Old 11-05-15, 05:14 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 with 2 bolts holding the Half axle in - inc video

I run an SC400 uzz30 1UZ-FE
What I'm not sure about is
Why did the bolts come out
Should I clean all the grease off, and locktite the bolts in. I just put replacement ones in without removing the grease.
Re-pack the CV joint and how do you do that without opening the rubber boot up.
What hose got cut
What is the reason for the 3 bolt "washer"
Anyone know what the bolt tension should be?
Is the half axle got a CV joint at one end or does it go by a different name.

Story:
I reckon I was so lucky with this not turning in to a mess.
I had an interesting ride home the other day. I had just come off the freeway sitting on 100KPH (60MPH) without any signs of the pending problem with my car.

I have an in car camera so fortunately I caught the failure on video, or at least the noise it made and consequently the noise it made when it seemed to sort of fix itself e.g. perhaps the CV joint (I'm guessing that's what it is called" popped itself all the way back in.

I later found I was missing 3-4 bolts and the last two where out buy 12mm (1/2") out and green grease from the joint was all over the exhaust and under body area.

I found the clicking sound was caused by a "3 bolt washer?" that had only one bolt holding it in which allowed it to swing out and hack at what I think is the return fuel breather line. Perhaps someone could clarify that for me.
I show that in the video.

Here's the link to the video.

I was very lucky to get replacement bolts as it was closing time and the next day was a public holiday.

Half axle bolts missing

Sorry about the long post.

Last edited by lateralnw; 11-07-15 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Clarify heading, point formed the beginning, reduced text.
Old 11-05-15, 12:03 PM
adc27
Rookie

Same thing happened to me, except all the bolts came out and my axle was banging on the ground and my exhaust haha.
Old 11-05-15, 08:06 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're missing two half circle brackets that go under three of the bolts. Not sure if that's why they loosened but it may have contributed.
Old 11-05-15, 08:57 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
You're missing two half circle brackets that go under three of the bolts. Not sure if that's why they loosened but it may have contributed.
In the still pic of the video, it sort of looks like it's there but pivoted up and away? Is it supposed to be open ended or did it break? The other one looks to be down below and with an enclosed end. I could be looking at the wrong thing, though.
Old 11-07-15, 05:12 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Hi thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

I did source a new "washer" I asked my engineer brother in law - he didn't seem to know why they are used but i have replaced them. He thought they had the bent up metal plate which in other situations would stop the bolt from undoing... he is a ford engineer so that might answer why he didn't know...

I added this photo for others, to clarify what we are talking about.

In case its not clear in my case it is a three bolt "washer" - don't really know what its called or why its there but I put it back just cause!
Old 11-07-15, 05:21 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
In the still pic of the video, it sort of looks like it's there but pivoted up and away? Is it supposed to be open ended or did it break? The other one looks to be down below and with an enclosed end. I could be looking at the wrong thing, though.
Thanks for the reply.

Your right No it shouldn't look like that. It is broken and the reason is it has been spinning at god knows how many rpm while cutting through what I think is the return breather line for the fuel tank and only then I reduced speed did it seem to make itself know as a problem.

In the video you can hear the "washer" (I don't don't know that it really should be called) banging on the return breather hose of the fuel tank. It eventually cut the breather line and also I am guessing breaks in to half a circle "washer"

It seems it has been posted before this issue but I didn't what to bump such an old thread.
ref: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-pics-fix.html

Last edited by lateralnw; 11-07-15 at 05:25 AM. Reason: can't spell!
Old 11-07-15, 05:28 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

for any one interested here is the dimension of the missing bolts. I can't tell you the thread unfortunately.

Old 11-07-15, 06:26 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Originally Posted by adc27
Same thing happened to me, except all the bolts came out and my axle was banging on the ground and my exhaust haha.
With all the cars you have, and the cool mods you are doing, how could you have possibly missed all those bolts falling out!

thanks for the supporting comment.

All the best with your many builds.
Old 11-18-15, 05:35 PM
minus500
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lateralnw
Hi thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

I did source a new "washer" I asked my engineer brother in law - he didn't seem to know why they are used but i have replaced them. He thought they had the bent up metal plate which in other situations would stop the bolt from undoing... he is a ford engineer so that might answer why he didn't know...

I added this photo for others, to clarify what we are talking about.

In case its not clear in my case it is a three bolt "washer" - don't really know what its called or why its there but I put it back just cause!
They aid in distributing the force over the surface of the axle more evenly and give the bearing surface of the bolt a flat surface to clamp against.
Old 01-07-16, 07:31 PM
lateralnw
Rookie

Originally Posted by minus500
They aid in distributing the force over the surface of the axle more evenly and give the bearing surface of the bolt a flat surface to clamp against.
thanks for the reply, thought it might be something like that.

I have since checked the bolts and they all seem to be in tight.