SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Picking up a SC300 w/ 2JZGTE - Few Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 08:20 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Picking up a SC300 w/ 2JZGTE - Few Questions...

Hi Everybody,

I recently purchased an 5SPD (w58) 95' SC300 with a JDM (SINGLE TURBO) 2JZGTE - VVTI and I'm not sure what I need to look for when receiving my car as it's being built this week and should be done sometime near the end of next week. As far as I know, this is whats included in our deal; 550cc injectors, cx racing intercooler kit, borg warner single turbo and hks blow off valve, full Toyota seal kit. This will be using the stock ECU. Aside from this, it is completely stock in the exterior and interior including suspension and wheels.

I'm not too fluent in the 2J world, so I've been doing a bunch of research over this motor and each component and I think I may be getting ahead of myself on certain aspects of this engine and maintenance but I would like to ask the SC community what are some things I need to look for or ask my mechanic to include for this swap? We spoke about making it run as smooth as possible on the stock ECU on 15lbs of boost so the 550cc injectors were a no brainier, but what else should I have him do before the car is completely built?

Another question that I have is aftermarket parts, I'm new to forced induction modding so any wisdom on what type of exhaust, header, cat, (or anything) is appreciated. Next question I have is in regards to suspension maintenance, I've seen numerous build threads and maintenance threads that mention replacing suspension bushings, is it safe to say that the bushings go bad in these cars pretty easily? Coilovers will more than likely be my first aesthetic mod when I receive the car, what other suspension maintenance/mods would you recommend while having the stock suspension out??

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have more questions as it gets closer for the car to being completed but wanted to get a head start on what to expect and budget for maintenance before putting any cash into fun mods.
Old 07-02-15, 12:48 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much horsepower is going to be running through that W58 at 15lbs of boost? It's probably going to be too much for that transmission. People tend to have some issue with that tranny north of 400 hp.

How many miles on the chassis?
Old 07-02-15, 01:06 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eknine9
How much horsepower is going to be running through that W58 at 15lbs of boost? It's probably going to be too much for that transmission. People tend to have some issue with that tranny north of 400 hp.

How many miles on the chassis?
I'm hoping with the current mods i listed anywhere from 350-400 (max) but again, I'm not too sure. I believe there is about 120K on the body. It won't be tooned at all so I'm really not sure what power I'll be given the day I pick up the car.

The motor is said to have around 60K, and I'm uncertain about the miles on the transmission.
Old 07-02-15, 02:43 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

W58 is only good for stock boost, like 300hp anything over will start to put to much strain on the trans.
Old 07-02-15, 06:02 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikef
W58 is only good for stock boost, like 300hp anything over will start to put to much strain on the trans.
Yeah i hear mix review about power and the w58, I'm still skeptical though. How much boost are you pushing?? Are you using an R154??

Aside from this transmission, what else should I be considering when looking at exhaust/header/gauges and suspension mods/maintenance??

Last edited by Deegee; 07-02-15 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-02-15, 07:54 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Deegee
Yeah i hear mix review about power and the w58, I'm still skeptical though. How much boost are you pushing?? Are you using an R154??

Aside from this transmission, what else should I be considering when looking at exhaust/header/gauges and suspension mods/maintenance??
I'm boosted on a v160. The truth I would take the swap out and go r154 or v160 and get a aem ecu, but make sure you have a good tuner, if not you could try over the Internet tuner but that's not 100%. You should run 3" or bigger exhaust. No cats or resanators.

Last edited by mikef; 07-02-15 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-02-15, 09:29 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Where in Texas are you located? The w58 is a bit of a weak, but so long as you treat it nicely you can make it last at higher power levels. It's not ideal and you should probably swap gearboxes at some point, but you'll survive as is.
bushings are a must if you care at all about the handling. if it's gonna be tuned once you receive it i'd leave it as is minus the cat back.
Old 07-02-15, 09:47 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by maynanator
Where in Texas are you located? The w58 is a bit of a weak, but so long as you treat it nicely you can make it last at higher power levels. It's not ideal and you should probably swap gearboxes at some point, but you'll survive as is.
bushings are a must if you care at all about the handling. if it's gonna be tuned once you receive it i'd leave it as is minus the cat back.
I'm located in San Antonio, the car won't be tuned at all when I get it as it doesn't have an SAFC and running on the stock ECU. Where can I find some quality bushings and possibly a DIY? I keep hearing about members replacing theirs and the best handling possible will be a must.

I'm also curious about slit knuckles (for drifties) can anybody recommend me some?
Old 07-02-15, 10:36 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

I'm located in San Antonio, the car won't be tuned at all when I get it as it doesn't have an SAFC and running on the stock ECU. Where can I find some quality bushings and possibly a DIY? I keep hearing about members replacing theirs and the best handling possible will be a must.

I'm also curious about slit knuckles (for drifties) can anybody recommend me some?
You can always go wisefab, it's the best for drifting, poly bushings is the way to go, I think oem bushings are discontinued
Old 07-03-15, 09:01 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Do the timing belt and water pump. Have a look at the head.
Old 07-03-15, 02:13 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Do the timing belt and water pump. Have a look at the head.
Got it, now when I replace these two parts am I going to be looking for OEM Toyota Supra water pump and timing belt?
Old 07-03-15, 04:52 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Got it, now when I replace these two parts am I going to be looking for OEM Toyota Supra water pump and timing belt?
Just go to your local toyota dealer or order it online, it's all mostly supra.