SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Strange Transmission Ghost

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14, 09:00 PM
sc400bend
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy SC400 Strange Transmission Ghost

I have a 1995 SC400 that I just replaced the transmission in. I got a used transmission and installed it about a week ago. i have had no problems at all until........ My problem is that after sitting overnight, I jumped into my car and backed it out of the driveway. I shifted it into drive and the car will not move. I crawled under and disconnected the main connector and I can hear the car going into the gears and the distinct noise of the clutch packs engaging in all gears.
I checked the fluid level and it was normal.
I did not replace the torque converter when I did the tranny swap and my old transmission had lost all gears but first.
If anyone has any ideas about what to try, please, please let me know.

One other thing. The used tranny had did not have the sensor inside the transmission that hangs below the valve body. I had to swap out the harness with my old transmission in order for the plugs to fit. It worked just fine until today. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-14, 10:23 PM
Penthos
Driver School Candidate

Default Tc

There are many things people suggested to me as I had this exact problem a month ago. Bought the car and drove it. 30 minutes later, little forward acceleration until there was no forward at ALL. I read up on the ignition coil problem so I changed the spark plugs, ignition coils, spark plug wires. I even changed the ignition harness because the 2-pin connectors were broken. Still the same. Took it to a transmission shop, they opened up the trans and it turned out to be my torque converter. So right now they're doing a complete transmission overhaul just to be safe.

You might also want to check your ECU for leaking capacitors. I didn't do this check but everyone recommended it. I'm a noob to SC's (only had mine for a month lol) and I'm learning as I go but I try reading up as much as I can in the forums.
Old 09-02-14, 02:43 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy solution = W58

DO ITTtttt!!!
Old 09-02-14, 03:03 AM
Penthos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Easy solution = W58

DO ITTtttt!!!
I would do this but I don't know how to drive manual and don't necessarily want to learn. Lol
Old 09-02-14, 11:04 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Penthos
I would do this but I don't know how to drive manual and don't necessarily want to learn. Lol
You're only doing yourself a dis-service my man. I haven't heard a single complaint about going manual on the 1UZ. I honestly can't wait to do mine.