SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Has anyone done a full interior swap? Did you experience squeaks and rattles after?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 07:58 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Has anyone done a full interior swap? Did you experience squeaks and rattles after?

Anyone who has done a full interior swap, did you experience squeaks and rattles when driving the car after you were finished? Any specific sources of the rattles? Any tips for avoiding this? Any specific areas where this is common (dash etc.)? Was it annoying enough to regret it?

Thanks,
SG
Old 08-11-14, 08:07 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I did a full tan to black interior on a previous car and did notice some changes in sound. It could be a number of things. Could be broken tabs not secured, a clip or harness not secured and rattling or squeaking on the body etc etc.. All of this can be fixed with sound deadening material but that also adds a ton of weight. I'd take the panel off and get to the root cause of the sound. Put some electrical tape or loom around anything you can. Make sure everything is snug and actually clipped in where it should be.

I hear ya though, a Lexus should drive smooth, soft and reliable on the interior. Anything else is just cheap...
Old 08-11-14, 08:17 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kris9884
I did a full tan to black interior on a previous car and did notice some changes in sound. It could be a number of things. Could be broken tabs not secured, a clip or harness not secured and rattling or squeaking on the body etc etc.. All of this can be fixed with sound deadening material but that also adds a ton of weight. I'd take the panel off and get to the root cause of the sound. Put some electrical tape or loom around anything you can. Make sure everything is snug and actually clipped in where it should be.

I hear ya though, a Lexus should drive smooth, soft and reliable on the interior. Anything else is just cheap...
I have not done it yet, I am considering it and wanted to make sure I did not regret it if I did have it done.

Thanks Kris,
SG
Old 08-11-14, 08:24 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I have not done it yet, I am considering it and wanted to make sure I did not regret it if I did have it done.

Thanks Kris,
SG
Ah, in that case definitely pay the extra $5-10 at Lexus or AutoZone to replace any cracked or broken tabs before the install. Its a PITA to go through and re-do after it's all in, they just slide into place and should alleviate almost all of the squeaking sounds you may run into. Of course, also loom things where you see fit. But yeah man, anything you replace on the interior is something that you'll see and enjoy every time you drive your car, its a great mod.
Old 08-11-14, 08:35 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Question

Ah, in that case definitely pay the extra $5-10 at Lexus or AutoZone to replace any cracked or broken tabs before the install. Its a PITA to go through and re-do after it's all in, they just slide into place and should alleviate almost all of the squeaking sounds you may run into. Of course, also loom things where you see fit. But yeah man, anything you replace on the interior is something that you'll see and enjoy every time you drive your car, its a great mod.
Are there many types of tabs, or are they all the same? Is it logical to just buy a bunch of them and have them on hand just in case?
Old 08-11-14, 09:06 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Are there many types of tabs, or are they all the same? Is it logical to just buy a bunch of them and have them on hand just in case?
Yes and no. Lexus will have the exact clips you need but will probably have to order them and wait so sooner the better. On the other hand, Autozone DOES have an assortment of "import" clips that can be picked up at any time, they are all practically the same. Guess you'll just have to wait and see what you need and how many.
Old 08-11-14, 09:15 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Yes and no. Lexus will have the exact clips you need but will probably have to order them and wait so sooner the better. On the other hand, Autozone DOES have an assortment of "import" clips that can be picked up at any time, they are all practically the same. Guess you'll just have to wait and see what you need and how many.
Willdo!

Thank You Kris!
Old 08-11-14, 02:40 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't do a full interior swap but I've taken every panel out of my current SC and I'm squeak free except for a small creak I hear over big bumps from my double din area. I used dynamat on everything, which I highly recommend, and as a preventative measure I epoxied commonly cracked areas to prevent them from cracking in the future. If you're switching to black, you need to make sure all the tabs are present and not cracked.
Old 08-12-14, 09:30 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done a few...in fact every SC i buy is tan and i swap my black interior into every car. I have never had a squeak or rattle, unless i have change in the cup holder and can on top of it. lol
Old 08-12-14, 10:44 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
I have done a few...in fact every SC i buy is tan and i swap my black interior into every car. I have never had a squeak or rattle, unless i have change in the cup holder and can on top of it. lol
That is great news! Thank You!

SG