SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc competition? Best built, performing, reliable cars 5-8K?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-14, 12:57 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwhite
300zx, 98-02 z28 NSX is out of the budget.
300zx z32 is just notorious. There's one here that runs on 3 cylinders....and that's the only one I know. Except a mint stock vert TT of an old neighbor.

Z28s are nice except on the inside as has been mentioned. Typical American turn of the millenium spaceage curvy interior. Ugh.

NSX out of the budget? Who's afraid of loans and 38h timing belt jobs....? 😉
Old 07-26-14, 12:58 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc
I have only seen 4 8 series bmw in my lifetime!
In person I've seen.....3 or 4 separate ones, and one of them a few times. One I saw mint in Athens, Greece, and it was the only CSi I've seen.
Old 07-26-14, 09:06 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really want an 04 cobra, heard the motor had forged internals
Old 07-27-14, 08:22 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the sn95 Mustangs (94-98) aren't very different from the new edge cars (99-04) from a hardware view. It's the same platform. The new edge cars had better stock heads but I would just leave it up to personal preference on looks to decide since both heads flow like ars anyway. Love the 03-04 Terminator look but the 95 Cobras are badass as well.

I have a special place in my heart for the spunky 4.6. Especially in 03-04 cobra form with the OEM stock Manley rods and whiney Eaton on top. Absolutely nothing sounds as good as a longtubed 4.6 4v. As an LS owner, the sound of those modulars still haunts my dreams. After the new 5.0 was released, Cobras started going into a pricing free fall so buying one soon may be a great idea.
Old 07-27-14, 12:52 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eknine9
I really want an 04 cobra, heard the motor had forged internals
Thatll be my next purchase once I grad school and finish the sc
Old 07-27-14, 03:07 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd love to make my way back to a Mustang. A 67' convertible was my first car.
Old 07-27-14, 08:38 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

There are a few cars I would recommend:

-8 Series BMW
-E36 and E46 BMW 3 Series
-Z32 300ZX
-98+ Camaro SS/Trans Am
-Mustang GT
-98+ LS400
-E39 540i
-Legend coupe
-Turbo IS300
Old 07-28-14, 02:39 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too many to list! But since you said "Last like the SC" that about cuts more than half the competition out. Lol
Old 07-28-14, 11:23 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

There aren't many such cars without chassis flex.

Really just the E36 M3, bugeye WRX (but the 5-speed isn't known to last), and the 98-02 Camaro SS 6-speed as others have stated. I'd include the '99 and '01 Mustang Cobra SVT (non-supercharged and IRS) but they never go for less than about $14k-$16k.
Old 07-29-14, 09:22 AM
M.Rad.
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArkLaTexSC
You have a number of options after removing any one category. Reliability? Lots of things, most notably 3000GT VR-4, 8-series BMW. Price? NSX. Luxury? Early (1999-2001) new edge Cobras. Performance? 2nd gen Acura Legend (about on par with stock SC300s.)

BMW 8 series?!? BMW?!?!? Are you mad?!?!?!?!? While the SC400 was built as a competitor to the 850i/840Ci, it is far superior in the reliability category. I owned an 850i for over nine years and did all kinds of work on it, including rebuilding the engine myself. It is an unreliable, ill-engineered piece of carp. Every time I drove it I was waiting for something else to break or for a new computer related problem to arise.
This pretty much sums up most BMWs, in my opinion. I have had four of them, all top of the line in their day ('85 635CSi, '95 540i, '91 850i, 2000740iS), and I work on all my own machines, so I know how they're built. I can give you an extensive list of poor engineering / reliabilty problems.

As for recommendations, if you love the SC400, put 6,000 into it and drive a near-new, reliable car for 10 more years!!

Regards,
M.R.
Old 07-29-14, 10:26 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by M.Rad.
BMW 8 series?!? BMW?!?!? Are you mad?!?!?!?!? While the SC400 was built as a competitor to the 850i/840Ci, it is far superior in the reliability category. I owned an 850i for over nine years and did all kinds of work on it, including rebuilding the engine myself. It is an unreliable, ill-engineered piece of carp. Every time I drove it I was waiting for something else to break or for a new computer related problem to arise.
This pretty much sums up most BMWs, in my opinion. I have had four of them, all top of the line in their day ('85 635CSi, '95 540i, '91 850i, 2000740iS), and I work on all my own machines, so I know how they're built. I can give you an extensive list of poor engineering / reliabilty problems.

As for recommendations, if you love the SC400, put 6,000 into it and drive a near-new, reliable car for 10 more years!!

Regards,
M.R.
I love the BWW line from a distance. Everyone I have known with one has had more than their share of issues. I will likely keep my 95' 400, sell my 97' 300 and buy a 94' 300 5 speed next week if it checks out mechanically. I need a second car for when my wife drives my 400 occasionally (the 300 is pretty high mileage to put major money into) and I wanted to make sure I thought about all options. I was hoping to hear about the late 90's Mercedes CLK because I've always loved them and it would be nice to drive something else but I need a clutch (and reliability) in my life. It looks like I'll be getting another Sc most likely, boosting it in the near future and putting another 3K or so into each of them..
I am going to forgo the reliability requirement and get a Porsche Cayenne early next year because we will need at least one 4x4/AWD when we move a bit north soon, and we (mostly I) just love them..
Please keep the suggestions coming though, It's a fun topic.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 07-29-14 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-29-14, 10:53 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I love the BWW line from a distance. Everyone I have known with one has had more than their share of issues. I will likely keep my 95' 400, sell my 97' 300 and buy a 94' 300 5 speed next week if it checks out mechanically. I need a second car for when my wife drives my 400 occasionally (the 300 is pretty high mileage to put major money into) and I wanted to make sure I thought about all options. I was hoping to hear about the late 90's Mercedes CLK because I've always loved them and it would be nice to drive something else but I need a clutch (and reliability) in my life. It looks like I'll be getting another Sc most likely, boosting it in the near future and putting another 3K or so into each of them..
I am going to forgo the reliability requirement and get a Porsche Cayenne early next year because we will need at least one 4x4/AWD when we move a bit north soon, and we (mostly I) just love them..
Please keep the suggestions coming though, It's a fun topic.
I have one friend with an 03 CLK320 convertible and another with a turbo 99 CLK320 hardtop. Both have said they're pretty reliable. The guy with the 03 has had his for four years and said it hasn't given him any trouble. They seem like good cars.

The Cayenne is a good car but I hear the early years aren't all that reliable compared to other Porsches. Another friend of mine has an 05 Cayenne Turbo and it seems to run fine though. He's driven it all over the country and just done basic maintenance so far. From the research I've done I would recommend a lower mileage Cayenne with it's maintenance done. Parts can be expensive too.
Old 07-29-14, 10:54 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep my last car was an e39.
I was hoping to spend about 2-3k a year on it tat being a mix of mods and just maintenance.
It turned into 3k a year of just maintenance.

It was a wonderfully rewarding car and exceedingly comfy at all speeds... but, it was a maintenance nightmare. That car went through bushings like I go through doritos, and I pretty much had to replace the whole cooling system, the airbags for the factory air-suspension cracked and were leaking and both had to be replaced, I broke a motor mount crossing an intersection, the adjustors for the projector headlights were built out of sand so the projectors were constantly pointed straight down, The water pump was prone to failure, and leaky VANOS seals were robbign the car of top end power.

But the interior was immaculate and comfy as all hell to drive, especially at night, or when it was hot outside, or when it was cold outside, or when the sun was shining, or on long trips, etc. It got all the way up to 140 mph before the front end started to feel less solid. I was truly impressed with it, and somedays still wish I had it back, but it was totaled, and insurance offered me a lot more than I ever paid for it so I took the money and ran straight here.
Old 07-29-14, 11:32 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
I have one friend with an 03 CLK320 convertible and another with a turbo 99 CLK320 hardtop. Both have said they're pretty reliable. The guy with the 03 has had his for four years and said it hasn't given him any trouble. They seem like good cars.

The Cayenne is a good car but I hear the early years aren't all that reliable compared to other Porsches. Another friend of mine has an 05 Cayenne Turbo and it seems to run fine though. He's driven it all over the country and just done basic maintenance so far. From the research I've done I would recommend a lower mileage Cayenne with it's maintenance done. Parts can be expensive too.
Good to know on the CLK!
The early year Cayennes had some plastic coolant tubes that are hard to get at when they go, and they do go. The later years sorted that out. I'll be going with a mid to later model for sure.

Thanks Kira!!!!!!
Old 07-29-14, 11:35 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eknine9
Yep my last car was an e39.
I was hoping to spend about 2-3k a year on it tat being a mix of mods and just maintenance.
It turned into 3k a year of just maintenance.

It was a wonderfully rewarding car and exceedingly comfy at all speeds... but, it was a maintenance nightmare. That car went through bushings like I go through doritos, and I pretty much had to replace the whole cooling system, the airbags for the factory air-suspension cracked and were leaking and both had to be replaced, I broke a motor mount crossing an intersection, the adjustors for the projector headlights were built out of sand so the projectors were constantly pointed straight down, The water pump was prone to failure, and leaky VANOS seals were robbign the car of top end power.

But the interior was immaculate and comfy as all hell to drive, especially at night, or when it was hot outside, or when it was cold outside, or when the sun was shining, or on long trips, etc. It got all the way up to 140 mph before the front end started to feel less solid. I was truly impressed with it, and somedays still wish I had it back, but it was totaled, and insurance offered me a lot more than I ever paid for it so I took the money and ran straight here.
Thanks EK99,
They were low on the list and you just knocked them fully off.

Thanks for the information....
Doritos..... Sand...... LOL

Quick Reply: Sc competition? Best built, performing, reliable cars 5-8K?