SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just bought my 92 sc300 180k.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 06:52 PM
sh0rtlee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just bought my 92 sc300 180k.

Sorry its been awhile guys ! but awhile back i posted i was going to grab a 97 sc300 , which i was wrong. my car is actually a 92 .
Anyways ! im 16yrs old working at mcdonalds and making monthly payments to my uncle for this
awesome 1992 sc300 5spd coupe @ 180k miles. all stock(for now )
Flaws that im aware of :
- Starter needs to be changed, failure in extreme heat.
- Passenger door handle is broken .
- No A/C, unsure if it needs a new compressor or just a recharge.
- Wear & tear interior
- Half working radio/climate control display thing.(lol)
Ohyeah , and im paying 2k in total.

Will try my best to become a contributing member despite my limited knowkledge of cars although i am VERY eager to learn.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought my 92 sc300 180k.-img_4429.jpg   Just bought my 92 sc300 180k.-mysc300.jpg  
Old 08-09-14, 07:28 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome man! Congrats!
Thats a fine car for a young man (or an old man for that matter). It's looking good!
There is info here on every issue you have.
I see you have 2 remote keys. Do they work?

SG
Old 08-10-14, 10:21 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Welcome....

Wow, 16 yrs old and driving a '92 5sp.... Good taste, young man.

Now for the "bad news"; while these are great cars and a joy to improve and modify the costs add up quickly. The threads here are a fantastic source for a DIYer willing to put the time in to reduce the costs of a repair/mod shop. (Me being an "old guy" I can afford to use pro's).

Best advice I can give is to read - read - read these threads.... Use the search function. Don't be afraid to ask questions (despite some members that give sarcastic answers). Take your time; lots of options and choices to make.

Enjoy the car......

Last edited by Duck05; 08-10-14 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 03:16 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Welcome to the forum! nice car. I'm jealous that it's a 5spd!
Old 08-10-14, 03:31 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job snagging a 5speed bro.
You may not have to replace the entire starter. You can buy the contact kit for the starter at a dealership for about $36 for both sides. That's typically what actually breaks on the starter, the motor itself is bulletproof. You could even buy a new plunger as well if you want, those I've seen run as little as $30 or as much as $70.
They're really easy to install, most of the work is just getting the starter off. There are a few DIY's on the forum for replacing the starter, the top bolt on it is tricky to reach, and on the 5speed's there is a clutch line in the way that makes it tough to wiggle the starter out once you do have it fully disconnected. But just keep jiggling it and you'll be able to get it out.

It's a lot cheaper than buying a dealership starter, and you'll get dealership reliability for cheaper than the price of buying a remanned starter from autozone.
Old 08-10-14, 04:03 PM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice 5spd!
Old 08-10-14, 04:31 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have stated, welcome! Great pick up, and 180k...nothing for these engines. I have about 275k on mine now, and my first one I sold it at about 330k...lol. Basic maintenance first, before the MODs. Search, and do your research, and see what other members have done to theirs. This will hopefully save you a butt load of money? Check out the classifieds threads for good deals on parts. PM Aliga, RGW LLC, or Gerrb. Between those guys, they might have a replacement door handle for you? GL and keep us posted.

steve
Old 08-10-14, 10:24 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! Good taste for such a young age. Welcome to CL
Old 08-10-14, 10:37 PM
sh0rtlee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Duck05
Welcome....

Wow, 16 yrs old and driving a '92 5sp.... Good taste, young man.

Now for the "bad news"; while these are great cars and a joy to improve and modify the costs add up quickly. The threads here are a fantastic source for a DIYer willing to put the time in to reduce the costs of a repair/mod shop. (Me being an "old guy" I can afford to use pro's).

Best advice I can give is to read - read - read these threads.... Use the search function. Don't be afraid to ask questions (despite some members that give sarcastic answers). Take your time; lots of options and choices to make.

Enjoy the car......
thanks will do
Old 08-10-14, 10:41 PM
sh0rtlee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
Hi, I like your keys. I just joined a month ago and I am already at POLE POSITION so I am an active and avid fan of this car right now. The Sc has something all classics have like namely the Prelude, 240sx, supra etc. and I think it is exotic coupe looks. I got a 1995 Sc so we have the same car. We have the same gen clip from 92-96 before they added tech on 97-01 but dont quote me on that and mine is beige so we have similar sedate color. Btw, mine is mint from outside and it's a good boy inside too, the total package. I bought it for 4800 and the seller who is a Internet car salesman says I can sell it for 6k on Auto trader but I can't sell it cause I can't find a pleasing style like this with comfort and luxury at this price. Hard to find classic car so doh, self explanatory.

How does your car drive. Does your car tires screech in parking lots when you accelerate quickly from a stop and turn the wheel?? Mine does and I think I need an alignment. I heard a noise sometimes at top of engine and not as often noticable to me but my mechanic, sticky gas pedal too so I think it needs carbon cleaning. Other then that it is so smooth and steady and relaxing physically and... What about yours?!

I see you like to row your own gears with the manual 5 sp? Is this a hassle? I got the AUTOMAGIC!
well to be honest , im still learning the ins and outs of manual & im roughing my edges out with my technique .
BUT my car does run smooth, i love my handling compared to any other car i've driven.
i don't hear any noises, screeches etc. only thing that happens is my car lurches when i shift poorly.
Old 08-10-14, 10:42 PM
sh0rtlee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eknine9
Nice job snagging a 5speed bro.
You may not have to replace the entire starter. You can buy the contact kit for the starter at a dealership for about $36 for both sides. That's typically what actually breaks on the starter, the motor itself is bulletproof. You could even buy a new plunger as well if you want, those I've seen run as little as $30 or as much as $70.
They're really easy to install, most of the work is just getting the starter off. There are a few DIY's on the forum for replacing the starter, the top bolt on it is tricky to reach, and on the 5speed's there is a clutch line in the way that makes it tough to wiggle the starter out once you do have it fully disconnected. But just keep jiggling it and you'll be able to get it out.

It's a lot cheaper than buying a dealership starter, and you'll get dealership reliability for cheaper than the price of buying a remanned starter from autozone.
Yeah, i talked to my uncle today. He told me that i just need to take it out and replace a few parts , so i'll be taking pics and logging my progress because i'm not experienced enough to be making my own guide for this . thanks for the input though
Old 08-10-14, 10:43 PM
sh0rtlee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
As others have stated, welcome! Great pick up, and 180k...nothing for these engines. I have about 275k on mine now, and my first one I sold it at about 330k...lol. Basic maintenance first, before the MODs. Search, and do your research, and see what other members have done to theirs. This will hopefully save you a butt load of money? Check out the classifieds threads for good deals on parts. PM Aliga, RGW LLC, or Gerrb. Between those guys, they might have a replacement door handle for you? GL and keep us posted.

steve
Thanks , What parts and things should i perform maintenance on ?
Old 08-10-14, 10:44 PM
sh0rtlee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Congrats! Good taste for such a young age. Welcome to CL
Thank you thank you !
Old 08-11-14, 04:28 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Congratulations on the car and welcome to CL, sh0rtlee!

You do have a nice example there! It's actually a great car to learn a stick shift on and one of the better used older stick shift coupes you can buy. 180k isn't bad at all. I bought mine with 189k. There were some issues but once addressed everything was fine. These cars mechanically can go many, many more thousands of miles more than that if you maintain them and if the engine has been treated well over its service life. Hope you're enjoying it so far!

As Duck05 said above, you are going to find that while the SC300 5-speed is a really enjoyable classic, costs can add up from time to time and you may be wondering what you got yourself into. But then again, it can be a great learning experience if you're willing to follow the TSRM, use some tools (sometimes), and order your driveline parts from a Toyota dealer rather than Lexus.

Don't hesitate to ask us if you have questions. All the things you mentioned that are not working on the car are all fixable, even the interior (which will be a process of going to ebay, CL classifieds, etc. and occasionally a dealer who can source you a cosmetic part or two, but mostly you'll be looking at ebay used cosmetic parts).

Word of warning though: SC300 5-speeds never came with traction control. I don't know if this is your first car or not but be aware that while it's very safe and has ABS brakes, it is a rear wheel drive car and in rainy conditions it can come around on you even at low speed on slick roads if you push it too hard. Rule of thumb is to drive conservatively in the rain with an SC. A good set of summer tires with very good wet traction is essential. Also, be aware that the stock brakes are not all that powerful. You can upgrade them cheaply to something much better but in stock form they aren't that great.

You'll find more out as you learn about the car. Welcome and hope you enjoy the new ride

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-11-14 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-11-14, 08:02 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus! My first SC I was 16 and I'm glad I started out with it. It's so great not having to drive a cavalier around...that was two years ago. Like everyone else mentioned, good taste!

Quick Reply: Just bought my 92 sc300 180k.