SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Low mileage Sc sitting in garage for 4 years. What would you do to it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 09:56 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

radiator is a few hundred I think your mechanic is way off on alot of that stuff.
I would def check or replace the tires if they haven't been done, they do get flatspots if never moved its not the safest thing to drive on really at all.

gear oils I wouldn;t worry about, those last a long time and sitting there doesn't hurt them. its more the rubber stuff. plastic tank on the radiator gets brittle with heat cycles, not from sitting around, it should be fine till it pops some day at 200k+ miles.

recently dealt with a barn find supra that had 60k and had it checked out by dealer and all it needed was an oil change, the timing belt and everything looked fine but did it anyways for good measure (its a turbo you know) due to the age, and it was more or less good to go. not even the hoses looked like they had any wear on them, just some dust.

If its starting and driving the gas is not that bad, I would just dilute the fuel with fresh high octane gas, and then later maybe do the fuel filter but its likely not necessary.

You will be surprised how long you can let a toyota lexus sit and not have everything go wrong on you. now a Mercedes I would make it a point to start that thing every month.
Old 08-08-14, 01:28 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i bought my car it had 90k miles on it and sat in storage for 3 years , like Ali sad a toyota/lexus will be fine when its in storage
my timing belt were changed a few years before storage and looked like new , all i did after buying it is driving it slow and fill up the tank with fresh gas and some additive to clean the fuel system ( yeah right lol don't believe it but what can it hurt )
drove it home and changed all the filters and fluids plugs cables and some sensors just to be sure , the hoses and vacuum line were in great condition
drove it to the lexus dealer to had it inspected
there diagnose was
change brake fluid
coolant
change tyres (dried out)
they washed it and cleaned the interior

so in other words , don't worry about sitting there for 4 years , just use your common sense and check all the hoses vacuum lines and belt , give it a good tune up and drive it like your granny for a few weeks ..really don't drive the hell out of it like you mentioned , drive it and check it and you could have a gem

you have already knowledge about a SC with your other car , i didn't
its not rocket science
Old 08-12-14, 10:42 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sc400NL
when i bought my car it had 90k miles on it and sat in storage for 3 years , like Ali sad a toyota/lexus will be fine when its in storage
my timing belt were changed a few years before storage and looked like new , all i did after buying it is driving it slow and fill up the tank with fresh gas and some additive to clean the fuel system ( yeah right lol don't believe it but what can it hurt )
drove it home and changed all the filters and fluids plugs cables and some sensors just to be sure , the hoses and vacuum line were in great condition
drove it to the lexus dealer to had it inspected
there diagnose was
change brake fluid
coolant
change tyres (dried out)
they washed it and cleaned the interior

so in other words , don't worry about sitting there for 4 years , just use your common sense and check all the hoses vacuum lines and belt , give it a good tune up and drive it like your granny for a few weeks ..really don't drive the hell out of it like you mentioned , drive it and check it and you could have a gem

you have already knowledge about a SC with your other car , i didn't
its not rocket science
I will do just that!!

Thank You,
SG