SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My Custom Manual Style Shifter!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 03:23 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My Custom Manual Style Shifter!!

OK guys, finally getting the chance to grab these pics off of my camera. What do you guys think?

UPDATED PICS (CENTERED):

Last edited by LoveSCs; 11-09-14 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Added pics of shifter centered
Old 11-06-14, 06:00 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That looks sick!

Great job. 100X better than the ugly factory shifter.

What is the on/off switch for?
Old 11-06-14, 06:35 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

stock looks so much better/cleaner.
Old 11-06-14, 08:15 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

You're gonna get a wide range of opinions... I give you props for ambition, but it looks kind of goofy, IMO. Being off center is tough to do anything about, unfortunately. As long as the gear indicator lights on your dash work, I guess there's no harm in doing away with them alongside the stock shifter. At least this way, you're not tied to a poorly designed (wear-wise) shift ****.

I assume the toggle switch is for the Power/Normal button? At least replace that with a nicer looking rocker switch. What are you doing for an overdrive button? Is the gear release permanently disabled, or do you have to depress something?

It would look a little better if you wrapped some foam around the shifter to puff up the leather boot. It looks a bit sunken as is.
Old 11-07-14, 09:46 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That looks sick!

Great job. 100X better than the ugly factory shifter.

What is the on/off switch for?
Thanks! The On/Off switch is a center return toggle switch for manually changing through the gears via suprastick

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
stock looks so much better/cleaner.
Thanks. While stock does look nice, I wanted the look and feel of a manual, which has a 100% success rate so far with anyone who has seen my car

Originally Posted by t2d2
You're gonna get a wide range of opinions... I give you props for ambition, but it looks kind of goofy, IMO. Being off center is tough to do anything about, unfortunately. As long as the gear indicator lights on your dash work, I guess there's no harm in doing away with them alongside the stock shifter. At least this way, you're not tied to a poorly designed (wear-wise) shift ****.

I assume the toggle switch is for the Power/Normal button? At least replace that with a nicer looking rocker switch. What are you doing for an overdrive button? Is the gear release permanently disabled, or do you have to depress something?

It would look a little better if you wrapped some foam around the shifter to puff up the leather boot. It looks a bit sunken as is.
Thanks for input. The off-centerness always irked me too, and now that I have another opinion on it, I'm going to make something up probably this weekend to center it. As far as it being sunken, I wanted it to be short because I wanted it to look like a short shifter. I hate having a really tall shifter.. I ended up cutting off a bit of the T-bar to make it to the height I wanted. But, if someone else wanted to do this, then they could have it at the height that they want it.

The toggle switch is for suprastick manual mode. I was going to go with paddles, but I am a hand-at-12:00 kind of driver, and this was what I just came up with. Kind of sticks out, I know, but maybe in the future I will come up with something else.

The overdrive button I just have jumpered to always have it enabled, since I am controlling the gears anyway, and I only go into 4th when I want to. But, if somebody else wanted to do this and didn't have a transmission controller, then they could just relocate a toggle switch somewhere.

The gear release is permanently disabled
Old 11-08-14, 03:44 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice manumatic!!!
I'm guessing everyone who goes this way ends up picking up a manual trany down the road and doing complete swap like myself , and longest patience is getting the right r154 for the right price

Now back to the subject!!
It looks very nice,I love it because I have one, I just would love it more if I was banging gears and looks more straight up like manual
Believe me guys there is nothing like it

Op:
If no one knows the shift pattern, it's hard to steal your car ( can't shift)

I also didn't bother with the switch and left everything stock and tucked it under the cup holder for easy access, soon I'll extend it into the center console for the clean looks

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 11-08-14 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-08-14, 03:54 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd be too ashamed to take pictures and post them on the internet with my interior looking that damn dirty. Dish soap and water would easily take all that nasty gunk off your radio.

As for the shifter, not real keen on it since it sits off center and has a manual shift pattern on it when its still an automatic. Do you still move it back and forth to shift from park to drive, etc? Fix those two things and IMO it would look a lot cleaner than the stock ***** style automatic shift lever.
Old 11-08-14, 05:01 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Nice manumatic!!!
I'm guessing everyone who goes this way ends up picking up a manual trany down the road and doing complete swap like myself , and longest patience is getting the right r154 for the right price

Now back to the subject!!
It looks very nice,I love it because I have one, I just would love it more if I was banging gears and looks more straight up like manual
Believe me guys there is nothing like it

Op:
If no one knows the shift pattern, it's hard to steal your car ( can't shift)

I also didn't bother with the switch and left everything stock and tucked it under the cup holder for easy access, soon I'll extend it into the center console for the clean looks
Thanks bud. Are you saying that you have a suprastick, and manual shifter? And yeah, I can imagine someone trying to steal my car and trying to figure out where the hell the clutch is haha. I am either considering going R154 or built auto. Been doing some research on ATF Speed's built auto and can apparently hold up to 800HP. Even if that is inflated, then I would think that it could at least hold what an R154 can. Then you have no clutch to deal with, but can also control gears while retaining all auto advantages. Plus, suprastick + built auto are a lot more unique than R154 swaps..

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd be too ashamed to take pictures and post them on the internet with my interior looking that damn dirty. Dish soap and water would easily take all that nasty gunk off your radio.

As for the shifter, not real keen on it since it sits off center and has a manual shift pattern on it when its still an automatic. Do you still move it back and forth to shift from park to drive, etc? Fix those two things and IMO it would look a lot cleaner than the stock ***** style automatic shift lever.
Thanks for input. As far as cleanliness, the car is pretty clean except for needing a little vacuuming. The flash just accentuates all the imperfections in the center console. I plan on taking that off this winter and sanding it and painting it.

I will have a new shifter in probably tomorrow that is centered. And yes, I want it to be a manual style shifter. That was my whole point of putting in a manual shifter conversion and manual shift bezel.
Old 11-08-14, 08:37 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't know what suprastick is, but I just replaced the shifter bezel with a manual one and got a shifter and pedals
Old 11-09-14, 07:33 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
I don't know what suprastick is, but I just replaced the shifter bezel with a manual one and got a shifter and pedals
OK cool!. Suprastick is a custom tranny ecu
Old 11-09-14, 03:44 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not bad. i like it. even tho it looks slightly off, i do like it better than the stock one. it could be longer but it definitely makes the center area look more modern. good job
Old 11-09-14, 05:03 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigwes
not bad. i like it. even tho it looks slightly off, i do like it better than the stock one. it could be longer but it definitely makes the center area look more modern. good job
Thank you!
Old 11-09-14, 05:04 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

OK guys, by popular demand, the shifter is now centered haha (see first post, updated with pics). I think it looks much better like this
Old 11-09-14, 05:10 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Much better! What all did you do to center it, a double-90 bend?
Old 11-09-14, 05:35 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
Much better! What all did you do to center it, a double-90 bend?
Thanks! I designed a 3d printed kit that I made up

Quick Reply: My Custom Manual Style Shifter!!