SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

$3,000 USD to swap a motor!?!? In TX??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 09:38 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

lets get ashtrays thread back on track now, its a GTE swap he is interested in, so lets help him out with that, 1 2 3 go.
Old 06-17-15, 09:48 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

lol , am with you .

ashtray , gather every part you need, you already have a harness ...then get a couple of friends who know what they are doing and work on it during weekends. Serve them pizza and beer ..
Old 06-17-15, 12:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

whenever someone says friends help them with it make sure they know what they are doing, I always think of a couple horror stories of people swapping or going na-t and the car burning down cause its hard to check over everything if you do not do it yourself and usually the excitement of the first start sometimes people skip the steps that will ensure a safer first start.

so I'll give everyone a precautionary bit of advice they should learn right now about a first engine start.
the fuel rail feed line has a banjo fitting on it, and it has 2 copper crush washers, one on the top, and one on the bottom, the bolt goes through all 3 and tightens to the fuel rail. no matter who tells you they double checked it, double check yourself that the fuel feed line is properly bolted down before you ever even think about starting it up and you should be able to see both washers in place.

next precautionary step also before you think about starting the car is to find the diagnostic port and jump FP and B+ to turn the fuel pump on and pressurize the fuel rail. now get out your favorite flash light and scour the rail fittings, the feed line, the return line, the injector o-rings, the bottom injector grommets, there shouldn't be anything close to a leak or a drop coming out of anywhere. if there is then fix it and start the process over.
you can remove the jumper if you have passed this stage. also note some swap harnesses they remove the diagnostic port so its a bit tougher to pressurize the rail without the engine on.

only after you have confirmed you have no fuel leaks whatsoever should you proceed to start up the vehicle.

you wont believe how many people don't know of forget the copper crush washers that go on the fuel feed line, and they tend to drop, roll and disappear into the depths of the garage. I have had people pm'ing me asking why there rail is leaking there also and its quite a scary thought that someone can forget those, because as soon as the engine block heats up enough it will ignite any leaking gas and then you just lost your whole car. if you have a leak there that can usually burn the whole front of the car down.

other than that not many ways to mess up a swap more or less everything bolts in place on these cars.
Plan it out with an extra day or 2 for things that might pop up.
Old 06-19-15, 05:26 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
turn the fuel pump on and pressurize the fuel rail. now get out your favorite flash light and scour the rail fittings, the feed line, the return line, the injector o-rings, the bottom injector grommets, there shouldn't be anything close to a leak or a drop coming out of anywhere. if there is then fix it and start the process over.
said it right !!!

seen a car burn down because of a fuel leak ...back fire at start up .. . kaboom .
Old 06-19-15, 02:02 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ I also just learned something very important from you guys.
Old 06-23-15, 06:28 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^^ Are you getting near to do your GTE swap Kahn ?

OP, have you decided to do it yourself ?
Old 06-24-15, 02:17 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by gerrb
^^^ Are you getting near to do your GTE swap Kahn ?
Gerrb, I wish I could go faster but no, not quite yet. I have a small handful very common parts left to buy but that's easy. I have all the rare parts I need now. The focus is on the engine harness and cylinder head rebuild before I can really begin.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-24-15 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-28-15, 07:41 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pretty stoked...getting VVTI 1JZGTE with R154

So I've decided to go VVTI 1JZ route. It's less common, I like that. I'm actually putting a downpayment on her tomorrow to hold it. It's a vvti 1jz with a R154, comes with harness, ecu, pretty much everything. Then I am getting my harness done with Dr. Tweak sometime in July and then dropping it in with my friends motor hoist.

I will be purchasing it from JDMenginedepot. I spoke with Will and he seems nice enough. Tomorrow we are going to arrange everything. Wish me luck.

Also, is there anything specific that I should look for in the photos? Anything I should ask for a specific picture of? Any tests I should ask if he's ran?
Old 06-28-15, 08:08 PM
Mrdan4548
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man just DIY. I pulled my motor out in less than 4 hours and that was with taking my time and basic hand tools. Just take your time and save yourself the trouble and money.
Old 06-28-15, 08:17 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mrdan4548
Man just DIY. I pulled my motor out in less than 4 hours and that was with taking my time and basic hand tools. Just take your time and save yourself the trouble and money.
Yupp already decided to do it that way. Going to save so much money it's awesome.
Old 06-28-15, 10:31 PM
KahnBB6

That's a great choice, ashtray! I think you'll be very happy with it. And you have options to upgrade/rebuild or replace that stock turbo. The main thing I recommend with the 1JZ VVT-i is to grab one of the cam seal kits, valve cover gasket sets and general seal/gasket kits for it from Driftmotion.

A small handful of those gaskets and seals are VVT-i specific and not available in the US parts system. Though once you have the part numbers for them you can order them from an importer as well.
Old 06-29-15, 07:54 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
So I've decided to go VVTI 1JZ route. It's less common, I like that. I'm actually putting a downpayment on her tomorrow to hold it. It's a vvti 1jz with a R154, comes with harness, ecu, pretty much everything. Then I am getting my harness done with Dr. Tweak sometime in July and then dropping it in with my friends motor hoist.

I will be purchasing it from JDMenginedepot. I spoke with Will and he seems nice enough. Tomorrow we are going to arrange everything. Wish me luck.

Also, is there anything specific that I should look for in the photos? Anything I should ask for a specific picture of? Any tests I should ask if he's ran?
I would ask for a video from them of compression testing all cylinders........

post up some pictures for us....I assume the vvti is going to come with tripod r154
Old 06-29-15, 09:06 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly recommend anyone but tweaked. Seriously. Also, is this a front sump jzx100 engine? If so, you'll need to swap oil pans and fabricate something for the oil return line since it's different than Soarer return line (I did Soarer 1j into x chassis), also, avoid any drive by wire engine set.

I can't stress enough how bad tweaked sucks.

Also, there's a guy named Nick iirc on jzxworld out of NZ who has better prices than fm on the gasket set. Wanna say a friend just paid right under $500 shipped for gasket set/water pump/tensioners.

Water pump pulley has a smaller bolt pattern than 2j, so either get a supra water pump and pulley and fan clutch/ etc or find this nick I speak of. Shipping was actually faster from NZ than anything I've ever received from DM. Make sure you get the MaF from the importer. All standard stuff applies here, do he basic maintenance.

Stock clutch will work great up to 375 tq, so if it's nice, don't worry about it. Do a Trans rear seal as well.

Where are you in tx? I just did a 171 engine in a cressida, doing this current 100 engine in a 89 gx81 I imported for a customer right now, have ran this engine in my own cressida for about 3 years daily with a holset. Lots of fun.

Seriously, F tweaked. Try panicwire. Have any specific questions hit me up, I'm in Austin area
Old 06-29-15, 02:21 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
That's a great choice, ashtray! I think you'll be very happy with it. And you have options to upgrade/rebuild or replace that stock turbo. The main thing I recommend with the 1JZ VVT-i is to grab one of the cam seal kits, valve cover gasket sets and general seal/gasket kits for it from Driftmotion.

A small handful of those gaskets and seals are VVT-i specific and not available in the US parts system. Though once you have the part numbers for them you can order them from an importer as well.
Thanks for the input

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
I would ask for a video from them of compression testing all cylinders........

post up some pictures for us....I assume the vvti is going to come with tripod r154
I'm not sure yet if it's the tripod kind or not. Still waiting to get photos. I'll ask for that video.

Originally Posted by Vrank
I highly recommend anyone but tweaked. Seriously. Also, is this a front sump jzx100 engine? If so, you'll need to swap oil pans and fabricate something for the oil return line since it's different than Soarer return line (I did Soarer 1j into x chassis), also, avoid any drive by wire engine set.

I can't stress enough how bad tweaked sucks.

Also, there's a guy named Nick iirc on jzxworld out of NZ who has better prices than fm on the gasket set. Wanna say a friend just paid right under $500 shipped for gasket set/water pump/tensioners.

Water pump pulley has a smaller bolt pattern than 2j, so either get a supra water pump and pulley and fan clutch/ etc or find this nick I speak of. Shipping was actually faster from NZ than anything I've ever received from DM. Make sure you get the MaF from the importer. All standard stuff applies here, do he basic maintenance.

Stock clutch will work great up to 375 tq, so if it's nice, don't worry about it. Do a Trans rear seal as well.

Where are you in tx? I just did a 171 engine in a cressida, doing this current 100 engine in a 89 gx81 I imported for a customer right now, have ran this engine in my own cressida for about 3 years daily with a holset. Lots of fun.

Seriously, F tweaked. Try panicwire. Have any specific questions hit me up, I'm in Austin area
I might pm you for your number sometime in the near future.
Old 06-29-15, 08:26 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Got photos of exactly mine. I asked for the video and if he says anything like "we can't" or some dodgy thing, I'll use it as leverage to drop the price a bit. Hopefully he can pull through with it.

Does anyone want photos of a vvti 1jz with r154?