06:13 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

33k-wow! Between you and SG, I think you guys have the lowest mileage to date? Super clean pick up. So wheels are ordered? Any hints to what's to come, or will we need to wait?

steve
Old 11-24-15, 06:59 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats! 33k miles, thats insane...

Quick Reply: Just bought my first SC400...