SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Small Fire Under the Dash, maybe salvage

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-15, 02:34 PM
3gInOc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Fire Under the Dash, maybe salvage

So on Tuesday last week I had a small fire under the dash. Not sure what started it. But late yesterday afternoon I pull the panel under the steering wheel and saw that damage. It doesn't look that bad. But really how do you define that bad? To me, it looks as if its replaceable/repairable. But I did notice some of the main harness has melted. There is some exposed wire on the main harness but none of them appear to be touching each other. Chances are insurance is going to salvage title the car. Hell, it’s a 1997 SC400 with over 250,000 miles on it. Not even sure its worth the money to fix. The car was running great. I drove it everyday to work and back, 80 miles round trip. Well I can say I am really bummed. I loved that car. State Farm is coming out to the house today to look at the car. I’ll know before the day is over if its going to be salvaged. I really hope not. So I guess the question I have for you guys is what happens when they salvage a car? My SC does not have a lot of MODS, but it does have a few. Can I pull the parts? Will they take it today? Don't think I'll get much for it if any thing. But I at least would want to part it out..
Old 08-20-15, 02:56 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3gInOc
So on Tuesday last week I had a small fire under the dash. Not sure what started it. But late yesterday afternoon I pull the panel under the steering wheel and saw that damage. It doesn't look that bad. But really how do you define that bad? To me, it looks as if its replaceable/repairable. But I did notice some of the main harness has melted. There is some exposed wire on the main harness but none of them appear to be touching each other. Chances are insurance is going to salvage title the car. Hell, it’s a 1997 SC400 with over 250,000 miles on it. Not even sure its worth the money to fix. The car was running great. I drove it everyday to work and back, 80 miles round trip. Well I can say I am really bummed. I loved that car. State Farm is coming out to the house today to look at the car. I’ll know before the day is over if its going to be salvaged. I really hope not. So I guess the question I have for you guys is what happens when they salvage a car? My SC does not have a lot of MODS, but it does have a few. Can I pull the parts? Will they take it today? Don't think I'll get much for it if any thing. But I at least would want to part it out..

Dude,

Is the damage possibly related to aftermarket stereo speaker wires and/or aftermarket amplifier power supply wires? If you can see the number of physical wires damaged, the damaged sections can be repaired. If there's several connectors that are melted and several dozen wires affected, I wouldn't bother trying to repair it. Either install a new wiring harness or time to move on.
Old 08-21-15, 04:23 PM
3gInOc
Driver School Candidate

So the estimator went out to look at the car. She called me after an hour of searching for the damage. She couldn't find the area, its that small. Well after I walked her through where the damage was, she pretty much told I'm screwed. Off the record she told me that any time insurance companies hear the words fire or electrical they lean on the side of salvaging the car. Since mine was a fire due to electrical, well you can guess where this is going. She said the fire melted about half the fuse block plastic and about 2” of the harness. Based on her evaluation the estimated cost to repair the car is 3,500. High KBB pricing is 2,200. I guess at this point the only question is who needs parts, because this car is heading to the scrap yard.
Old 08-21-15, 08:36 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Dang sorry to hear that. If you decide to keep it and replace the harness, you'll have like 2k remaining on a rebuilt title.. The harness would be super cheap at a pick N pull if you installed it yourself.