SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Back to Stock OR Built Drivetrain for this 1997 SC300 Original 5 Speed
Back to Stock
43.75%
Built Drivetrain
56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Back to Stock OR Built Drivetrain for this 1997 SC300 Original 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-14, 05:07 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Back to Stock OR Built Drivetrain for this 1997 SC300 Original 5 speed

I am toying the idea of just returning this 1997 SC300 5 speed into its stock version (2jzge / W58) since I have 3 other SC shells I can use at the moment that I can put in my built 2jzgte drivetrains aside from my already built Black Mamba. Wouldn't the value of this car be better with it all stock ? I know where the original stock motor of this car is. It is with a friend.

We all know that there were only 120 of them 5 speed in 1997 and probably less than a 100 of them running to this date after 17 years in existence. Wouldn't their value go higher as time pass ? We also all know that built SCs never sell good ... never seen one . All the done right built SCs I know of where parted out at the end or were sold at a bargain price.

WHAT WILL YOU DO if you where in my shoes ? Your Opinions ?

Old 08-16-14, 08:24 AM
Nojoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, that color combination is highly desirable as you know. It's condition is also outstanding from what I can see in the photos.

Depending on what you would spend to build it, you would probably net more stock if the parts are available and on hand.
Old 08-16-14, 08:45 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nojoi
Well, that color combination is highly desirable as you know. It's condition is also outstanding from what I can see in the photos.

Depending on what you would spend to build it, you would probably net more stock if the parts are available and on hand.
I hear you . The condition of this car is even better in person . Am sure many who have seen it personally can say so. The pictures for me still do not do justice on the real condition of this car.

I have no intention of selling the car in the near future or even future future . But we don't know what life brings ahead of us. We always say I will keep this car. I have heard it many times and I said it many times too.

Building it , I got the drivetrain ready for this car , it can either be a newly built 3.4liter stroker or a newly built 3.0 with an all brand new V160 6 speed drivetrain. If life forces me to sell it let's say , there is no way I can get back my money if it will get an all built drivetrain. On the other hand , there are the purists out there .. all stock RARE 1997 SC300 5 speed Black on Black. Surely there I can get back my money.

So trying to get opinions.. There is no right or wrong here . There are the purists and there are the Build All the Way ...

So vote ... again there is no right or wrong .. it is personal preference. Wanted to see how many here value the RARITY of the 97 SC300 5 speed . That is why even if I wanted to put in the best drivetrain this rare car should have , still the idea of bringing it stock (since I know where the engine is right now) keep bothering me.
Old 08-16-14, 09:56 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll trade you my 90k '99 sc400 and save you a ton of headache ;-) lol. I'll even drive it down and do the exchange.

I vote for modding it. Although you can't back back ALL of what you put into it, you can't still definitely sell a 1 of 50 blk/blk GTE/V160 for over $20k down the road. As long as it's not beat up. I seem to remember two blk/blk 97 5spd's with that drivetrain go for that much 5-6 years ago (unless I'm mistaken and it was parted in the end).

Here's some of the threads/cars I was thinking of..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ack-sc300.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ly-driver.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...tons-more.html

Last edited by scENFORCER; 08-16-14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-16-14, 11:26 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When I bought my first SC in March of 2008 and started lurking on the forums, the 97 5spd's were the unicorns that everyone seemed to want. Made me want to get one too. Then when I came across one for sale through the insurance auto auctions in October of 2012 I couldn't pass it up. I wanted to make it stock and keep it as a car that will appreciate in value hopefully if I fixed it up and kept everything OEM (quarter panel had to be replaced, and needed a new bumper, everything else was in wonderful shape). However, since it would come with a rebuilt title, I decided to just boost it, and build it like I always wanted. So i had the fenders rolled flat, antenna shaved, had the car de-badged and de-winged when I was getting it painted. I decided that yes, it is a 97 5spd, but I will just make it a better version of what it should have been from the factory. So i boosted the low mileage, well maintained motor to only 10psi, upgraded the clutch, and kept it mostly looking stock and driving as a faster reliable daily driver. I had some issues with the TT ECU mod that have been a huge headache, but other then that the car is great. I just would not be able to keep it without any motor upgrades because this car was so slow in standard form. Slower then my 96 SC400 and much slower then my 2011 Mustang.

I vote to modify the drivetrain!
Old 08-16-14, 12:46 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I'll trade you my 90k '99 sc400 and save you a ton of headache ;-) lol. I'll even drive it down and do the exchange.

I vote for modding it. Although you can't back back ALL of what you put into it, you can't still definitely sell a 1 of 50 blk/blk GTE/V160 for over $20k down the road. As long as it's not beat up. I seem to remember two blk/blk 97 5spd's with that drivetrain go for that much 5-6 years ago (unless I'm mistaken and it was parted in the end).
haha .... damn, I admire you ....... you are willing to tow a 97 sc300 5 speed 3500 miles away (GA - Vancouver BC ) .

The problem with built SCs , they have a bad / unfair competition with their bigger brothers , the MKIVs.. Someone with $20-25k will rather buy a MKIV. That is one reason built SCs do not sell I believe. Buyers will think, they can build their MKIV slowly anyway . It's the prestige and bragging right of having a MKIV.

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
When I bought my first SC in March of 2008 and started lurking on the forums, the 97 5spd's were the unicorns that everyone seemed to want. Made me want to get one too. Then when I came across one for sale through the insurance auto auctions in October of 2012 I couldn't pass it up. I wanted to make it stock and keep it as a car that will appreciate in value hopefully if I fixed it up and kept everything OEM (quarter panel had to be replaced, and needed a new bumper, everything else was in wonderful shape). However, since it would come with a rebuilt title, I decided to just boost it, and build it like I always wanted. So i had the fenders rolled flat, antenna shaved, had the car de-badged and de-winged when I was getting it painted. I decided that yes, it is a 97 5spd, but I will just make it a better version of what it should have been from the factory. So i boosted the low mileage, well maintained motor to only 10psi, upgraded the clutch, and kept it mostly looking stock and driving as a faster reliable daily driver. I had some issues with the TT ECU mod that have been a huge headache, but other then that the car is great. I just would not be able to keep it without any motor upgrades because this car was so slow in standard form. Slower then my 96 SC400 and much slower then my 2011 Mustang.

I vote to modify the drivetrain!
That is one thing I am afraid of if I just put this back to stock GE / W58. I might not even drive it again when I feel how slow it is compared to my Black Mamba SC and MKIVs.

THANKS for your input guys ! Again, please vote , let's hear your opinion ... there is no right or wrong here !!!
Old 08-16-14, 02:10 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Gerrb!,
Get the best of both worlds.
Grab that original motor and put and the original W58 in a safe place. Build the car the way you want it and enjoy it. That's what it is for! If you should have to sell it, put two adds in the paper. If someone wants the built car, GREAT!
If someone wants the stock car that badly. Tell them it will be ready in a week but offer them a drive with the built drivetrain. You quite possibly may change their mind! if not, return it to stock and move on.
Old 08-16-14, 03:27 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Honestly? From those pictures?

Leave the 2JZGTE in. Source out an R154 and swap that in. The interior looks very clean already but remove whatever aftermarket gear isn't hidden in the glove box or consoles. Return the (2JZGTE) engine to stock or a very simple single turbo setup that can run on pump gas. Change the wheels and exhaust to something more stock looking. Get an OEM shift ****.

Then call it a day.

The 1997 5-speed is very desirable and since you've already got one of the better, rarer editions of the SC with the most desirable engine already swapped into it... just sort out the above details and keep it "stock" in the sense outlined above. The R154 suggestion is more for the sake of longevity and durability.

I'd think swapping the engine into one of your other SC's would not be worth it unless you absolutely just wanted to build a horsepower machine you'd never sell. Not that I think you should sell your 1997 model but... you've already set it up for the most part. Why not just sort a couple of things and enjoy it on the weekends?
Old 08-16-14, 06:48 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Gerrb!,
Get the best of both worlds.
Grab that original motor and put and the original W58 in a safe place. Build the car the way you want it and enjoy it. That's what it is for! If you should have to sell it, put two adds in the paper. If someone wants the built car, GREAT!
If someone wants the stock car that badly. Tell them it will be ready in a week but offer them a drive with the built drivetrain. You quite possibly may change their mind! if not, return it to stock and move on.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Honestly? From those pictures?

Leave the 2JZGTE in. Source out an R154 and swap that in. The interior looks very clean already but remove whatever aftermarket gear isn't hidden in the glove box or consoles. Return the (2JZGTE) engine to stock or a very simple single turbo setup that can run on pump gas. Change the wheels and exhaust to something more stock looking. Get an OEM shift ****.

Then call it a day.

The 1997 5-speed is very desirable and since you've already got one of the better, rarer editions of the SC with the most desirable engine already swapped into it... just sort out the above details and keep it "stock" in the sense outlined above. The R154 suggestion is more for the sake of longevity and durability.

I'd think swapping the engine into one of your other SC's would not be worth it unless you absolutely just wanted to build a horsepower machine you'd never sell. Not that I think you should sell your 1997 model but... you've already set it up for the most part. Why not just sort a couple of things and enjoy it on the weekends?

Thanks for you input guys... You all have valid points for me to consider. I really wished I had the money when Aaron decided to part it out . It would have been a perfect setup already... refreshed 2jzgte / R154 .... just had to enjoy it as Omar (99SC4) said. Aaron spent over $20k on the damn car and was willing to give it to me for a ridiculuously low price and I even offered the deal to some local friends who are forum members too and we all didn't have the dough.

Hmmm... it just dawned on me... ...I only have $1400 tied up on the built 3.0 engine with CP Pistons / Crower Rods , Built Head with Crower Cams that a good friend sold to me. If I use that on this car, my cost won't sky rocket .. I think an R154 will hold 750rwhp , so that lowers down my cost even more instead of the new V160 I was hoarding and still enjoy the car's power pretty good. And if ever life circumstances forces me to sell it, I won't loose any money but instead more likely make money since I don't have much on it. It will be a desirable Rare 1997 SC300 5 speed with an engine that can hold up to 1000rwhp and an R154 tranny.

I like the stock idea but I don't think I will be able to enjoy the car while I have it.

Thanks for all those who voted and voiced their opinions.
Old 08-16-14, 07:01 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think having a v160 is the biggest bragging rights and plus a factory 5 speed car.

in most cases when soneone is looking for a supra and yours pops up for the same price as a N/A supra, they might jump on yours. but you shouldn't worry about it because your not selling it, I say just do it right and lose a few bucks in the end lol.

Last edited by mikef; 08-16-14 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 05:58 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

gerb, I have read a lot of what you have been doing with these SC's and I have to say that you are inspiring to me. I WANT a 97 5speed and I'll find one eventually (maybe). I have a 97 auto right now that is in pristine condition and right now it is stock. I keep going back and forth with what to do with it. One day I want to do everything on my wish list and the next I contemplate if it's worth the money. Anyway, just thought I'd chime in and tell you that it's fun reading your posts and I'm glad to be a part of this forum.
Old 08-17-14, 05:59 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

ps- if you DO decide to go the stock route... i'll gladly take that steering wheel off your hands :-)
Old 08-17-14, 06:47 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
gerb, I have read a lot of what you have been doing with these SC's and I have to say that you are inspiring to me. I WANT a 97 5speed and I'll find one eventually (maybe). I have a 97 auto right now that is in pristine condition and right now it is stock. I keep going back and forth with what to do with it. One day I want to do everything on my wish list and the next I contemplate if it's worth the money. Anyway, just thought I'd chime in and tell you that it's fun reading your posts and I'm glad to be a part of this forum.
thanks ... surely one day, you will be able to do whatever you want on your car as long as you work hard for it.

I always tell my friends, don't even play with performance toys if you can't work on them not unless you have a boat load of money you can spend always. It is not cheap having performance cars and knowing how to work on them definitely gives you an edge in a lot of ways.
Old 08-17-14, 07:02 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mikef
I think having a v160 is the biggest bragging rights and plus a factory 5 speed car.

in most cases when soneone is looking for a supra and yours pops up for the same price as a N/A supra, they might jump on yours. but you shouldn't worry about it because your not selling it, I say just do it right and lose a few bucks in the end lol.

True , that v160 is one of the biggest bragging right .. but also one of the reason why your cost sky rockets . Just for 6 speed, clutch/pp , driveshaft , diff and axles... thats at least $8k on second hand parts . And that's just for a single disk clutch.

I don't know , there is something on Supras that make them highly wanted. Like I sold a freaking MKIV shell that needed body work.. no engine, no tranny , no diff.... in short no drivetrain and it sold for $10k on SF. And we have seen a lot of 6 speed 2jzgte SCs parted out and tip top condition. The market speaks for itself.
Old 08-17-14, 07:06 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Man gerrb.... I gotta be honest. I lost track of how many SC's you have.

So....how many do you have? Like 8?

Quick Reply: Back to Stock OR Built Drivetrain for this 1997 SC300 Original 5 speed