SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What the... (discovered my had SC odo tampering)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-14, 09:49 AM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the... (discovered my had SC odo tampering)

92 sc400 "136,xxx supposedly"

So I Decided to sell my sc400 its been a month of trying so I figured id try carmax. Why not...
they go thru all the test yadda yadda yadda. Then finally give me a quote of 700$ :0 I told him thats ridiculous. So he proceeded to show me on the carfax the odometer has been rolled back!!! About 50,000 miles!!!!
Im so dumbfounded! Lol I did my own carfax just to make sure.
Jeeez i thought my car had 136,xxx!! But really it has 186,xxx I even thought I had all the service records but I guess not !!!
golly it sure looks and drives like it has low miles tho !!

Hahaha I just wanted to rant about that and Ask HOW?!? Its digital for peets sake!
What do I do now?
How do I sell this beauty?
Im an honest guy I wouldnt feel right tellin someone the incorrect mileage.
Thanks

Last edited by scRuss; 12-06-14 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-06-14, 12:28 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If your cluster was changed, chances are the previous owner never had it reprogrammed to your current mileage. For instance, I got a cluster for my 95 SC, which has 190k, but this cluster had 150k. All someone needs to do is swap clusters and walla, magically you got lower mileage!
Old 12-06-14, 01:07 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

^^ And DMV and insurance never updates their records as far as I've seen, so aside from mechanic visits, it's highly likely that discrepancies never get recorded.
Old 12-06-14, 01:44 PM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
If your cluster was changed, chances are the previous owner never had it reprogrammed to your current mileage. For instance, I got a cluster for my 95 SC, which has 190k, but this cluster had 150k. All someone needs to do is swap clusters and walla, magically you got lower mileage!
Damn :/ makes perfect sense. I wonder if the guy before me knew!! Haha
Old 12-06-14, 01:57 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carfax reports are NOT 100%, they are only a guide to give basic information. The only information Carfax reports is information that has been reported to the insurance companies, and state registrations. If you wreck your car and dont file the claim and proceed with self repairs or a mom&pop body shop, Carfax has no idea and it will not show.
Old 12-06-14, 02:47 PM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Carfax reports are NOT 100%, they are only a guide to give basic information. The only information Carfax reports is information that has been reported to the insurance companies, and state registrations. If you wreck your car and dont file the claim and proceed with self repairs or a mom&pop body shop, Carfax has no idea and it will not show.
So theres a huge chance its a typo??
Old 12-06-14, 03:34 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scRuss
So theres a huge chance its a typo??
Could be a typo, or like stated earlier, someone swapped the cluster. Take my SC for example. I had 73k original confirmed miles on my SC, did a custom dash cluster and sold my stock one showing 92k miles on it. I am more than positive one day it will pop up in an SC being sold as "low mileage", when the car may actually have 150k+. Unfortunately this is the world we live in. Spend $60 on a used cluster with lower miles, raise the price of the car $1000.
Old 12-06-14, 04:30 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
You are able to input whatever mileage you want into your cluster through some sort of programming? WTF?
Old 12-06-14, 04:42 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

theres a vendor here that offers to change the mileage to your odometer to any number you want for $100.

Ive checked out two 'low mileage' sc400's here that were clearly rolled back.

The mileage cant be trusted anymore , with digital odometers its even easier to roll back then before.
Old 12-06-14, 05:00 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That's ridiculous. I can see it having it's place if someone genuenly wants to use that service (ie. if their cluster broke and they are repalcing it with a new one but want to keep the mileage the same as it was). But theres too many people that will take advantage of it. Like you said, most times, a high mileage car will not look like a low mileage car unless it had an extremely meticulous owner.
Old 12-06-14, 08:52 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I'm honestly more surprised you didn't run a CarFax check on the car before you bought it. You wouldn't be facing this dilemma had you done so.
Old 12-06-14, 11:28 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I'm honestly more surprised you didn't run a CarFax check on the car before you bought it. You wouldn't be facing this dilemma had you done so.
I consider CarFax a waste of money, so I wouldn't go nearly that far. I used it on my previous car purchase, plus the car I had bought new, and it was wrong as often as it was right.
Old 12-07-14, 07:18 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I consider CarFax a waste of money, so I wouldn't go nearly that far. I used it on my previous car purchase, plus the car I had bought new, and it was wrong as often as it was right.
You're saying you would rather not pay $40 for a report and would rather potentially face losing hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars when it comes time to resale, such as the OP? Right or wrong, the OP's situation could've been avoided altogether.
Old 12-07-14, 08:06 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That's ridiculous. I can see it having it's place if someone genuenly wants to use that service (ie. if their cluster broke and they are repalcing it with a new one but want to keep the mileage the same as it was). But theres too many people that will take advantage of it. Like you said, most times, a high mileage car will not look like a low mileage car unless it had an extremely meticulous owner.
Jason @ Tanin Electronics can reprogram your cluster for $89.99 if I'm not mistaken. It's not DIY friendly from what I saw.
Old 12-07-14, 08:30 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
You're saying you would rather not pay $40 for a report and would rather potentially face losing hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars when it comes time to resale, such as the OP? Right or wrong, the OP's situation could've been avoided altogether.
When I ran the Carfax on my own single-owner car, about a third of the info was incorrect. If you don't have that firsthand knowledge of a car's entire history, how do you know what information to trust and what to disregard in the report? Incorrect information is worse than no information, IMO.

And FWIW, Carfax's mileage numbers were way off on my report, so I wouldn't put much stock in them on the OP's. It's a borderline scam of a service, as far as I'm concerned. If it was free, I would use it with a huge grain of salt. As soon as they start charging for something that inaccurate, forget about it.

Quick Reply: What the... (discovered my had SC odo tampering)