SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Quiet exhaust for GTE/single turbo SC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 12:30 PM
enderx475
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet exhaust for GTE/single turbo SC?

I just got a GTE/single turbo SC. The car is currently way too loud for my preference, having an external wastegate that vents to atmosphere probably does not help either. In addition to merging the wastegate into the exhaust, what can I do to turn down the volume? What exhaust setups would you suggest for running as quietly as possible?
Old 06-08-15, 12:46 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Magnaflow dual mufflers and resonator will definitely help.
Old 06-08-15, 12:49 PM
enderx475
Driver School Candidate

It actually already has magnaflow mufflers and what appears to be a resonator!
Old 06-08-15, 01:00 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

lol well what series mufflers do you have??

Recirculate the dump tube in the downpipe it will make a lot of difference.
Old 06-08-15, 01:04 PM
enderx475
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99SC42
lol well what series mufflers do you have??

Recirculate the dump tube in the downpipe it will make a lot of difference.
I certainly will, the noise it makes when you hit boost is absolutely absurd haha.

I am unsure what series of muffler I am running, I will have to get under there and find out.

It also idles pretty high from the tune -- 1100-1200 RPM so I'm hoping I can pull that down a little lower to keep the idle noise at a reasonable level as well.
Old 06-08-15, 02:18 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Ok before you do all that make sure you don't have any vaccum leaks.. It will make the car idle higher therefore the exhaust will be louder.

Kool keep me posted.
Old 06-08-15, 04:11 PM
enderx475
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99SC42
Ok before you do all that make sure you don't have any vaccum leaks.. It will make the car idle higher therefore the exhaust will be louder.

Kool keep me posted.
That is a very good point, I will add that to the list.

Thank you kindly, I will let you know what the conclusion is.
Old 06-09-15, 10:16 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by enderx475
I certainly will, the noise it makes when you hit boost is absolutely absurd haha.
yea it definitely is absolutely crazy lol. i think the best thing to do is just recirculate the wastegate, otherwise the exhaust shouldn't be so loud, at idle and lower RPMs it's actually pretty docile.
Old 06-09-15, 11:03 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you have an open, you can actually reduce the wastegate noise by turning up the boost =)
but recirculating will be the best and quietest (Also keeps engine bay cleaner)

the advice given is good, you can even go to a stock sc300/400 catback and that would make it much quieter, will cut off flow some but it is a tradeoff, most wouldnt do it though.

another one I like to keep the flow good but the sound down is a quality center resonator.
if you just have pipes to the rear where the magnaflows are, look into a center resonator that helps a bunch and can improve the note of the exhaust at the same time.

My Zees exhaust from Japan only comes with a center resonator, its dual 3" piping (80mm actually) , but with the center resonator, its not even close to as loud as you would expect, my bros supra is like 3 times louder and his is a single but with no resonators at all.

One time I was pulled over in VA (uh oh) for not having the county sticker I knew nothing about, and the cop told me my exhaust was too "large".
Said nothing about it being loud, because it isn't unless its in boost, so I was like, yeah what about it its perfectly legal, and they tried to hilariously argue with me but were not successful.

see the center resonator (don't mind the wrong gaskets had to special order those 80mm or ~3" 2 bolt gaskets)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-09-15 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-09-15, 02:02 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check my sig

I have 3 inch magnaflow high flow cat to 3 inch magnaflow muffler

Single exit though
Old 06-10-15, 08:49 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

that sounds like it would still be very loud Kez. I have a couple magnaflow high flow cats on the midpipe (not in that pic).
Old 06-10-15, 09:33 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Gonna be hard IMO to get it to be quiet with a single turbo....
Old 06-10-15, 10:19 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My fujitsubo legalis R cat-back exhaust is super quiet, and looks awesome from the back. However I believe more whp could be achieved with a 3" cat-back but the trade off is the noise db. I live in VA too, and they don't care how loud it is if it looks loud they will mess with you. VA Law is that the exhaust must be factory. My plan is to eventually install this 4" raceready cutout on the 4" midpipe and keep the quiet sound for daily driving. I had a E cutout on my DSM back in the day and it was the only way to have the best of both worlds.

I actually enjoy the sound of the open gate ! People are so disoriented / caught off guard by it, it goes from factory quiet to all hell breaking loose.

This is when the car was still NA, stock header / cat / midpipe. I actually think it was LOUDER like this, my camera then fail slams on the ground lol. The car now is turbo, no cat, 4" downpipe / 4" midpipe reduced to the fujitsubo catback.

Last edited by HiPSI; 06-10-15 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 01:29 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah they tried to tell me the same thing it has to be factory, but the actual language says comparable to the oem exhaust, so if the original one were to be say broken or damaged it can be replaced with a comparable exhaust to a factory system. obviously comparable is a pretty broad term, the law does not state it has to be factory, so make your stand and don't let them push you around, take your ticket if you have to and talk to the judge, I bet they wont even show on that day and it will get dismissed likely. they do get the ability to waste your time though unfortunately. so of course my original one was damaged beyond repair if anyone asks and I do think my exhaust is pretty comparable, its an exhaust designed for my car and its not very loud. if yours is super loud you may have less of a case. they like to be pushy because the law is vague and counting on you likely have something else wrong like no cat's or something like that. I have 2 cat's installed in my midpipe which is very comparable to factory. sometimes they can make you change the exhaust anyways, but I didn't have to.
I still don't understand how Harleys have no muffler restrictions and are ear shattering loud everywhere, yet a full exhaust system can get scrutinized just for looking large.

Also a turbocharger is technically considered a muffler and actually does quiet down the exhaust compared to n/a, but it varies wildly depending on who you are dealing with.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-10-15 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 02:29 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Snap I can't take a video of the exhaust since shes running all weird but it is quiet at idle

Quick Reply: Quiet exhaust for GTE/single turbo SC?