SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Dome light won't turn off, Key Reminder Buzzer chimes after key removed, doors closed

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-14, 02:38 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dome light won't turn off, Key Reminder Buzzer chimes after key removed, doors closed

I have a 1998 SC300.

First off, I was hoping someone can tell me where the "door open" switch is for my driver side door, I can't seem to find it.

MY PROBLEM:

My issue just started, once I turn off the engine and remove the ignition key, the Key Reminder Buzzer/Alarm/Chime, whatever you want to call it, starts dinging continuously, and the dome light stays on after the door is shut. My dome light won't turn off.

I have tried arming the alarm with the key remote, and the doors lock, and the alarm is armed but the "door open" ignition key reminder keeps chiming continuously and the dome light stays on, and the ignition key LED light ring stays lit too.

The car thinks my keys are "still in the ignition with the doors open", which is not true of course, they are in my hand, and I have already closed the door, so the dome light should go off, and the key buzzer should never have come on at all.

I think my problem is either a faulty integration relay module (which is located behind the fuse panel at the driver's side foot panel, or it could be my driver's door switch could be faulty, tricking the car's computer to think the door is ajar when it is not.

So far my work around is to just turn off the dome light with the overhead switch in off position, but the Ignition Key Reminder Buzzer continues all night long no matter what.

I don't think there is any kind of system reset I can do, it must be a faulty module or switch.

It all returns to normal once I put my key into the ignition and start the engine.

Anyone know where the door open switch is and how do I get to it?
Old 11-22-14, 07:52 PM
GordonDET
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is inside the door on the same module that contains the door lock motor / actuator.

Also I would recommend that you find and download the factory service manual or Factory workshop manual for the SC300/400. It has every switch, harness, module, nut and bolt listed and has diagrams of where stuff is on the car.
Old 11-23-14, 04:53 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Gordon.

I did try to look for PDF files of the SC300, I spent over 2 hours online the other right Googling SC300 service manual PDFs and every one I came to was a dead end, page after page of Google results (or lack thereof).

Anyone who has ever had to search for any type of owners manuals online knows it's the Mos Isely Spaceport of the internet, a wretched hive of scum and villainy!

All scams, all lies, all claiming to be free SC300 service manual PDFs, and you see the first page of the PDF for free, and it says click here to download free, and you get nothing but pay to join, pay for this, and some questionable sites that look like they just want to steal your credit card.

Some were "free" but you have to register with your credit card. So I came up 100% empty, unless someone here on the forums has a good link to a pdf file. Other people are selling printed books for $200+, but I would rather have the searchable PDF.

eBay had sold a few CDs for $15, but I none this month.

I really don't want to pay major bucks taking it to the dealer, they will charge $450 for the integration module if that turns out to be my root cause.
Old 11-25-14, 08:54 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I have all of the SC electrical modules from a parts car I stripped in 2006. Find out which one you need and if I have it I'll let you know. The majority of those modules they changed the part numbers on but only updated them, not changed the modules themselves.
Old 11-26-14, 02:16 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Well looks like I won't be able to do this repair myself. The integration module is on the backside of the fuse panel, located on the left side of my drivers kick panel.

The problem is this fuse block is huge, and there's tons of connectors, fuses and relays that you must remove first. which I would be willing to do.

But the problem is I see no way to get any tool up at the upper fasteners, which I can't even see where they are. I even shot this photo below, and I can't even get my camera high enough to peer up near the top to see what the fasteners look like or where they are.

So good luck fitting any tool I have up there, and blindly trying to remove the screws.

I think this might be a job for the Lexus dealer, who I know will charge me a fortune, but they know how to do it and they have a service manual

I can't even find a service manual. Every place online advertising them is a scam.

Dome light won't turn off, Key Reminder Buzzer chimes after key removed, doors closed-lguty4c.jpg
Old 09-15-20, 08:02 AM
velascja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my lexus sc300 1997 just started doing the same same.... So, what did you end up doing to resolve your issue. I was wondering if anyone knows if disconnecting the switch at the door jam would result in the same? disconnecting the switch sounds easier than the chime underneath the steering wheel?
Another question is if the chime is drawing current from the battery?