SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

So I've heard Supra TT radiator works with SC400, but what about the fan shroud?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 03:19 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So I've heard Supra TT radiator works with SC400, but what about the fan shroud?

Hey guys I'm looking at replacing the OEM radiator in my SC400 and I've been reading numerous threads about the 93-98 Supra TT radiator working just fine with slight modification to the mounting brackets and bushing. But what about the fan shroud?

Currently, there is nothing wrong with the fan shroud in my SC, but I figure if I replace the radiator, I may as well replace the fan shroud as well to a Mishimoto (same radiator I'm going with).

I'm curious if there is any special modifications that are needed to make this thing mount to the SC400 so I can just buy the shroud and radiator.

Here's a complete kit I've come across.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MISHIMOTO-93...xWHD-S&vxp=mtr
Old 10-30-15, 04:33 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Others who have done it will chime in to be sure but it looks to me like if you install this kit, including radiator and fan, I don't think you need the shroud. It would be the wrong shape anyway. It is made for the protruding larger single fan. These are dual and compact.
Old 10-30-15, 05:02 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Others who have done it will chime in to be sure but it looks to me like if you install this kit, including radiator and fan, I don't think you need the shroud. It would be the wrong shape anyway. It is made for the protruding larger single fan. These are dual and compact.
You're right, there is no need for the shroud itself since these are already covered. But now I'm questioning if these fans would have enough room to mount up in the SC400. I'm thinking so with modification to the brackets that hold everything together after removing the OEM shroud/radiator.
Old 10-30-15, 05:11 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Can't offer how but I have seen it done many times. Someone will help.... sit tight.
Old 10-30-15, 05:17 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

A Supra 93-98 radiator is a great upgrade. I installed a Koyo TT version in my car along with the 93-96 style TT fan shroud (there are two revisions of the TT shrouds for two revisions of the aux electric A/C fans MKIV TT's have. Early included one. 97-98 TT's had two. The main fan area was always the same). Sorry Deegee. Blanking on my part. This only applies if you have an SC300.

It requires some raising of the mounts to make it fit but the radiator is otherwise perfect.

If you have an automatic transmission you will need to install an auxiliary trans cooler since all aftermarket TT radiators are intended for M/T and won't have this provision.

I detailed my install here if it helps: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...0-5-speed.html

Yes, you must re-use your original SC400 fan shroud and hydraulic fan. The TT fan shroud option only applies to SC300's or any SC's with JZ engine swaps.

Also, your battery tray may or may not need slight notching with a Dremel cutting wheel to fit either shroud against a thicker radiator than your OEM.

There are also Denso OEM replacement SC400 radiators available too just in case you want more alternatives.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-31-15 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Important information correction. Thank you Gerry.
Old 10-30-15, 05:38 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
A Supra 93-98 radiator is a great upgrade. I installed a Koyo TT version in my car along with the 93-96 style TT fan shroud (there are two revisions of the TT shrouds for two revisions of the aux electric A/C fans MKIV TT's have. Early included one. 97-98 TT's had two. The main fan area was always the same).

It requires some raising of the mounts to make it fit but the radiator is otherwise perfect.

If you have an automatic transmission you will need to install an auxiliary trans cooler since all aftermarket TT radiators are intended for M/T and won't have this provision.

I detailed my install here if it helps: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...0-5-speed.html

Yes, you can use your original fan shroud but you'll have to modify it a bit to fit since the mount holes won't line up in all of the same places. Many have done without a TT fan shroud and reused their originals.

Also, your battery tray may or may not need slight notching with a Dremel cutting wheel to fit either shroud against a thicker radiator than your OEM.

There are also Denso OEM replacement SC radiators available too just in case you want more alternatives.

Thanks for linking this Khan, I'll take a look at your thread. I was aware of the slight modifications to the Supra TT radiator but the fan shroud / Mishimoto fan setup I wasn't sure of. I was looking primarily at the Mishimoto because a lot of my drift buddies use these in their Nissans. They're kind of pricey but I think it may be worth it. Have you had any experience drifting your SC with the Koyo?

My SC400 is using a manual tranny (w58)

Will I need to also replace the Engine coolant temp sensor as well?

Last edited by Deegee; 10-30-15 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-31-15, 12:05 AM
KahnBB6

Glad to help.

I don't have direct experience with the Mishimoto radiators but they're also very well known and reliable. I notice many SC/MKIV owners using them as much as the Koyos (or Denso OEM TT).

To be honest I haven't drifted my car at any track events yet. Haven't had the time to but it's definitely something I'd like to do a bit of down the road to learn. In regards to the Koyo radiator's ability to handle it, I think it would probably be fine. Its efficiency is already overkill for my NA engine. Not a bad thing at all. I use the standard Toyota pink 50/50 pre-mixed coolant and that should be fine for pretty much all SC's.

Sometimes I drive the car hard (but it's not left wet to dry) and occasionally I push the tail into a power slide or two and the cooling system is always nominal. Never a hiccup.

Do you mean the digital engine coolant temp sensor located on the bottom of your OEM SC400 radiator? I think you should be able to transfer that onto the aftermarket TT radiator but I am not certain of the threading for the SC400 type sensor. Certainly you either need to buy a generic plug for that sensor port on the radiator (never use brass!) or you need to put the TT coolant sensor or your original coolant sensor there. I cannot confirm if the SC400 sensor actually uses the same thread and pitch as the TT sensor but I thought I read somewhere that someone had tried it successfully. Sorry I can't give you a definite there.

I put notes in my thread on the use of the dummy plug or the factory TT sensor.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-31-15 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-31-15, 03:37 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

I guess , my friend Craig is a bit confused here since he has an SC300.

You have to be careful about the fan shroud. You cannot use the stock Supra MKIV with aux fans or SC300 fan shrouds with your stock SC400 clutch fan . Their orientation are different. I believe SG mentioned it on his post. The SC400 clutch fan is right at the center of the radiator with a bigger fan where as the MKIV / SC300 clutch fan is somewhere on the left (if you are facing engine) of the radiator .

Now, if you are taking out the SC400 clutch fan and use electric fans , take note , there are fluid lines on that clutch fan you need to shut on the engine .

My suggestion, upgrade your radiator if you wanted to and leave the clutch fan and shroud if there is nothing wrong with them. If you absolutely need to replace the fan , make sure that the fans have greater CFM or flow more air than the stock fan otherwise depending on what part of the country you are in and how you use your car , overheating will be an issue.

A lot of MKIV owners in the South who converted to electric fans went back to the stock clutch fan due to overheating . One of the electric fans that where proven effective with MKIV owners are IS300 fans. I can attest to it because I have them too.... either stock fans or IS300 fans for me.
Old 10-31-15, 03:56 AM
KahnBB6

^^^ Gerry, thank you for catching this. Indeed, what I've said above regarding TT fan shrouds (before correcting mistake information for the sake of the thread) only directly applies from JZ to JZ cars. I completely blanked on the fan orientation between the SC300 and SC400. I'm tempted to revise or caveat my posts above. Edit: Information has been corrected in posts.

Forget what I said entirely about the TT fan shroud. My error. Apologies.

I also second the suggestion to just keep your original shroud and hydraulic fan and preserve your factory air flow (or using the IS300 dual electric fan assembly).

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-31-15 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Minor update to reflect information corrections above.
Old 10-31-15, 06:23 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I went with the Mishimoto for my SC300 NA/T. I don't even have a shroud yet but I thrashed the hell out of my car on 100 degree days this summer and the needle did not move a centimeter from where it is today on a 45 degree day. Rock solid overkill, just how I like it. The stock fan and Mishimoto work marvelously under the WORST conditions for me.
Old 10-31-15, 06:34 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Really good info here, I threw in a Supra Koyo a few years back and besides the required trans cooler it was literally drop in and fill up. But, I was dumb and never put the shroud back on before selling it so I couldn't say for sure, I always wondered why the AC was weak lol...
Old 10-31-15, 02:40 PM
KahnBB6

If a mechanical fan (clutch or hydraulic) is retained then an appropriate fan shroud should still be used. It's a big part of the system that allows so much CFM to flow.

Kris, I'm sure the lack of the shroud had a lot to do with your A/C being weak. And again, this doesn't apply to SC400's but keeping the A/C running cool is also the reason the Supra TT fan shrouds have that extra spot for an electric fan that cycles on and off (or fans with 97-98's).