SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Whats this sc worth? 1 of 17 RSP sc400

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 12:02 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm starting to believe that there are no 98 RSP's. All of them that I ever see are 97's, I dug through CL a bit, and found a thread with color production numbers, but it only had #'s for 97 and 108 were made, 3 of them were shipped outside of the US initially. The color production chart says RSP was available in 98, but again I've never seen one. IF they do exist, they're probably unicorn tier like RSP OG 5 speeds. I've never seen an RSP in real life on Lexus, but I saw it on a Supra, and I swear I was staring for a good portion of the post 9/11 era. Really these pictures and any digital representation I've seen has never done the color justice.
Old 01-21-15, 12:38 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
I'm starting to believe that there are no 98 RSP's. All of them that I ever see are 97's, I dug through CL a bit, and found a thread with color production numbers, but it only had #'s for 97 and 108 were made, 3 of them were shipped outside of the US initially. The color production chart says RSP was available in 98, but again I've never seen one. IF they do exist, they're probably unicorn tier like RSP OG 5 speeds. I've never seen an RSP in real life on Lexus, but I saw it on a Supra, and I swear I was staring for a good portion of the post 9/11 era. Really these pictures and any digital representation I've seen has never done the color justice.

Right. Can't wait to see if one ever becomes for sale and for how much. If I see one, I'm selling my 98 and just removing the sway bars (put the oem ones on).

My favorite color is blue anyway. As soon as I see one, putting her in eBay for $8k.
Old 01-21-15, 04:44 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Beautiful car! So what's your plans for it? If it's anything like your current SC, it's going to be SICK! No pun intended!

steve
Old 01-21-15, 09:16 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Don't know why my thread got closed, but there's a 97 RSP for under 4k.

At a dealer, he doesn't know what he has. I want it because of dumb low price. You could part out the car and get way more than the asking price.

How many miles is on yours, to the OP?
Old 01-21-15, 09:17 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Must be a photo representation thing then, because there's no added depth to the color in any of the photos I've seen. Why were so few of them produced? Was it a limited edition color or just not a popular option? I'm going with the latter, because until I see one in person, my feeling is it looks altogether wrong on the SC. I could see it working much better on the Supra, however.
Old 01-21-15, 10:03 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yes it does work better on the supra, Lexus was funny like that with the SC it got a bunch of different colors and alot of them were for short runs. like if you see a dark pearl red its usually an early year, Rennaisance red was somewhere in the middle like my 95 (there was another peal red that was 96-97 but don't see too many). there are some nice silver colors for certain years also. take a look at the color charts its pretty interesting.

In case others haven't seen this thread yet
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...a-archive.html

Hard to tell if they mean RSP started in 97 and went through 98 or ended when they got to 98.

All of a sudden I want a 2000 Cinnabar Pearl since it was only for the last year =)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-21-15 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-21-15, 12:30 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Hard to tell if they mean RSP started in 97 and went through 98 or ended when they got to 98.

All of a sudden I want a 2000 Cinnabar Pearl since it was only for the last year =)
They made RSP in 97 and 98, the 97 are much more common and the 98 RSP 400 is the unicorn. Maybe they only produced them for a couple of months in that year... I'm not sure??

Here is a link to one that was for sale on a big auction site in the UK... from what i understand it was sold at SEWELL Lexus in Texas and they imported it to the UK...... Im just posting it for PROOF that there was a 98 SC400 Produced.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-SC-4...489&rmvSB=true

Originally Posted by t2d2
Must be a photo representation thing then, because there's no added depth to the color in any of the photos I've seen. Why were so few of them produced? Was it a limited edition color or just not a popular option? I'm going with the latter, because until I see one in person, my feeling is it looks altogether wrong on the SC. I could see it working much better on the Supra, however.
It was a rare color on both the SC and the Supra. I dont think it has anything to do with popularity since they were only made for such a short time i believe it was just a limited amount that was produced.

I think my old car looked fantastic!

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 01-21-15 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 02:12 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh thats right IOwnALexus I forgot about that 98 RSP 400 that was for sale here at Sewell and ended up in London. Wonder if the owner knows how many threads have been made following that car from here to England.

Also another color that looked great on our SC's but is rather rare was Shadow Rose Quartz. Same production years as RSP, and supposedly looks amazing in person. I've never seen one before but it supposedly goes from grey to light purple in the light.
Old 01-21-15, 03:35 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by IOWNALEXUS
It was a rare color on both the SC and the Supra. I dont think it has anything to do with popularity since they were only made for such a short time i believe it was just a limited amount that was produced.
It wasn't just the short production run, though, there were apparently very few of them released even during those few years. If it wasn't intentionally limited by Lexus, it stands to reason they would have produced more if the demand were there. So, it was either a limited edition color or limited demand.

It's a bit of a Catch 22, trying to sell a color that only looks good in person, meaning the demand is never built up enough in the first place to warrant getting many of them on showroom floors for anyone to actually lay eyes on them.

I think my old car looked fantastic!
That lighting captures the color a bit better, but I'm still not feeling it on the SC...at all. To each his own, though!
Old 01-31-18, 06:43 AM
Nycsupra
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumping an old thread because I just picked up a 98 Rsp sc400. Does anyone know the actual production numbers for that year?
Old 01-31-18, 07:46 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Low. Way low. I have been on CL since 2004. I have followed the SC's since then. I have never seen or heard of an RSP SC400 from 1998. If you truly have a 1998 and not a late build 1997, you may actually have the only one in existence. At most it will be one of five in the world, but I doubt the number is even that high.

Can we please see some pix?
Old 01-31-18, 08:37 AM
Nycsupra
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-31-18, 08:43 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Just wondering where people are pulling the numbers of SC production by external colors and / or interior colors ?

So far all I have seen is he or she said ... maybe I am not searching well ?
Old 02-01-18, 06:19 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by IOWNALEXUS
They made RSP in 97 and 98, the 97 are much more common and the 98 RSP 400 is the unicorn. Maybe they only produced them for a couple of months in that year... I'm not sure??

Here is a link to one that was for sale on a big auction site in the UK... from what i understand it was sold at SEWELL Lexus in Texas and they imported it to the UK...... Im just posting it for PROOF that there was a 98 SC400 Produced.
Originally Posted by eknine9
Oh thats right IOwnALexus I forgot about that 98 RSP 400 that was for sale here at Sewell and ended up in London. Wonder if the owner knows how many threads have been made following that car from here to England.
Now THAT is irony! I checked out that car at Sewell Aug/2009; I have the photos somewhere. Still kicking myself for not buying it.
Old 02-03-18, 07:13 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Nycsupra
Nycsupra
Damn your SC is fully loaded! I have never seen a $60K+ SC price tag before on the window sticker!

Quick Reply: Whats this sc worth? 1 of 17 RSP sc400