SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is the SC reaching classic car status?

Old 08-16-15, 09:37 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But we have no control over that, I wouldn't let thoughts of whether this car becomes a classic or not influence your decisions with this car. Enjoy it, do the things you want to do, if you feel like driving it, take it out for a spin. You never know what may befall you tomorrow, own the car you want to own, and drive the car you want to drive. In my mind it's already a classic, and that's all that really matters.
Old 08-17-15, 06:42 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Japanese Nostalgic Car dot com states that a car is considered a classic at 25 years. Most DMV's clarify that a car is a classic at 25 years old as well. I think that's a reasonable answer.
Old 08-17-15, 09:36 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the scene goes, I don't know how anyone (us included) will feel American SC300/400 cars these when the Soarers are able to be imported. Supra TT motor, nav, bagged suspension, digital gauges, all-wheel steering....WTF?

I'll be trying for one though.
Old 08-17-15, 02:56 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But we have no control over that, I wouldn't let thoughts of whether this car becomes a classic or not influence your decisions with this car. Enjoy it, do the things you want to do, if you feel like driving it, take it out for a spin. You never know what may befall you tomorrow, own the car you want to own, and drive the car you want to drive. In my mind it's already a classic, and that's all that really matters.
I completely agree with you. Other than having good insurance coverage and ALL your receipts to have a good argument should an issue occur, just enjoy, restore and modify the cars now if you really want one. I really enjoy driving mine and that should be the point. Even if the market does go up I don't feel like I'll want to let it go. Too enjoyable.

Originally Posted by kbb
As far as the scene goes, I don't know how anyone (us included) will feel American SC300/400 cars these when the Soarers are able to be imported. Supra TT motor, nav, bagged suspension, digital gauges, all-wheel steering....WTF?

I'll be trying for one though.
It may or may not have an affect but do keep in mind:

-RHD vs LHD
-Some States/areas will make emissions difficult of impossible with a 1JZ. If you're in CA then forget it, since it's newer than 1976.
-Rear glass, side view mirrors and possibly front windscreens for Soarers might be harder to source.
-Not just any insurance company will want to work with covering an imported RHD car and specialty insurance companies who will may not give you the standard 10k-12k miles per year and might have special restrictions... since a Z30 Soarer or any 25 year old vehicle is a collectible oddity. At the very least, you'll want to make sure insurance will actually cover the value of what the thing is worth even if that's a modest amount.
-All those special electronic features we didn't get here are 25 years old and might not be so easy to service when they go out and the parts will not be in international inventory forever.

All I'm suggesting by stating the above is that, at least as full DD cars, I'm not so sure a genuine Soarer makes as much sense as an SC. Though "original" (stock unmodified) values for both should arguably be VERY different.
Old 08-18-15, 06:18 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Collector plates, collector insurance. Of course depends on the state. and someone on nost jap car club was saying this era including the supra wont ever be concidered a nost car. we shall see.

Collector plates, collector insurance.

Last edited by ems; 08-18-15 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-18-15, 09:01 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ems
Collector plates, collector insurance. Of course depends on the state. and someone on nost jap car club was saying this era including the supra wont ever be concidered a nost car. we shall see.

Collector plates, collector insurance.

OMG, can I please see more pics of your SC?
Old 08-18-15, 10:18 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess it's all very subjective, but thinking a 92 SC400 is worth $12K is a little insane in my book. If the thing was damn near perfect and had less than 10K miles, I could justify that price, otherwise no way.
Old 08-18-15, 10:46 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Just an old SC piled together with clublexus love.

there will be a build thread at some point.

Last edited by ems; 08-18-15 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-18-15, 11:30 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Originally Posted by ems
Just an old SC piled together with clublexus love.

there will be a build thread at some point.
O
M
G
!!!!!!!

that is an awesome looking car... I am in love!! You did a wonderful job on the build. And the bumper against the matte. WOW,
Old 08-18-15, 11:38 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I guess it's all very subjective, but thinking a 92 SC400 is worth $12K is a little insane in my book. If the thing was damn near perfect and had less than 10K miles, I could justify that price, otherwise no way.
lol. I agree and I've been looking for a month. The problem is the new sellers see those $12K listings and feel their car can sell for the same price or close to, maybe decrease it to $9K... what the sellers are not researching is how long the car listing is active for... the cars are NOT selling at those prices from what I can see in the past month.
Old 08-18-15, 11:53 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LuvKaya
O
M
G
!!!!!!!

that is an awesome looking car... I am in love!! You did a wonderful job on the build. And the bumper against the matte. WOW,
thanks,
There will be 97+ skirts going on the sides that will match the black onyx 202 on the front, once they get here from aliga. that should solidify the body i think.
Old 08-18-15, 12:11 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

What makes a classic car a classic is it's heritage, if it has a history. The SC is already a classic like I've said. Just not mainstream, since we're all in America, what the majority considers a classic is going to be of course their own. But look around you, most cars just started using the same technology the SC's, LS's, ES's debuted back in '89-'90 just about 4-5 years ago. It's well ahead of its time, which a lot of people on here have said time and time again.

And again, anybody can pay any price they want depending on how much the car truly is worth to an individual. Just because the next guy can't afford a well priced 20 year old car doesn't mean the car is truly overpriced. And to be honest, that's what drives these cars prices low when buyers think like that because they don't really value the history or the performance of the car. It's very disappointing when I see new guys here knock on the "cons" of this car knowing it's 20 some years old and probably was driven to the ground by the last 3-5 owners.
Old 08-18-15, 12:17 PM
TexRud
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Classic?

[Its only a Classic if you're driving it ! . . . . LoL . . !

Like most of my friends say can't believe you're still driving that 95 Sc.
Old 08-19-15, 11:15 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvKaya
lol. I agree and I've been looking for a month. The problem is the new sellers see those $12K listings and feel their car can sell for the same price or close to, maybe decrease it to $9K... what the sellers are not researching is how long the car listing is active for... the cars are NOT selling at those prices from what I can see in the past month.
Exactly my point. Here is another one that came up recently. I just think they're in fantasy land, especially b/c the lower mileage ones probably haven't had a lot of the standard SC issues addressed (control arms/bushings, A/C issues, PS pump, ETC). Sometimes a well maintained higher mileage car can be better than a little driven low mileage car.

Old 08-19-15, 11:37 AM
ems
Lead Lap

I paid 700 with most of the issues already fixed. It gave me more money to work out styling and such. some might argue originality, but lets get real here, these are not early Ferrari's where originality holds a high value. Were at least 20-30yrs away from that even being a possibility. So I say find a solid non rusty car and go to town. 13,000 thats just crazy!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the SC reaching classic car status?