SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Replacing my SC as a daily, What do you Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 11:58 AM
jennie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS250. Good on gas, has heated & ventilated seats, car is very small, and turn radius still amazes me every time I drive it. Boring as hell to drive. Gearing is definitely made for fuel efficiency.
Old 08-12-15, 02:41 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jennie
IS250. Good on gas, has heated & ventilated seats, car is very small, and turn radius still amazes me every time I drive it. Boring as hell to drive. Gearing is definitely made for fuel efficiency.
I had the same year IS250 as you in 2007. I sold it because I didn't want to deal with the carbon build up problems though. The drive seat leather is getting blemished a bit by 20k miles though, what is up with that? I am really gentle and take care of my seats, it's just too soft and thin.
The back looks to be too small for car seats (at least rear facing anyway)
Old 08-12-15, 02:43 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Family oriented and great on gas mileage doesn't quite go together. LOL I replaced my used to be daily driver SC400 with a GX470. But I still have my original 5 speed SC300 that's a project. AliSC3 even bought a second GX cause it's pretty much like an SC version of an SUV if compared to comfortability and power.
Its true I seriously love the gx470. the gx470 surprisingly gets much better gas mileage than my na-t sc300 (I think I average 9-10mpg in the SC) due to having the 5 speed automatic and hardly needing any throttle to take off and even overtake tiny little cars (sedans). it only gets 2-3mpg's worse than the rx300 we had in the city which was a shocker, and we thought that was pretty efficient (And slow) of a vehicle. its like a 4th gen v8 limited 4runner (what I was going to buy originally) but with lexus luxuries (apparently I like wood trim and shiny stuff more than I thought )

My daily driver (Yes I put a big can on it I love BIG CANS!!!)

in the mountains fully loaded but due to the air suspension you can never tell it always sits the same height.

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
99 Tacoma Xcab V6 spd 4x4 is the the DD...

Nice truck, I would totally rock that. only other one I would consider is a quad cab tundra. seriously bulletproof vehicles.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-13-15 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 09:31 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Its true I seriously love the gx470. the gx470 surprisingly gets much better gas mileage than my na-t sc300 (I think I average 9-10mpg in the SC) due to having the 5 speed automatic and hardly needing any throttle to take off and even overtake tiny little cars (sedans). it only gets 2-3mpg's worse than the rx300 we had in the city which was a shocker, and we thought that was pretty efficient (And slow) of a vehicle. its like a 4th gen v8 limited 4runner (what I was going to buy originally) but with lexus luxuries (apparently I like wood trim and shiny stuff more than I thought )

My daily driver (Yes I put a big can on it I love BIG CANS!!!)

in the mountains fully loaded but due to the air suspension you can never tell it always sits the same height.
:
Does the GX470 have any issues with the air suspension? I want to buy my step-dad's GX whenever he's ready to get rid of it. The air suspension in the LS430 is a nightmare and rarely lasts 100,000 miles before it has problems. I'm hoping the GX isn't the same.
Old 08-13-15, 09:49 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Hi Kira, the GX does have a few weaknesses although they are more annoyances than anything major.
really the air suspension is pretty good stock, but like most rubber things that hold up your car for a long time they need to be replaced periodically and some people do not like that.

one of them is the rear air suspension, the GX only has air on the rear axle, and eventually the airbags will leak and should be replaced, when this happens the rear end will sit on the bump stops. there is another issue with the sensors for the ride height going crazy and needing replacement, but from my research it seems to be more that the connector gets really dirty rather than the sensor failing so I think alot of people replace these unnecessarily, but probably some do go bad also.

that being said both of my GX's the air suspension is fully working like factory, and on mine that is lifted 2.5" in the front I lifted the rear air ride up 1.5" from stock and its still working fine. the records show I had a rear airbag replaced like 20k ago, so they do need to be replaced from time to time.

the best part about the GX though is that its basically got the same suspension "setup" as a 4runner and fj cruiser front and rear. It has the same Independent suspension up front (only difference is shock rate and spring rate/height) and a rear axle (FJ and 4runner have springs with different heights/rates, GX has the air ride exactly like a limited 4runner with the optional rear air ride package has which is rare but they are out there).

So you can actually swap out the air bags for 4runner or FJ or aftermartker (OME etc..) springs, and alot of people do that to cut down on the chances of airbags or sensors failing or just replacement costs are better cause the springs last almost forever vs bags that last maybe 100-150k. there are several kits even like Metal tech 4x4 has a conversion kit with the parts you need, you can also get them individually from toyota except for the bottom mount part. the only difference between the 4runner and gx470 on the rear suspension mount wise is the bottom mount on the axle is a little different for the airbags does not have a indent to keep the spring from turning (you can still stick a spring on it though), but the top mount on the chassis is the same.

I am still rocking the rear air ride until I get a leaky bag, but that might be a while. then I will throw on some regular springs probably in the 2-3" lift variety and adjust the front to match with possibly coilovers.

The best part really is that any 4runner and fj cruise suspension parts literally bolt up to a GX470, so its like you can make it a comfortable cruiser, great family hauler, or serious off road machine if you wanted, its really all in the suspension and wheel and tire choices. mine still rides pretty soft and thats one of the reasons I haven't gone fully aftermarket I like the soft ride thats there stock and my air ride still works is also a nice bonus.

I actually don't see this as much of a negative because most any 4runner needs the rear springs addressed at some point if you haul around gear due to sag, and if you are going to do any kind of lift then its just a non issue because its the first thing to get replaced and its actually a job you could DIY if you have used a coil spring compressor before.
In fact its almost a positive because when it goes bad people that do not know much about them sell them for great deals after the dealer tells them how much it costs to replace. same with the transfer case actuator leak, the dealer will reccomend to change a 4k transfer case with another 2k in labor versus the 30 minute DIY o-ring replacement that costs under $50.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-13-15 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-15-15, 12:14 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

hey good info, you GX470 experts can you tell me
is it worth getting a 2005 instead of 2004, I understand they have a bit more HP and better Nav.
Or should I get a base radio deck.

Do they all have the 3rd row? I heard the max capacity is 8, but I cannot confirm when I googled this! is there a 3rd seatbelt in the 3rd row so it can carry 8 if needed?

Do I need to fret about 110k vs 150k vs more? I know you guys say they are bullet proof and maybe extra 30k miles is nothing. But you got to replace wheel bearings, seal. Since we are shopping for family hauler which means I don't have too much time to deal with stuff like that.

Is there anything I should be aware of when shopping? I would say half of them are at used car dealer lot.

Also what is your gearing like cruising on the freeway 70mph? What RPM? Quiet?
Old 08-15-15, 02:13 AM
Boxxx
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how the OP hasn't returned and this is now a GX review and comments section.
Old 08-15-15, 05:43 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Hi Kira, the GX does have a few weaknesses although they are more annoyances than anything major.
really the air suspension is pretty good stock, but like most rubber things that hold up your car for a long time they need to be replaced periodically and some people do not like that.

one of them is the rear air suspension, the GX only has air on the rear axle, and eventually the airbags will leak and should be replaced, when this happens the rear end will sit on the bump stops. there is another issue with the sensors for the ride height going crazy and needing replacement, but from my research it seems to be more that the connector gets really dirty rather than the sensor failing so I think alot of people replace these unnecessarily, but probably some do go bad also.

that being said both of my GX's the air suspension is fully working like factory, and on mine that is lifted 2.5" in the front I lifted the rear air ride up 1.5" from stock and its still working fine. the records show I had a rear airbag replaced like 20k ago, so they do need to be replaced from time to time.

the best part about the GX though is that its basically got the same suspension "setup" as a 4runner and fj cruiser front and rear. It has the same Independent suspension up front (only difference is shock rate and spring rate/height) and a rear axle (FJ and 4runner have springs with different heights/rates, GX has the air ride exactly like a limited 4runner with the optional rear air ride package has which is rare but they are out there).

So you can actually swap out the air bags for 4runner or FJ or aftermartker (OME etc..) springs, and alot of people do that to cut down on the chances of airbags or sensors failing or just replacement costs are better cause the springs last almost forever vs bags that last maybe 100-150k. there are several kits even like Metal tech 4x4 has a conversion kit with the parts you need, you can also get them individually from toyota except for the bottom mount part. the only difference between the 4runner and gx470 on the rear suspension mount wise is the bottom mount on the axle is a little different for the airbags does not have a indent to keep the spring from turning (you can still stick a spring on it though), but the top mount on the chassis is the same.

I am still rocking the rear air ride until I get a leaky bag, but that might be a while. then I will throw on some regular springs probably in the 2-3" lift variety and adjust the front to match with possibly coilovers.

The best part really is that any 4runner and fj cruise suspension parts literally bolt up to a GX470, so its like you can make it a comfortable cruiser, great family hauler, or serious off road machine if you wanted, its really all in the suspension and wheel and tire choices. mine still rides pretty soft and thats one of the reasons I haven't gone fully aftermarket I like the soft ride thats there stock and my air ride still works is also a nice bonus.

I actually don't see this as much of a negative because most any 4runner needs the rear springs addressed at some point if you haul around gear due to sag, and if you are going to do any kind of lift then its just a non issue because its the first thing to get replaced and its actually a job you could DIY if you have used a coil spring compressor before.
In fact its almost a positive because when it goes bad people that do not know much about them sell them for great deals after the dealer tells them how much it costs to replace. same with the transfer case actuator leak, the dealer will reccomend to change a 4k transfer case with another 2k in labor versus the 30 minute DIY o-ring replacement that costs under $50.
Thanks for the reply Ali!

It sounds very similar to my LS430. That's great that parts from the 4Runner and FJ Cruiser can be used. Switching to springs is probably the way I would go.

It seems like it's pretty reliable. As far as I know, my step-dad just did routine maintenance on his and I'm sure it's over 100,000 miles.

Do you have any experience with the LX470? I really like those a lot but they're still pretty expensive.
Old 08-15-15, 05:45 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Originally Posted by Boxxx
I like how the OP hasn't returned and this is now a GX review and comments section.
I just noticed that. I had no idea so many people liked the GX470 so much.

Last edited by Kira X; 11-18-18 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-15-15, 06:06 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I use my 93 SC as my DD. The other 2 SC's are projects.
Old 08-15-15, 08:26 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Also would like to know, why I can get a ls430 For around $15k budget under 100k miles no problem
But $15k is not buying too much GX.. the LS was $56k new and GX is $45k new
I guess the flagship sedan doesn't hold value as well? How reliable is the LS?

I like to ask the SC owners here because most of us have similar baseline of expectations
Old 08-15-15, 08:29 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
hey good info, you GX470 experts can you tell me
is it worth getting a 2005 instead of 2004, I understand they have a bit more HP and better Nav.
Or should I get a base radio deck.

Do they all have the 3rd row? I heard the max capacity is 8, but I cannot confirm when I googled this! is there a 3rd seatbelt in the 3rd row so it can carry 8 if needed?

Do I need to fret about 110k vs 150k vs more? I know you guys say they are bullet proof and maybe extra 30k miles is nothing. But you got to replace wheel bearings, seal. Since we are shopping for family hauler which means I don't have too much time to deal with stuff like that.

Is there anything I should be aware of when shopping? I would say half of them are at used car dealer lot.

Also what is your gearing like cruising on the freeway 70mph? What RPM? Quiet?
From what I know, 2005 had the most HP that's why a lot of people get it, usually for builds. Nav was the same all through out. But the last update was the 2013, and there won't be anything after that cause I guess it's old. I hardly use it, unless my iPhone doesn't have signal where we're going. But personally I searched for the 2008+ because of the tiny details they changed with that model, LOL. I'm a form>function guy.

It has max 8 seating, all with seat belts, but the 3rd row seat is for kids. I've tried sitting there with my gut sticking out and it was no bueno, and I'm 5'4", LOL. I was thinking of a fix for that actually, I checked how the seats are mounted and I think I can put a max 3" spacer on all the mounting points and still keep the functionality of the seats, like being able to fold it up and so on.

If you really want something that'll be worry free then get something below 100k miles. I got mine with 64k miles, have had it for a year, it's up to 82k now. I replaced the radiator at 78k and the gas cap. Previous owner replaced all the brakes and rotors, flushed the brake fluid and new battery before selling it.

Gearing is great. Very very smooth shifting and very quiet too. Just the other day I was having a hard time hearing my engine cruising at 80mph at 3k RPM. Just like my old SC400, exactly what you expect from a Lexus. The cruise control have a slight overlap in the setting of the 4th and 5th gear when on cruise control at 70-80mph. It would consistently shift between 4th and 5th when going over inclines to maintain speed.

Originally Posted by Boxxx
Haha noticed that too!

Originally Posted by Kira X
I just noticed that. I had now idea so many people liked the GX470 so much.
GX's aka Toyota Prado's are really loved all over the world. This is where the super tough and rugged 4Runners are based from. The GX's are a compact version of the Land Cruiser aka Lexus LX. A lot of people like to think that the GX is just a more expensive 4Runner, but in reality, the 4Runner is a cheap version of the GX since the 4Runner is only available in the US while the GX is available worldwide. Toyota purposely built the GX's to be off-road vehicles stock, and they are very well and able.
Old 08-17-15, 01:14 AM
s13erm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2012 Prius, save money on mpg...so I can throw it at my SC 😝
Old 08-17-15, 09:35 AM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I daily drive a few cars, and leave the SC at the shop

I have a 2002 Civic Si EP3. Ok gas mileage, around 28 mpgs, but that may be because the catalytic is shot and a new one could help with emissions. (I paid $1500 for this). Edit: This car also feels like a mini-van and bigger than a FIT for whatever reason.

I also have a 2007 Mazdaspeed6. Being that it's AWD, it gets around 22 MPGs, so I obviously prefer to daily the civic due to MPG, but the MS6 has a lot more power (around 240-250 AWHP).

I have to admit, though, the MS6 has been a bit of a pain to maintain (I bought it at 170k miles). So far, it's needed new LCAs, rear motor mount, brand new tires (4 all at once due to AWD) and I need another intake because the one that came with the car is causing misfires due to the awkward location/position of the MAF on the intake.

I'd advise people to stray away from Direct Injection motors. Have to get intake valve servicing/cleaning is a pain in the rear end. If you DIY, it takes between 4-5 hours. I prefer to just pay my mechanic to do it, but it's usually $150.00 which isn't cheap but also not expensive. They really need to come up with a better intake design that will somehow clean the valves during injection or some other method of keeping them clean. If you let them get too much carbon build-up, the valves won't seal properly and can also begin to cause misfiring. And did I mention that this service/cleaning should be done every 40k miles?
Old 08-18-15, 11:19 AM
super400
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Budget wise I'm wanting to stay under 10k but I could go a little higher if I found something really nice. Im wanting to stay Toyota or other foreign company. Family has had a lot of bad experiences with GM and Ford over the years. Considering I just drove past 270,400 yesterday on my original timing belt and water pump, and have at most put 5,000 in this car in 10 years of ownership, yeah Toyota will forever have my loyalty. Lets see a Ford or GM do that! Also want something with 4 doors. Wife has said no more coupes, gotta be family oriented. If I'm restricted to one coupe at least I picked a good one with my old SC!

Quick Reply: Replacing my SC as a daily, What do you Drive?