SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Thinking of buying this 1JZ swapped Sc this week.. Opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 04:51 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me I'd swap the 400 with all the parts from the 1j car to have two nice platinums, but honestly, I think two sc's is retarded and a third is rediculously retarded. I know this from experience. I currently have a 300 and a 400, two cressidas and gf has a 300. I'm about to force her out of her sc, and scrap my 400 and most likely the 300 as well after pulling drivetrains. I'm guessing you haven't owned two of them for an extended period of time otherwise you would know that when you acquire these cars in this fashion, they become jealous of each other. Spend more time paying attention to one and the other will surely find a way to make you say hello, whether it be an interior door handle, an flca ball joint, an ecu, etc etc etc.

SCx00 is such a cruel, cruel mistress
Old 07-21-14, 06:14 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Vrank
If it were me I'd swap the 400 with all the parts from the 1j car to have two nice platinums, but honestly, I think two sc's is retarded and a third is rediculously retarded. I know this from experience. I currently have a 300 and a 400, two cressidas and gf has a 300. I'm about to force her out of her sc, and scrap my 400 and most likely the 300 as well after pulling drivetrains. I'm guessing you haven't owned two of them for an extended period of time otherwise you would know that when you acquire these cars in this fashion, they become jealous of each other. Spend more time paying attention to one and the other will surely find a way to make you say hello, whether it be an interior door handle, an flca ball joint, an ecu, etc etc etc.

SCx00 is such a cruel, cruel mistress
Haha,,
Great, useful reply. This situation just happened. I was going to buy the 97' as a parts car but it was TOO clean visually, and my mechanic would not let me part it out without a fight. I drove it for a couple days and really liked it. For one, I miss the stock suspension when just cruising over bumpy roads. The cluster looks like the north star by comparison, the body is perfect (except clear coat) and the 2J humms like its at 1K not 2.4K. I can't rip this thing apart just yet. It needs, 1 window regulator, AC service, speed sensor, cap on the bottom of driver seat to fix to and fro adjustment, and brake pads. That's it. The front end is rock solid at high speed. $300 in parts and it's good for a daily.
The white 1J swapped 300 may not happen as the guy has not called me back in two days. I carried cash to work ready to drive over there to no avail. He does not want to sell and i'm sure is trying to wait out his issues. I may get a last minute call to come get it if he can't pull out. Hey, i want the car but a little part of me is rooting for him as a fellow Sc brother that put part of his soul into the car. I'll be OK either way.
I just now have 5 speed/Boost fever and I need to sort that out. If I get a boosted/5 speed i will sell the 97' or store it and sit on it till one car is down. My wife will drive my 400 or the new 300. I'm old with a perfect driving record (until boost) so insuring it is cheap as hell and my mechanic is holding onto it for me until I need it.
I had no plan to go in this hard, but it just turned out this way.
I will ultimately (hopefully) wind up with the initial 400, and a nice boosted 300 5 speed I hope!

I am also considering buying a 1J/W58 or R154 and swapping into the 97' 300 if that takes shape first.

Here are a few pics of the 300.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of buying this 1JZ swapped Sc this week.. Opinions please!-img_4746.jpg   Thinking of buying this 1JZ swapped Sc this week.. Opinions please!-img_4747.jpg   Thinking of buying this 1JZ swapped Sc this week.. Opinions please!-img_4748.jpg   Thinking of buying this 1JZ swapped Sc this week.. Opinions please!-img_4754.jpg  
Old 07-22-14, 07:56 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah the 300 is really clean, you should totally drive that thing. I'm 27, nowhere near a clean driving record and my full coverage is $84 a month, you'll be fine.. I would love a spare SC to daily and then drive the hotrod whenever I felt the need to drop a Vette or Viper owner down a notch..