Hi question about buying an SC 300 Manual 1997

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 04:50 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hi question about buying an SC 300 Manual 1997

I bought the car =)

Last edited by SaintLexus; 12-05-14 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-29-14, 05:38 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

You're paying a $2-3k premium for the rarity of the '97 5-spd (only 120 made, I believe) and lots of needed maintenance being recently done. However, the major question is, why put that much money into repairing a car only to sell it a few months later? That's usually the sign that someone has decided to cut their losses, so you'll want to have it inspected carefully.

If you look up any car of that vintage on KBB and compare Excellent/Good/Fair values, you'll see a surprisingly tight range; usually only a couple hundred dollars between tiers. Basically, you figure any used car is going to need a certain amount of maintenance work in order to achieve a blank slate for the new owner, so you never pay that much for someone else's maintenance work unless they're a close friend and you know they aren't hiding something.
Old 07-29-14, 05:49 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't care, $8k is still steep for a 17 year old car with 160,000 thousand miles! Sure, he spent someone money on it, but it will fall apart slowly. Since you own the ISF, you probably won't like the SC. It's sluggish, heavy, and tempermental. Our forums will help you in a time of need. And believe me, you'll have plenty of them in the future. First your fuel pump relay takes a crap and you have no idea what is going on. Then the MAF dies, IACV is dirty and your idle is low, the an o2 goes south, capacitors start to leak on your ECU causing the car to spit loads of smoke...and on....and on... and on.... it's never ending. If you like not having a car payment but enjoy needing to fix this car every other week to keep it on the road, then this is the car for you. But spending $8,000 cash of your hard earned money on this vehicle which acts like a cheating wife isn't the best investment.
Old 07-29-14, 06:58 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a lot of money for an sc300 with those kind of miles. Even if it's 1/120 I wouldn't pay that much for it.
$4,500 of maintenance might sound like a lot but if that's work done at the dealer it wasn't much that was replaced, I mean the timing belt is expected at that mileage, past that it's just a new clutch, radiator, distributor and probably a few hoses, power steering lines, and maybe the pump replaced. There's a lot more on these cars that can and will break, he probably thinks he can ask $8k just to get his recent investment back, but the truth is you really can't do that when selling these cars. The most I would pay for it would be $5.5k-$6k. That corrosion would also have me worried as well. You'll want to go over it with a fine tooth comb, and even though it's rare, at his sale price he'll probably be sitting on it for a while unless a very special buyer comes by.
Old 07-29-14, 10:44 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Thanks for all your thoughts. First of, I didn't think that this model was rare and the rarity isn't impressing me at all. I'm really happy with the purchase and I'm happy with all the work just to maintain this car. If I were to own this car 3-5 years ago I probably would have spent a lot as well for for maintenance and the normal wear and tear. So getting it for this price doesn't really bother me. I'll be posting some pics if a few.

My next question is, I'd like to get an exhaust or a muffler what would you all recommend? =)

Thanks again!
Old 07-29-14, 11:04 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

That much money will buy a low mile 98+ SC400 with very low miles. SC with a manual is NOT a fast car if you are thinking it is fast because it has a manual. The car was designed from the start to be a quiet cruiser with comfort as the top design focus.

The 98+ SC400 is also a pretty rare car with nearly 300 horsepower (a lot back in the old days). It is also not remotely as fast as even most performance 4 cyl cars these days. But it is an excellent cruiser and at home on the interstate. I doubt they will be collectible any time soon but it's the SC to own if you want the best stock offerings from Toyota.
Old 07-29-14, 11:13 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Lastly... here are some pictures.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/27346354@N08/
It's on my flickr account and you'll see a whole bunch of pics of RC-F and some lexus meets!

Enjoy
Old 07-30-14, 08:37 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice looking car. Pearl white is the best color on the SC. Congratulations on your purchase. If you need help, don't be scared to ask.
Old 07-30-14, 12:52 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the purcahse! I'm glad this car went to someone who will appriciate its rarity. And it looks in much better shape than I thought after you described it!
As for all the maintenance issues mentioned above, I'd say those are all worst case scenario. A lot of guys complain about those types of issues on this forum, but you obviously wont hear from the thousands of people who never have any issues. I'm on my 4th SC (92, 95, and two 99's) and the worst issue I've had on any of them was a dead battery/alternator and a passenger door that wouldnt open (common issue). Its all in how theyre kept.
Finally IF you do happen to have any issue, there's surely a DIY guide to fixing it on the forum somwhere.
Old 07-31-14, 03:45 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintLexus
Thanks for all your thoughts. First of, I didn't think that this model was rare and the rarity isn't impressing me at all. I'm really happy with the purchase and I'm happy with all the work just to maintain this car. If I were to own this car 3-5 years ago I probably would have spent a lot as well for for maintenance and the normal wear and tear. So getting it for this price doesn't really bother me. I'll be posting some pics if a few.

My next question is, I'd like to get an exhaust or a muffler what would you all recommend? =)

Thanks again!
LOL, it's certainly rare but the niche popularity of the 1997 5-speed SC has more to do with the updated bumpers, side molding, tail lights and dash cluster for that year. I just saw your pictures and it looks nice! Have fun with it regardless of whether you keep it stock or do an engine swap down the road. Should be a nice classic alternative to your IS-F.

I highly recommend you do a 95-99 LS400 front brake swap for safety and stopping confidence. For the exhaust, I'm a fan of the M2 dual cat back. Bolts in, very good quality, $250-$300 and a very balanced and throaty sound for the NA engine without being obnoxiously loud.
Old 07-31-14, 04:29 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
LOL, it's certainly rare but the niche popularity of the 1997 5-speed SC has more to do with the updated bumpers, side molding, tail lights and dash cluster for that year. I just saw your pictures and it looks nice! Have fun with it regardless of whether you keep it stock or do an engine swap down the road. Should be a nice classic alternative to your IS-F.

I highly recommend you do a 95-99 LS400 front brake swap for safety and stopping confidence. For the exhaust, I'm a fan of the M2 dual cat back. Bolts in, very good quality, $250-$300 and a very balanced and throaty sound for the NA engine without being obnoxiously loud.
Kahn,
Is that M2 for Supra? Could you please elaborate on that a bit? I may go that way. Just for 300's right?

SG
Old 07-31-14, 10:41 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

SG,

Look at this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...tml?styleid=14

The GS300/400 version is a dual canister style. The SC version is a set of oval mufflers. Yes, it works on the 300 and 400 just the same. Bolts right in.

Independent parts shops stock them but you can also find them on eBay.

Edit/Addition: No, it's not for the Supra. Made specifically for the 1992-2000 SC300 and SC400. The M2 system retains your stock resonator pipes.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-01-14 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-01-14, 10:17 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

So I just want some deep growling sound and to hear that roar. So would you guys simply recommend magnaflow? Just the mufflers or should I have the piping changed as well?

Addendum: and the tips as well?!
My plans: just change the rims, the widest possible, and add mufflers and nothing else, really!

Btw... The rims I have are from the GS 350 2013.

Last edited by SaintLexus; 08-01-14 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 08-01-14, 11:38 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

You're going to have to refine your 'wants' there a little. Those are some pretty broad 'wants' that should instead require some research on your part, then decrease it to a few options..

There are LOTS of exhaust options for the SC. You're just going to want to take look through the Exhaust Thread stickied in the Performance & Maintenance section.
Same with wheels. Rather than just the widest possible, you're much better off learning about offset, width, and size, and how different styles of rim look on an SC. There's a whole Wheel/Tire Fitment thread stickied to the top of this General section.
As well you'll probably want to consider lowering, which is another whole set of researching in itself you'll have to do..

SC owners are very refined car modders. We research every mod and weigh options before pulling the trigger on something (unlike other car modders, say Mustang or Honda owners who just slap on whatever onto their cars - usually to the detriment of the car and its performance). Take some time to explore around this forum. Look at stickied threads at the top of each sections. Use the Advanced Search feature to find threads about something you may be interested in. There's threads for literally everything you can possibly want to do to your car.
Old 08-03-14, 06:46 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 482 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I don't care, $8k is still steep for a 17 year old car with 160,000 thousand miles! Sure, he spent someone money on it, but it will fall apart slowly. Since you own the ISF, you probably won't like the SC. It's sluggish, heavy, and tempermental. Our forums will help you in a time of need. And believe me, you'll have plenty of them in the future. First your fuel pump relay takes a crap and you have no idea what is going on. Then the MAF dies, IACV is dirty and your idle is low, the an o2 goes south, capacitors start to leak on your ECU causing the car to spit loads of smoke...and on....and on... and on.... it's never ending. If you like not having a car payment but enjoy needing to fix this car every other week to keep it on the road, then this is the car for you. But spending $8,000 cash of your hard earned money on this vehicle which acts like a cheating wife isn't the best investment.
I've got a 92 sc400 w over, 250k on it. I haven't had any of those problems infact I haven't had any repairs on mine, except my door hinge broke from opening & closing so many times. I replace my suspension after 200k. thats it! Congratulations - You should feel good 4 having such a rare model. You can dump a lot of weight by exchanging your seats for some buckets. Good Luck you have 1 of the best built cars ever:thumb up:
I've got magna flows on my 400 w 3" pipes I luv the deep top end sound but thats a 400
I got K&N filter in front, both help the air flow & performance
I've had it 4 a long long time

Last edited by Barbary; 08-03-14 at 10:10 PM.