Just bought an SC400

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-15, 07:08 AM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just bought an SC400

Hello,

Yesterday I purchased a 1995 SC400 for my daughter. Toyota/Lexus won me over after I purchased a 1999 ES300 for my son. I learned a lot about the brand after reviving the ES300 and actually grew to respect/love/enjoy these cars. The ES300 community is EXTREMELY helpful and now the car is running smooth as silk.

The SC400 needs a starter. I understand that it's necessary to pull the intake manifold to access the starter. Anyone have a quick link to removal instructions for the manifold and/or starter? I'm a really good DIY'er. I went to auto school and worked at a dealership for a couple years (some 20 years ago). Anything else I should look for while the manifold is off? I'm going to change the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals while I'm in there (valve covers appear to be leaking).

This looks like a great community. Looking forward to sharing my experience with my latest addition.
Old 08-09-15, 08:11 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Right HERE Buddy!

I'm right behind you. Mine is making strange noises...

Please share your experience HERE on the Club Lexus Performance and Maintenance forum and on the Lextreme forum if it helps you.

Just live inside THIS search for a few weeks.

Good luck!

Last edited by Studiogeek; 08-09-15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 09:05 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EPayne42
Hello,

Yesterday I purchased a 1995 SC400 for my daughter. Toyota/Lexus won me over after I purchased a 1999 ES300 for my son. I learned a lot about the brand after reviving the ES300 and actually grew to respect/love/enjoy these cars. The ES300 community is EXTREMELY helpful and now the car is running smooth as silk.

The SC400 needs a starter. I understand that it's necessary to pull the intake manifold to access the starter. Anyone have a quick link to removal instructions for the manifold and/or starter? I'm a really good DIY'er. I went to auto school and worked at a dealership for a couple years (some 20 years ago). Anything else I should look for while the manifold is off? I'm going to change the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals while I'm in there (valve covers appear to be leaking).

This looks like a great community. Looking forward to sharing my experience with my latest addition.

Those ES are nice, I started looking at those but my first love is really the SC. Plus I don't need a 4 door sedan.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your SC and what was the mileage, oh and what did you use to find the car (craigslist, ebay?). I am still looking and it has been challenging to say the least.
Old 08-09-15, 09:06 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Right HERE Buddy!

Please share your experience HERE on the Club Lexus Performance and Maintenance forum and on the Lextreme forum if it helps you.

Just live inside THIS search for a few weeks.

Good luck!
oh no! I hope you figure out what's wrong, keep us posted...
Old 08-09-15, 12:05 PM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LuvKaya
Those ES are nice, I started looking at those but my first love is really the SC. Plus I don't need a 4 door sedan.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your SC and what was the mileage, oh and what did you use to find the car (craigslist, ebay?). I am still looking and it has been challenging to say the least.
Hello! My daughter found the car on Craigslist. We paid $900. It has 195K on it. The seller was asking $1000 for it because of the starter issue and the A/C is not working. The body is clean. It's Diamond Pearl White with black leather interior. I'm combing the local salvage yards for odd and ends (broken interior door handle, cracked tail light and so on). I plan on starting a build thread.
Old 08-09-15, 12:15 PM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by studiogeek
right here buddy!

Please share your experience here on the club lexus performance and maintenance forum and on the lextreme forum if it helps you.

Just live inside this search for a few weeks.

Good luck!
thank you!!! Very helpful!!!
Old 08-13-15, 04:24 AM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You FOUND a DWP with BLACK interior and ONLY paid $900????

NICE STEAL!!!!

Only thing I can say is that the starter job on our 400's is a royal pita. I did it on my first SC and have yet to do it on this one because I can't find a mechanic brave enough (or cheap enough).
Old 08-13-15, 07:18 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Find a good mechanic near you on this forum. I'd prefer a mechanic with an Sc to do that job if possible.
Try the regional forums. If you shop around, some deals are out there. I have seen $1500 to $350 prices for the labor.
My $350 guy will get my money but I am printing out the Lextreme directions just in case and hanging around to watch, learn and help
Old 08-13-15, 11:45 AM
xkazman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and good luck!!
Old 03-22-16, 08:07 PM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

I completed the starter project some time ago. Works perfect. I had to swap the first replacement starter (purchased at Autozone). Something was wrong with the case and it didn't fit inside the hole to the flywheel. The second one worked out fine.

I also replaced the LCD screen on the climate control. It wasn't as tough as I expected. I purchased the screen from Best Pixel Repair. www.bestpixelrepair.com
Old 03-23-16, 12:55 PM
LEXLUIS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello! My daughter found the car on Craigslist. We paid $900. It has 195K on it. The seller was asking $1000 for it because of the starter issue and the A/C is not working. The body is clean. It's Diamond Pearl White with black leather interior. I'm combing the local salvage yards for odd and ends (broken interior door handle, cracked tail light and so on). I plan on starting a build thread.
NICE FIND
I just bought mine a month ago for 800 it was a mess, fixed the doors, power window, rough idle power steering and I am process of slowly restoring to livable conditions.
Tons of link on how to in this forum, check my build
enjoy
Old 03-23-16, 01:15 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I completed the starter project some time ago. Works perfect. I had to swap the first replacement starter (purchased at Autozone). Something was wrong with the case and it didn't fit inside the hole to the flywheel. The second one worked out fine.

I also replaced the LCD screen on the climate control. It wasn't as tough as I expected. I purchased the screen from Best Pixel Repair. www.bestpixelrepair.com
Nice find!

Where are you in TX? Also been searching for a experienced SC mechanic.
Old 03-28-16, 10:55 AM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DrAtomica
Nice find!

Where are you in TX? Also been searching for a experienced SC mechanic.
I'm in NE Houston area (Humble/Atascocita). I'm just turning wrenching on my cars for now...lol. I'll be happy to share advice in this forum tho.
Old 03-28-16, 11:07 AM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LEXLUIS
NICE FIND
I just bought mine a month ago for 800 it was a mess, fixed the doors, power window, rough idle power steering and I am process of slowly restoring to livable conditions.
Tons of link on how to in this forum, check my build
enjoy
I checked out your build thread, VERY COOL. I need to rebuild my driver side door panel. I'll try using your supply list. It's pretty impossible to find used door panels of the black leather variety.

Did you rebuild your instrument cluster or just replace the bulbs? Mine has lazy motors and weak bulbs. I was going to send it out for a rebuild.