SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Beware of lens vinyl overlays

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 06:23 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Beware of lens vinyl overlays

I purchased and installed vinyl overlays from a certain company (that I'd rather not name at this time), and I'm pretty sure that they've caused cracking in one of my headlights, foglight, and taillight. It started with one of the headlights. I noticed a strange appearance to my headlights several months ago that looked like multiple scratches. When I looked even closer, and they appeared to be cracks. Then a few weeks ago, I noticed that water was leaking in one of the headlights. I took it out and resealed the edge with silicone. I didn't remove the film as I wasn't sure what was going on at the time. Then about a week ago, I noticed something similar on one of my 97 tails. And to my surprise, there is actually a big, big crack going right down the middle of one! I know it's already sounding coincidental, but I still wasn't sure what was going on. Then the other day, the icing on the cake...one of my 97 fogs has a big crack it in. This isn't an isolated event. I truly believe that the plastic lenses are expanding and contracting with temperature, and the vinyl is not allowing the material to flex (or something similar). My word of wisdom, if you have vinyl overlays, remove them immediately. They claim to protect them, which they probably will from rock chips, but they cause more damage then good. I thought I was the only one, but I searched around multiple forums and noticed it's happened to several make and models with the same manufactures film. I'm pretty bummed ,but learned my lesson. I'll take pics this weekend and post them in the near future.
Old 08-06-15, 06:45 PM
TokinSC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man you should say what company it is so others can steer clear from it.
Old 08-06-15, 07:45 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm... I've had mine on for more than a year now, and no issues whatsoever. The film is supposed to be breathable. And even if it wasn't it doesn't make sense still since the silicone hardcoat coating the headlights come with from the factory isn't a breathable material neither. Cracking is usually caused by heat or heat stress. It's either that or you hit something. What's the wattage of your HID ballasts you're using?
Old 08-07-15, 07:33 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the company offers two thicknesses of vinyl film. I selected the thicker material type, as I thought it would provide better protection. Keep in mind that I've been in the sign industry for 20 years, and when I say the film is thick, it's thick. The HID's are 55w, however, that doesn't answer the taillights. My car sits in a garage and is only driven one day a week. In fact, I rarely turn the lights on as my weekly drive is only to the office (9-5 job). I'm not allowed to post third party links from other forums/websites, but I recommend anyone that has vinyl overlays to google the issue.
Old 08-07-15, 07:59 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

The heat expansion/contraction explanation seems unlikely to me. I could see it being something caustic in the adhesive, however.
Old 08-07-15, 08:27 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That's what I thought. I've researched on this thoroughly before doing it. From what I've seen, the older posts you'd find with this problem used the thicker film before the company started offering the thinner one specifically for headlight use. You won't find a bad review about this film starting 2014. I think the thicker one is 40mil while the thinner one for headlight use, which I used, is only 12mil. Huge difference. And there's countless of other people stating they've had headlight film on their cars for years with no issues.

The 55watt HID ballasts also create more heat than the 35watt. This is why I always recommend using 35watt only. HID's were created back in the day because car companies wanted to create light bulbs that use less wattage to lessen current and voltage draw. Stock halogen bulbs use 55watts, that's why I say using 55watt ballasts negates the purpose of switching to HID's.