SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??

Old 04-18-15, 07:25 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
oh shoot...the owner of the Twin 1UZ which I always admired and envy even if I seldom said it, had spoken !!!

Ryan - kudos to you for that damn twin 1UZ... I will tip my hat all day for you determination on that excellent car ...
Thanks a ton my man! Would I do it again? Yes, I would.

If you guys want to build a 1UZ in a SC, you can certainly do it for less than I did. I had to build the whole car...So it cost a ton to do so. You don't have to pay for an expensive paint job, modify and install custom leather SC430 seats in your SC, Customize the whole interior, add alcantara to the head liner and sun visors, build a matching custom stereo, install made to order 3-piece aluminum wheels, build a custom fuel rail set up, build hand made headlights and LED tail lights, chrome and powder coat just about everything, tap the oil galley and add 3UZ oil squirters to further cool the pistons from underneath, etc, etc, etc...I am not bringing just a few of the many, many things I did to build my baby to brag...Just that you can simply build the engine for a lot less than I spent...But it will still cost you a lot,
Old 04-18-15, 11:10 PM
sunny416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all in all it really comes down to MONEY. if you can afford to spend the EXTRA then build a UZ. but for a fraction of the cost you can have a JZ with more power and more parts available.
Old 04-18-15, 11:45 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I wont pretend I know what I'm talking about but for the hp/$$ ratio on the 1UZ compared to the JZ, it's a no brainer.. I think even the OP knows this but just wanted to get an idea of the obvious reasons why most turn to the road more traveled. There is definitely more of a recent following since the V8 can be had so cheap/ Although, I really only see it mostly on stripped out, super light drift cars with intake/exhaust but any motor is gonna kick *** strapped to something light weight.

All in all the only way it beats the 2J is if you leave both motors stock and compare them as a daily driver motor.
Old 04-19-15, 04:39 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

This is the car why I always wanted a twin 1UZ

Owner has around $70k just on the 800rwhp power train. All in all , he got around $130k in it. The problem with the 1UZ is limited aftermarket performance parts availability and support so prices are ridiculuous . For those who want high hp and you don't mind spending tons of money , then go for it. But you have read what SC400TT said on his first post.. his own experience on his SC400. It cost a LOT.

One might say oh I can get parts and get it done cheaper.... exactly why someone said more hp more issues. Only reason is they are the cars that were not done right with the right parts by the right people.

People think, oh I will slap in a supercharger or turbocharger in it and call it a day and I have a fast car. You have to make sure all other parts can handle the added performance or things start to break. And the higher HP , you car have , the more maintenance you need. It is not a set it and forget it. You think , you spent $30k on a performance car and that's it ? You don't maintain it properly , it will break and will have issues. Even race / drag cars have their engine rebuilt every couple of races or passes .

True, you see a lot using the 1uz now for drifting.. cause it is cheap in stock form , it is robust , it has good torque. And if installed in a lightweight / stripped car, it can be a force to recon with for drifting without having spent a lot of money.

You just have to ask yourself, how come well known tuners / motorshops do not build high hp out of them ?
Old 04-19-15, 05:01 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

This is the car why I always wanted a twin 1UZ

Owner has around $70k just on the 800rwhp power train. All in all , he got around $130k in it. The problem with the 1UZ is limited aftermarket performance parts availability and support so prices are ridiculuous . For those who want high hp and you don't mind spending tons of money , then go for it. But you have read what SC400TT said on his first post.. his own experience on his SC400. It cost a LOT.

One might say oh I can get parts and get it done cheaper.... exactly why someone said more hp more issues. Only reason is they are the cars that were not done right with the right parts by the right people.

People think, oh I will slap in a supercharger or turbocharger in it and call it a day and I have a fast car. You have to make sure all other parts can handle the added performance or things start to break. And the higher HP , you car have , the more maintenance you need. It is not a set it and forget it. You think , you spent $30k on a performance car and that's it ? You don't maintain it properly , it will break and will have issues. Even race / drag cars have their engine rebuilt every couple of races or passes .

True, you see a lot using the 1uz now for drifting.. cause it is cheap in stock form , it is robust , it has good torque. And if installed in a lightweight / stripped car, it can be a force to recon with for drifting without having spent a lot of money.

You just have to ask yourself, how come well known tuners / motorshops do not build high hp out of them ?

just last week i specifically emailed a company called Drag International about 1.5hr south of me asking questions about the 1UZ and you know what they said... "We only work on the 2JZ platform because its a great platform" that was my answer...
Old 04-19-15, 06:47 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did love the look of Eric's Supra...Of course, that was a 2UZ Tundra engine that he used. Eric set out to build an awesome vehicle, it was a shame that money became an issue and it had to be completely redone by Sound Performance. I heard that turned out nice but I never did see the final results for power, performance, etc but i believe it dynoed 847 WHP at 26 PSI...Then I heard another issue came up and the car had to be auctioned...but I could be incorrect as I don't know the details of that...Would be nice to know as that was a beautiful, Sick rendition of that car...

The 2UZ, being an iron block and a 4.7 liter, is a great platform to start from...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 04-19-15 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-19-15, 06:57 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

That's what I always read...if indeed you have boat load of cash to spend on a UZ... go for the 2UZ / 3UZ short block, ,bigger displacement then use the more robust head of the 1UZ.

After SP redid the whole power train, the car making around 800rwhp, I believe it was in a front collision accident so I guess the owner who got it from Eric decided to let go of it... but he had $130k on it according to Larry and lost money since he was sellng it for $80k
Old 04-19-15, 09:23 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

I'm curious... Many high-HP Supras seem to be garage queens / show cars. Is that also the case for high-HP SC builds? Or are people taking their 800-1000 HP SCs to the drag strip? Numbers that big sound cool on the spec sheet for the latest hypercar, but where is it usable that 300-400 HP isn't?

Part of the reason for asking the question is, there seems to be a fork in the road between the OP's question and many of the answers. Medium-HP seems like a worthwhile goal. Great performance without pushing the vehicle into finicky maintenance zones of power output.
Old 04-19-15, 01:17 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Just wondering what made you say many high hp supras seems to be garage queens. Do you have a lot in your area that you personally don't see driven ? Or it is something you read ?

Every person has their own reason and objectives in building a car. So it will be hard and not fair to speculate on those we do not personally know. Not everyone goes to the drag strip. Not every one goes to the Mile Long . Not everyone goes to the WannaGoFast events.Some just because they want one . Some just because their buddy has one, they have to have one. Some just enjoy working on them as a past time. Like on my end, they just keep me busy rather than twiddling my thumbs and watching movies all day at home. And when I get bored, I grab the key and just hit the streets.

Many will say , oh I am only aiming for 400 - 500 rwhp on their build. Yeah right....for now. But majority of those who get to taste that boost you will soon be seeing them gunning for more if their funds allow it. That was always the case. That is why they say it is a disease. You have a feel of that boost and andrenalin, you want more until you can pay for it... never ending money pit.
Old 04-19-15, 02:39 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Just wondering what made you say many high hp supras seems to be garage queens. Do you have a lot in your area that you personally don't see driven ? Or it is something you read ?
Two things, mostly: 1) Browsing Supra Forums, the bulk of people put very few miles on their cars, 2) most of the Supras for sale on the facebook groups are extremely low mileage for the age.

Every person has their own reason and objectives in building a car. So it will be hard and not fair to speculate on those we do not personally know.
That's exactly my point, which I think you missed. The question wasn't how to build a high-HP 1UZ so much as why people don't build them up at all. Your focus is high-HP, and that's just fine. It's certainly not for everyone, though.

Some just enjoy working on them as a past time. Like on my end, they just keep me busy rather than twiddling my thumbs and watching movies all day at home. And when I get bored, I grab the key and just hit the streets.
I'm pretty sure you just defined a garage queen... Which is why I question how many people really benefit from the HP goals that are much more attainable on the 1JZ/2JZ than on the 1UZ. Nothing wrong with doing what you enjoy, but keep in mind that your goals for builds reflect an extremely small percentage of car enthusiasts.

Many will say , oh I am only aiming for 400 - 500 rwhp on their build. Yeah right....for now. But majority of those who get to taste that boost you will soon be seeing them gunning for more if their funds allow it. That was always the case. That is why they say it is a disease. You have a feel of that boost and andrenalin, you want more until you can pay for it... never ending money pit.
I actually de-boosted my other car and am enjoying it just as much N/A. I'm driving it more and pushing it harder, never having that voice in the back of my head saying to be careful with high performance parts. Of course, I was only pushing 8 psi and fairly mild HP numbers. If I were to go that route again, it would probably be higher HP, perhaps dipping my toes in the pool of disease you speak of.
Old 04-19-15, 03:25 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the truth is when your a poor person and spend 30k on your sc/supra your to worried about breaking something so you end up just going around the block then back home lol. If I had an extra 20k just to throw at my car I would go race it but it comes to a point I would rather spend the money on a house. my car is just an investment.

Last edited by mikef; 04-19-15 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-19-15, 04:06 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I think mikef said something quite real... some people will be afraid to break something which is understandable cause building a RELIABLE +800rwhp car is not cheap. They just want the car to be always ready when the need arises like shows or strolling with friends.

If by garage queen , you mean those who do not daily drive their Supras or high hp cars , I believe if I were to guess 98% . First , most of them will have a daily beater . Second these cars are thief magnets. So they are not gonna leave it parked for a long time in a place unattended.. Then third , for me, no point going to the grocery with an +800rwhp car when you are not going to use its power. Fourth , most did not build such cars really as often used cars.. they were built for personal gratification and occasional varied uses like drag strips.

Like I use mine when I know I can enjoy that power on a long deserted road. That is why I intentionally go out when I am bored and head to those places where I can enjoy that power of the car. Exactly the reason why I built a stock 2jzgte for running around the city where I only have few meters of speed burst because of traffic. But every time I go to our place in the South where I have hunreds of miles of empty roads such car will never make me happy especially having driven my +1000rwhp cars on those roads.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-20-15 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-19-15, 04:39 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Yes, that's the general definition of a garage queen. It lives a sheltered life and is worked on / pampered more than it's driven.

However, to be fair, gerrb... After my last post, I ran some errands and it occurred to me as soon as I left, you were sort of anonymously called out by the OP, so it's not like you intruded with your opinion and build goals.

BTW, pretty much everyone I've personally known who has pushed the HP limits of their platform have eventually given up and sold the car, fed up with constantly breaking and replacing things. And that's with the highest quality parts available.
Old 04-19-15, 04:58 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by t2d2
Yes, that's the general definition of a garage queen. It lives a sheltered life and is worked on / pampered more than it's driven.

However, to be fair, gerrb... After my last post, I ran some errands and it occurred to me as soon as I left, you were sort of anonymously called out by the OP, so it's not like you intruded with your opinion and build goals.

BTW, pretty much everyone I've personally known who has pushed the HP limits of their platform have eventually given up and sold the car, fed up with constantly breaking and replacing things. And that's with the highest quality parts available.

Well, exactly why I started posting on this thread. In the beginning , I wanted to let it go or let it pass but being a moderator here, I wanted to send a message so there will be less of same occurences which makes the forum an unpleasant place to be for some...... "You don't speculate about people or call out people you don't know or have no idea about" ... it usually starts unnecessary arguments between members. That is usually not a problem on our SC300/SC400 sub section. But if we can avoid it all together, then it can be a good place for a lot of people to be and learn. One can always share their views without attacking anybody or being arrogant.

Performance Cars are money pits, plain and simple. They are not build it and forget it. That's why many starts the build and end up selling stuff or the car .
Old 04-19-15, 05:49 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cost-wise it just doesn't make any sense compared to other engines out there, ESPECIALLY now that there are LSx swap mounts available. When you realize the cost of building UZ engine up, to even get over 500hp as mentioned, plus turbo setup costs, and all other supporting mods to put the power down... you probably could have build a +1000hp 2JZ, or massively nice LSx with the same money... and if you put it in an SC then go to try to resell it later, you're going to lose sooo much money...

But, if you want to be different, it does technically "have potential"... *shrug- that's up to you. Btw, hope you have the ability to work on the engine/etc. yourself or you can basically double your expenses just in labor costs.

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 04-19-15 at 05:56 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??