SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 06:57 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Gerrb, I "rediscovered" a nice rod option for the 2uz, I was doing research and read from Lextreme that the Chevy lighning rods are a straight bolt on for the 2uz crank. custom pistons are needed but using more widely available Lightning rods might help keep the costs down and I am sure they will have more variety then custom 2uz rods.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ottom-end.html
That is nice to hear Ali , that gives us more options. As each day pass, that love and wish I had long ago for a built SC400 is being rekindled. I just have to take and collect parts slowly so I don't feel much the expense that might discourage me. If I go for it, I will go all out . I already have a shell to start with , after all.
Old 06-16-15, 08:41 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Yes, but that is like what I HAVE SEEN SO MANY DO...build one part of their car, forget the rest, end up with nothing else that can handle the power or torque...You have to build every part of the car to match every other part of the car...Basic 101 principles!
+10000000000 ...

Exactly what a lot of people do ...( they think , they can just slap a turbo or supercharger , slap in other cheap parts like cheap BOV / cheap wastegate and what not and you got a boosted car , you are good to go. That is one of the reasons why some people , even on this very forum , call us SC owners cheap *** dudes. It hurts being an SC owner but it is what it is.)

and then start being keyboard warriors trying to prove everyone wrong ... some even haven't done it and you see them trying to stubbornly prove everyone wrong .

I know a man in Cali, that of he is willing to do it for you because he likes you...He can build you a low boost set up on the stock engine, change the internals, use existing headers, modify them, add a single turbo, get you about 350 WHP, all for about $5500. That does not include any transmission work or anything else.
This simply proves that even a low hp boosted SC400 is not cheap, people.

Guys .... this man Ryan , is one of the few who unceasingly refused to give up on the SC400 . Learn from his experience and you will benefit a lot . You don't have to go through wasting a lot of time and money experimenting. Another one, here on our SC sub-section is one of our mods ScottURnot... he has a supercharged SC400. They are two of the few on this forum that has running boosted SC400. They can be good resources for boosting the SC400. Their setup might not be for 98% of the people who owns SC400 but don't you think they haven't done their research even for low boosted SC400 with stock internals ? They have been on this forum for quite a while so pretty sure they have done tons of research and gone through evaluating what is and what is not good when it comes to an SC400 with the UZFE.
Old 06-16-15, 09:35 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

apparently the lightning is a ford, and I need another cup of coffee.
Old 06-16-15, 06:30 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
+10000000000 ...

Exactly what a lot of people do ...( they think , they can just slap a turbo or supercharger , slap in other cheap parts like cheap BOV / cheap wastegate and what not and you got a boosted car , you are good to go. That is one of the reasons why some people , even on this very forum , call us SC owners cheap *** dudes. It hurts being an SC owner but it is what it is.)

and then start being keyboard warriors trying to prove everyone wrong ... some even haven't done it and you see them trying to stubbornly prove everyone wrong .

This simply proves that even a low hp boosted SC400 is not cheap, people.

Guys .... this man Ryan , is one of the few who unceasingly refused to give up on the SC400 . Learn from his experience and you will benefit a lot . You don't have to go through wasting a lot of time and money experimenting. Another one, here on our SC sub-section is one of our mods ScottURnot... he has a supercharged SC400. They are two of the few on this forum that has running boosted SC400. They can be good resources for boosting the SC400. Their setup might not be for 98% of the people who owns SC400 but don't you think they haven't done their research even for low boosted SC400 with stock internals ? They have been on this forum for quite a while so pretty sure they have done tons of research and gone through evaluating what is and what is not good when it comes to an SC400 with the UZFE.
but yea thats $5500 with built internals, so a lot of that is in labor of rebuilding an engine, and at 350whp I dont think you need built internals, but at the very least you can turn up the boost on a setup like that and have no worries at all.
Old 06-16-15, 06:46 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PseudoK
but yea thats $5500 with built internals, so a lot of that is in labor of rebuilding an engine, and at 350whp I dont think you need built internals, but at the very least you can turn up the boost on a setup like that and have no worries at all.
You guys have to learn how to sift through what you read if it is a typo error or not , evaluate what you read. There are lots of things written on the internet that are not true or where written by mere keyboard warriors. It is all blah blah blah .

I don't believe Ryan meant built internals. I maybe wrong but try doing the math , let me give you the lower end of costs (not expensive parts)... rods and pistons $2k , machine shop work and assembly $2k , turbo $800, wastegate $300, bov $200 , intercooler and pipes 300, the exhaust manifolds fabrication which is one of the main expense ($1500-2000)... what about the actual install / assembly / labor costs on the car ? ..... so I believe it is not gonna happen with $5500 . What about fuel system and fuel lines , exhaust costs , ecu , wiring , tuning , and others ? We haven't even talk about the head ... if you build it , you know it won't be cheap ... and your camshafts ? One thing I can say , there are a lot of small things in a build that will nickel and dime you as you go through the build and they indeed add up so quick.

He also clearly said get about 350hp. Ryan definitely knows his stuff . He knows a built internal will make more than that. I really doubt he meant built internals. Again, I maybe wrong but just looking at the figures, not even at $15k you can get all that done with labor . The numbers for me just doesn't add up . He himself said how much he spent , he would have been happy if it was only $30k . And surely those who have actually been through a built, not keyboard warriors, know that Ryan ain't joking when he says he spent over $30k.

That is not fair or accurate!! Can you build a low boost, affordable set up? Yes, but that is like what I HAVE SEEN SO MANY DO...build one part of their car, forget the rest, end up with nothing else that can handle the power or torque...You have to build every part of the car to match every other part of the car...Basic 101 principles! I know a man in Cali, that of he is willing to do it for you because he likes you...He can build you a low boost set up on the stock engine, change the internals, use existing headers, modify them, add a single turbo, get you about 350 WHP, all for about $5500. That does not include any transmission work or anything else. Interested? I will contact him and see if he is...Put down David Phan though, and he won't talk to you as he is a friend of David's.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-17-15 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-18-15, 05:33 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Action people. Accept the state of affairs, or change them. There are no other logical choices.
Old 06-18-15, 09:39 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could post up hundreds of pics of my build...I love the 1UZ. I painstakingly built my car over years to get it to exactly what I wanted. Look at how I opened up the lower intake in the prior pic...I did not show the extrude honed upper intake...Or my heads being port matched, those are 980 cc Delphi injectors...The fuel rails are custom made for the car...The engine is larger displacement because it was bored out, the rods are made of forged chrome moly by Pauter, the crank is forged by the factory, so I had it balanced, I even added the oil injectors from the later 3UZ by tapping the oil galley and securing each one in the right place so as to further cool the engine...I can go on and on...I am a believer...Just getting this done takes a lot...TO DO IT THE WAY I DID. As I noted, it can be done for a lot less.

My son is a drifter...We are considering building a new SC as his primary drifter...We are strongly considering building a powerful and much cheaper version of the 1UZ for it so that he can remain Japanese but use a V8.

We will let you know what we do...

Ryan
Love your pics and build Ryan.
Old 07-25-15, 06:17 PM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this is a few weeks old thread but I just read through and saw a lot of cost people were speaking. I just sat and did an overall simple estimate in my head of my UZ vvti build and currently I'm at $3700 (just an estimate could be a little more). Yes that cost does include the soon to be put together short block which will be capable of 1000+. Rods, pistons, arp fasteners, acl race bearing set, and etc I also included the cost of my spring/retainers and cams. Hell I spent more than that on my 2jz alone that was in my old 2GS. So I think there is a break in where people source their parts and how they spend the money. So some of you are a little lost on things here and are stuck on the old the 2jz is out the box better. There is a guy that swapped a 1uz in his Mk3 Supra 100% stock with upgraded injectors and Borg Warner s366. He made 600+whp so people saying oh to make 500hp will cost too much, do your research. Must of us 1uz enthusiast avoid the forums because we get told we are wasting our time and money. Once you actually sit down and look at the cost difference between building a UZ and JZ as I have for out right power. Not talking any of this 500-700hp but 900-1500hp. Money becomes an issues with both. No mind you my post is specific to the engine building not the rest of the car as that is an entire different ball game.

1uz MK3 Supra Build Thread:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?666162-1UZ-swap-complete.-S366-Haltech-E85-etc.#/forumsite/20626/topics/666162

Last edited by Jacj3; 07-25-15 at 06:24 PM.