SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

36K mile Sc300 on Craigslist in NY 10.5K

Old 09-09-14, 10:30 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm not saying it's a bad deal, I'm questioning the value of such a low mileage car at such a premium price. Look at scENFORCER's less extreme example. He bought a car with roughly a third the average mileage, so every mile he puts on the car is "depreciating" its low mileage value at basically triple the average rate. In a couple more years, his car will be close enough to average mileage that it will be at market value. It's a characteristic that only adds value as long as you don't use it.

Also, Studiogeek, didn't you do full suspension and exhaust upgrades as part of that $5,500? The 36,000 mile car would then be easily $12,000+ for that comparison to be valid, so on par with your cost and probably still needing some of the routine maintenance that you've already accounted for. And then its value will drop rapidly as the low mileage aspect melts away.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a lower mileage SC, but is it really worth 5-6 times more when mine has compression numbers as good as the day it rolled off the factory floor 20 years ago? Any of these cars are just as likely to last another 20 years, given the build quality. Buying low mileage isn't buying more time.
Old 09-09-14, 10:38 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by t2d2
I'm not saying it's a bad deal, I'm questioning the value of such a low mileage car at such a premium price. Look at scENFORCER's less extreme example. He bought a car with roughly a third the average mileage, so every mile he puts on the car is "depreciating" its low mileage value at basically triple the average rate. In a couple more years, his car will be close enough to average mileage that it will be at market value. It's a characteristic that only adds value as long as you don't use it.

Also, Studiogeek, didn't you do full suspension and exhaust upgrades as part of that $5,500? The 36,000 mile car would then be easily $12,000+ for that comparison to be valid, so on par with your cost and probably still needing some of the routine maintenance that you've already accounted for. And then its value will drop rapidly as the low mileage aspect melts away.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a lower mileage SC, but is it really worth 5-6 times more when mine has compression numbers as good as the day it rolled off the factory floor 20 years ago? Any of these cars are just as likely to last another 20 years, given the build quality. Buying low mileage isn't buying more time.
Valid points........
I would soooooo do it anyway
I'd use your argument to get it for 8K
Old 09-09-14, 01:06 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Now we're talking! At $7-8k, the car merits serious consideration.
Old 09-10-14, 05:13 AM
soarrabun
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone can spend their money as they choose, this forum is here in part for us to advise, and give opinions on topics like this.

If this car were such good deal for 10,000, why is it still for sale?
When you need to sell your car do you want it to take this long?
Like I said before $10,000 is a lot of money, its not like we are talking 5-6k.

A few years ago a friend of mine purchased a 300zx like a 92 model with crazy miles, one owner, garage kept, around 20k miles. for about $10,000.

It drives and looks the same as a car with 125k miles thats been well cared for. I dont want to hear (well thats a nissan! were talking about a lexus sc here man come on! apples and oranges) thats not my point, I have had both . I am huge fan of the sc and anything Toyota.

My point is, if you spend 4-7k on a newer model thats been well cared for. What exactly is the difference? At least you will not be scared to drive it across the street, or leave it at the grocery store for 30 mins.

So my friend with the 300zx put it up for sale last year he said the calls and the offers he got just made him sick. He probably drove that 300zx 10 times, put maybe 100 miles on it. And he is getting offers at half price? People start with their KBB, and book value stuff? Just hilarious.
Old 09-10-14, 10:24 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2

I will say this..
I've had two 99 SC's. One with 170K, and now this one which I bought at 60K. In all honesty the one with 170K was in much better overall condition than the one with 60K. Maintenance on both vehicles was 100% up to date, so not much difference there. But the 60K SC has a less than perfect body or paint (by less than perfect I mean 8/10 rather than the 9.5/10 the 170K SC had). The chrome around the windows is peeling, the seat bolsters are worn, and it has a few rattles in the cabin (near the seat belt, and sunroof area), and a few other small things. None of which was an issue on the 170K SC - go figure.
Old 09-11-14, 07:14 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was talking the other day with some non car people and mentioned how my 18 year old SC has a better interior than a lot of 100K cars built since then. one girl laughed because she's just ignorant of how crappy some cars that people pay a lot of money for actually are. Ever seen a friggin viper from 96? its horrible. Porsche? not as bad but not where lexus was. Bang for the buck luxury = Lexus and I think it still holds true today.

So like I said, it comes down to what you want. If you want a stock SC in great condition, that's a dang good deal, but if you want to build a GTE powered supra with a big trunk that's not the car for you.

I got my car for a good price and then put about 1400 into it fixing things here and there. Next week I get a new whindshield, thats another 200. I'm approaching 8K and I think the car is worth closer to 10K so this primo example is priced pretty well, I think.
Old 09-12-14, 04:53 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

DUDE!
1992 LEXUS SC300 VERY LOW MILEGE 31,803LOADED must see $6,495.00 - $6495 (north shore,long island)

1992 LEXUS SC300 VERY LOW MILEGE ONLY 31,803 MILES VERY GOOD ON GAS M GOOD CONDITION LOADED SUN ROOF,12 CD CHAMGER,HEATED SEATSVERY CLEAN NO ONE SEAT IN THE BACK CARPET AND SEATS LOOKS NEW ....HAS NO PROBLEMS ALL MAINT.DONE EVERTHING N EW DOESN'T NEED ANY THING AND EVERTHING WORKS....
...,NEW BATTERY,ALL FLUIDS COMPLETELY CHANGED;OIL,TRANSMISSION OIL,RADIATOR FLUSH,TRANSFER CASE OIL BASICLY VERY MAINT ...VIN JT8JZ31C4N0005082""""""MILES IS 31,803 """ASKING PRICE IS $6,495.00 """CLEAN TITLECAR*********** NO ACCIDENT************
Attached Thumbnails 36K mile Sc300 on Craigslist in NY 10.5K-00e0e_fa1q2bjo7nx_600x450.jpg   36K mile Sc300 on Craigslist in NY 10.5K-00o0o_e4crmk6tljf_600x450.jpg   36K mile Sc300 on Craigslist in NY 10.5K-00r0r_8hvsppivh0v_600x450.jpg  
Old 09-12-14, 06:28 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

^^ Now THAT is a price that merits a close look and cash-in-hand offer.

With these ultra low mileage cars, I think it's also worth doing the VIN check of your preference, plus dealer service history on the Lexus site, to look for any obvious odometer tampering. I don't know how other states do it, but odometer readings are never updated with DMV here until a car is sold.
Old 09-13-14, 08:43 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I looked it up on My Lexus. The mileage looks correct. It had service at Lexus from 92' to 97' then went 9 years/9000 miles without Lexus service until around 2006/7. It had another rest from Lexus service after that.
Old 09-13-14, 09:03 PM
Soarer79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and saw this car today. It's not a nice car at all. Dents everywhere. Interior isn't nice what so ever. Looks like it has a lot more miles. This car is incomparable to the 94 for 10k. The 94 is like buying a new car where the 92 is like buying a below average old car
Old 09-13-14, 09:10 PM
Soarer79
Driver School Candidate

The truth of the matter is this car for 10k is amazing and runs and drive gorgeous. Some people say why is it still for sale. The real truth is that not many people have the funds and if they do they go out and spend 10k on a used Hyundai. It's funny how many people are so quick to bash this car but if they owned it they would prob be asking more money for it. I don't see anything negative about a well cared for low mileage car. Again this car was maintained and has every service record to it. That maintains it's value right there. Color is a thing of preference in my book. I happen to like the green with the gold lettering.
Old 09-13-14, 09:58 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Soarer79
I went and saw this car today. It's not a nice car at all. Dents everywhere. Interior isn't nice what so ever. Looks like it has a lot more miles. This car is incomparable to the 94 for 10k. The 94 is like buying a new car where the 92 is like buying a below average old car
Wow, that's disappointing. They cleverly avoided the dents in the pics. Looks great in those.

Originally Posted by Soarer79
The truth of the matter is this car for 10k is amazing and runs and drive gorgeous. Some people say why is it still for sale. The real truth is that not many people have the funds and if they do they go out and spend 10k on a used Hyundai. It's funny how many people are so quick to bash this car but if they owned it they would prob be asking more money for it. I don't see anything negative about a well cared for low mileage car. Again this car was maintained and has every service record to it. That maintains it's value right there. Color is a thing of preference in my book. I happen to like the green with the gold lettering.
Also, the buyer has to have 10K cash to spend as you can't get a car loan on a car that old. There are different types of buyers. The people that think it is a bad idea are just not the right buyer for this car. You are obviously. I am as well to a degree. The only reason it's not for me is there are 2 types of Sc I want more. An ultra high power boosted 5 speed Sc300 and a 98, 99, 00 VVTI 5 speed swapped Sc400. This could easily be my 3rd Sc (If I didn't already have 3 LOL).
Old 09-21-14, 08:00 AM
Soarer79
Driver School Candidate

I'm out of luck on my funds for this car. I would love to see it go to a member to cherish. I can't bring myself to buy the gold one even for 5k. It just looks like your average beat up sc in the street. It doesn't fit the mileage.
Old 09-21-14, 08:01 AM
Soarer79
Driver School Candidate

Besides the headlights on the gold car are like fish tanks with some kind of sludge in them.
Old 01-10-16, 09:38 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

I wouldn't blink an eye buying a 20 year old car with 5k miles for the right price, i would not drive it but I'd just keep it in a ac/heated garage and pass it on to a future grandson as a collector.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 36K mile Sc300 on Craigslist in NY 10.5K