SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

removing air snorkal without removing headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 11:43 AM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing air snorkal without removing headlight?

i tried to complete my bfi today, but i just dont have the tools to be able to reach those two back screws on the passenger headlight. all i really need to do in order to complete my design is to remove the air snorkal - is there any possible way to do this without taking out the passenger headlight? i've removed all the obvious screws, but it feels like its still bolted down on the passenger side, somewhere around the same area where the passenger headlight has those two back screws. i cant find anything visually, and i couldnt feel anything, either. if anybody can help me out with this, or with some tips for removing that passenger headlight, id be oooooooooh so thankful

edit: in case anybody wants to better understand what im doing, im removing the snorkel and placing a couple wide, plastic tubes in place of it. these will run down inside the passenger fender, underneath the passenger headlight, to the two notches/spaces next to the passenger foglight - this way the air has a much shorter path to take than the more convential bfi design where the tubing runs all the way to the center air dam. this may increase performance and it may not, but it should be an easier design to implement and a more efficient one to boot.

Last edited by kylesc400; 03-11-03 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-11-03, 12:20 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's one more 10mm bolt in the corner, pretty sure you won't get to it without removing the lamp, but it's just one bolt and the two nuts to pull the lamp, takes two minutes, do you not have a long extension to get to the 10mm Cad corner nuts?
Old 03-11-03, 12:28 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

yea, thats the problem. right now im using regular wrenches, and i dont have anything that can reach that far or at the right angle. im trying to find out some way to get this thing off so i can do this today (my only day off this week), but i guess ill end up going to lowe's and get a straight socket wrench or something
Old 03-11-03, 03:06 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Default i can help

Kyle,

Where in VA are u? I'm in southern MD. 20 mins from DC and 20 mins from Swift Racing. If you are close enough, I can help you out.
Old 03-11-03, 05:13 PM
RacingLexusBoi
Rookie

hopes this helps. I used a long screwdriver with the socket attachment on top of it and i just turned it and it got loose. It helps if u have smaller and nimble hands cuz it was a b**** to turn and put my hand in being so tight and such a small area to work in. This is probably the only tym when i wished I had a honda cuz u can just open your hood and take it out with a couple of screws on top without having to go through all this trouble..
Old 03-11-03, 06:33 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

thanks for the help fellas, i went and bought a screwdriver with a set of those attachments for hex bolts and i think this will do the trick. ill try to get this done tomorrow night, and ill certainly take pictures!
Old 03-12-03, 12:00 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Since I knew I wasn't going to use the snorkel again I simply cut it out. It took a few minutes. Be careful not to cut anything else though.
Old 03-12-03, 01:50 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Shame on you...
Old 03-12-03, 06:22 PM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

Default Snorkel removal

I removed the snorkel without removing the headlight. I removed the one bolt I could reach and proceeded to pry and bend the snorkel until it broke off. No problem, but bruised hands.
Old 03-12-03, 06:24 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Shame on you...
Hehe, I still have a spare one from my SC300 I can use. If I want to return completely to stock on the SC400 I can.
Old 03-12-03, 09:48 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Then all is well...
Old 03-12-03, 11:40 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Kyle,
I've got a BFI on my Soarer, and trust me they're worst than the V8's!

From memory (for a Soarer 2.5GT at least), you remove the right wheel, take off the right-undercover part and you've got room to move your hand around under the factory snorkel. Also from memory, I think there was a bolt that was attatched to the snorkel to something near the RHS headlight, and the bolt was facing to the rear of the car, but you can't see it... I remember it took a friend about 45min to figure out how to pull the thing out!

From there it's free sailing though.
Old 03-13-03, 10:29 AM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

i went and bought a screwdriver-like socket wrench set, which should let me get to those screws in back. from there ill end up taking out the headlight and the snorkel, and then ill figure out exactly how im going to attach the piping to the entrance to the air box.
Old 03-14-03, 05:04 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not just remove the stinknin' headlight? Takes like 2 minutes.
Old 03-14-03, 08:48 AM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

Why not just remove the stinknin' headlight? Takes like 2 minutes.
well, if you had bothered to read the first post, you'd know

Quick Reply: removing air snorkal without removing headlight?