SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Question to all car enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 06:36 PM
Mastana
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question to all car enthusiasts

Hey guys this isn't SC related but it is car related. Why do all people build cars and then sell them once they are up and running? They go through so much work and labor and money but end up of selling it. I'm trying to get motivated for a build but i want to clear up somethings before i officially start. Any information would be appreciated thanks
Old 07-07-15, 07:28 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not the "it" that you want, it's the fantasy of "it." So, desire supports crazy fantasies. This is what Pascal means when he says that we are only truly happy when daydreaming about future happiness. Or why we say the hunt is sweeter than the kill. Or be careful what you wish for. Not because you'll get it, but because you're doomed not to want it once you do.
Old 07-07-15, 07:30 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

It's the difference between a hobby and a means of transportation. When it's a hobby, you want to keep busy with subsequent projects. That's why many people say that a good build is never completed. As long as you remain interested with ongoing tinkering and improvements, there's no pressing need to toss aside all that work and start anew.

For some people it's a source of income, but I imagine it's tough to make a buck building and flipping cars. For others, I think they over-build and realize the finished product isn't practical.

I waffle daily between perfecting the interior and stripping it out. Maybe I'll do both in alternating years or months and never be finished.

Edit: Biddles, I think that applies more to purchasing fantasy cars than building them.
Old 07-07-15, 07:48 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto to what t2d2 said. some ppl get bored once they finish and sell it to start a new one. i know for me, im a builder and a car collector. i like to enjoy my finished products. so when i finish a project, i buy a new project instead of getting rid of them
Old 07-07-15, 08:05 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think loads of people sell because of intermittent mechanical problems in some boosted cars. Others wreck their finances and have to sell right away. And also there are many that achieve a goal and immediately fall in love with something newer or more high end. They have a chunk of liquid asset. It's like they saved up 10K (but spent 14K doing it).
Old 07-07-15, 08:23 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Basically what t2d2 said.

For me it comes down to I just like having something new to tinker with. There are hundreds, if not thousands of cars I'd love to get my hands on, even for a brief period of time. These days though I look to buy other people's projects that need minimal work so when I do get bored and sell the financial hit is negligible.
Old 07-07-15, 09:57 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm always wary of "finished projects" for sale. Sure there are definitely people out there who just love the making and not so much the having. But often times it turns out not being what people imagined, or it doesn't quite run right. Maybe its too much power to drive comfortably. Or it's noisier then expected and less comfortable. OR maybe all of the solid mounts led to a ride too rough and jarring to be comfortable. There's nothing quite like getting out of a car and feeling like you're finally letting go of a jackhammer.

I like building projects, but I also like keeping them. And if you want to keep it, it needs to be somewhat practical. Otherwise it'll end up like so many other projects "only 500 miles on the swap" for sale to some unsuspecting fool who doesn't realize that the individual parts may be awesome, but the overall experience of driving the car is not. I'm not saying all builds end up like this that are for sale. But I am saying that a lot of swaps, FI, and builds with extremely low mileage are typically just uncomfortable, or unenjoyable due to the fear induced from the driving experience.

There are a lot of great rides out there that people have built that are enjoyable to drive. And getting something custom to be enjoyable is exceedingly difficult. It takes engineers at automotive companies countless years of tinkering and adjustment just to mildly update an existing vehicle. So it stands to reason that not all builds will manage to maintain that same level of comfortability when driving. A harmony of mods is more important than having the most power, or the most fitment, or the most of whatever. I think thats why most builds ultimately end up for sale. When it comes to cars a 7 is arguably better than a 10 in quite a lot of cases. Also sometimes people just get bored and want a change of scenery. Not every build for sale is uncomfortable... but most are.
Old 07-08-15, 08:20 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bucket list+No storage(or money)=selling car+buying another
Old 07-08-15, 10:05 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, dude hit it on the head.
For me things are never perfect and those things bug me. So when you are done there is a disappointment and the grass looks greener elsewhere.

But I've built enough cars to be cured of that and I think I'm done doing that.
Old 07-08-15, 02:47 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

It's what Buddhists (or is it specifically Tibetans?) refer to as "The impermanence of things."

No, it's mostly what t2d2 stated, however for my part I tend to get into a project car because I can't find brand new car (incl. affordably) that is EXACTLY what I am looking for with EXACTLY the specs I am looking for in EXACTLY the shape and driving feel I am looking for... and as close to bulletproof longevity as possible. But to date I haven't picked up a project car as a second vehicle just for the fun of the project and then become bored with it. I tend to get fixated on the strengths of a certain model no matter its age and prefer to fix or improve its issues as a mostly daily vehicle. I tend to keep mine for a LONG time.

In short, I'm not easy to please and I'm particular. I expect a lot of specific options and characteristics to exist on most non-econobox cars, even on many four door cars. I'd love to do a 2nd project vehicle though. Maybe my SC will become that eventually. But many, many, many car people in general exhibit this habit of spending a fortune on a car only to lose interest 85% of the way there or once they've messed with it too much.

But that, by itself, is just another expression of creativity and journey. With a huge dent to the wallet and time as the caveats, of course. Personally I feel that if you can and really love the experience.... do it!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-08-15 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-08-15, 03:05 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd have to say life priorities, then again I have a 3yr old and 5 yr old and I dont and won't want part with this sc no matter what.
Unless someone totaled it, then it's a different story
Old 07-09-15, 02:45 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell me whats better then a 2jzgte v160, nothing. if you cant enjoy having a car that its all bolt on super car parts, you should just quit now. the supra/sc are the last of the best hands down
Old 07-09-15, 05:29 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Originally Posted by mikef
Tell me whats better then a 2jzgte v160, nothing. if you cant enjoy having a car that its all bolt on super car parts, you should just quit now. the supra/sc are the last of the best hands down

Ever driven a 4spd Big Block car?
Old 07-09-15, 05:31 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Originally Posted by carsRimper
As my first LExus, starting with a SC gives me a springboard to the stuff you just described with the 2jzgte. My criteria for purchase are price and also my back and I need my back to perform when I am upright which is a LOT and I have found that good seats are actually rare. So physical comfort is of paramount importance just like mental. I paid 5k or IMO, the equivalent of peanuts in my mind versus 10s of thousands for something brand new that would not satisfy all my criteria like when I bought a brand new 2006 Accord V6. Great engine but lousy in comfort so I give slightly more weight on comfort as I found Hondas tin boxes in comparison. Now reliability is super good not just with the engine like a Honda but also with the intangible I discussed before about comfort. You guys agree with me that these SCs, either as is or as a project are THE GREATEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK YOU CAN GET?!
Not sure if it's the greatest for everyone, but I'm in the same boat as you. I love what you get for the money with these things. And I've ALWAYS loved the styling.
Old 07-09-15, 09:44 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by mikef
Originally Posted by TXMAG
Ever driven a 4spd Big Block car?
I agree with both of these statements. The 2JZGTE+V160 is a legendary drivetrain and always will be. From a different era, so are the Ford 427+4-speed, Ford 429 Hemi+4-speed, Chrysler 426 Hemi (or 440)+4-speed, Chevy 454+4-speed and probably the Viper 8.4L V10. The Buick GN 3.8L V6 turbo engine should also be included but it's closer in spirit to the 2JZGTE and is auto-only.

Different approaches from different companies with wildly varying availability and price. But Toyota has yet to best their first and still only legendary engine. I don't count the LF-A V10 because it's unobtanium and no one is going to modify it the way any of the above mentioned bulletproof engines have been for decades.

As for the bang for the buck with the SC chassis in general... that's a no brainer there, aside from cosmetic interior restoration parts being difficult to obtain sometimes.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-09-15 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Question to all car enthusiasts