SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Once and for all, what is the difference between a Toyota Soarer and Lexus SC300/400?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-03, 08:48 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Once and for all, what is the difference between a Toyota Soarer and Lexus SC300/400?

Once and for all, what is the difference between a Toyota Soarer and Lexus SC300/400?

Both car models are made in Japan by Toyota. The local Japanese model in the right-hand drive is called Soarer and the same car in left-hand drive for export to the USA is called Lexus. (It is said the LEXUS stands for Luxury EXport to USa). Therefore, the simple distiction is the location of steering wheel. There are number of other differences. The Lexus cars have an electronic analogue instrument panel, whilst the Soarers have electronic digital instrumentation. Generally, Soarers are more fully equipped cars: the Lexus never had the option of 2.5 T/T engine (only V8 and 3.0 non-turbo engines), TEMS suspension, EMV screen, not to mention the 4-wheel steering or active suspension. Shortly, features found in Lexus always have their equivalents in Soarers but not the other way round. In their long lives many Soarers exported from Japan as used cars have been fitted with the Lexus badges.

First, does anyone have the 4 wheel steer unit on their car? I wanted to ask how odd it felt compared to the standard 2 wheel steer.

Second, if there is no such thing as a lexus sc300tt from the factory are these 300tt's soarers, or aftermarket?
Old 02-21-03, 09:08 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

onelasttry,

What is the point of your post? Are you asking or telling? I am confused.

MW
Old 02-21-03, 09:18 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

i see a lot of people referencing the lexus 300tt. i was curious if this was the aftermarket setup, or is there a lexus 300tt i dont know about?

according to my reading, there is no such thing.
Old 02-21-03, 09:27 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

You are correct. Pretty obvious thou. Lexus = bought in the US. No US turbo Lexus. Done deal. If someone says they have a SC300TT that usually implies they are driving a SC300 with a Supra MKIV TT swap. If they say 300T, then they have a SC300 NA with Turbo Kit. If they say SC300TT+T-TT probably meant they did the MKIV Swap and then went for the single biggo super duper jet engine swap turbo and killed the twins....

MW
Old 02-21-03, 09:36 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

well, you know the length of time i have been here. to the "reg" it may actually be obvious, but since there are updates, changeovers in the line or import specials, and a number of other things i dare not try and keep up with in the industry i felt the need to ask.

I had pretty much confirmed that there was no such thing as a lexus 300 tt, but confirmation is the key here. Thanks for helping me understand that. I don't race, or do mods to my car, which is a 400, so the whole 300 scene is something i havent even been involved in until i came here a few weeks ago, so i time i will learn about them as i read more.

All i knew when posting this is that i see in that article that no factory lexus 300tt's exist, and that i see them on numerous threads in this forum. Just a bit confused and wanted clarification.

i appreciate the confirmation. that's one fact down and a billion to go

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-21-03 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-21-03, 09:42 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

i'd still like to know about the "feel" of the 4 wheel steer. perhaps someone from the soarer meet will enlighten me.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-21-03 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-21-03, 11:32 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

onelasttry,

There are several FAQ's listed in a stickied post at the top of the forum to answer these very questions. Your 4-ws question is one that would not be addressed in that FAQ. Definitely a good question to ask the UK and Aus members.

MW
Old 02-21-03, 11:40 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

as you know (because you put it there) this came from my link in the sticky. but like i say, due to updates, new regulations in importing, and overall industry change, whether or not that remains true was what i was unaware of.

Since the faq deals with strictly inks, and this in particular was one of them (that came from myself even) i wanted to make sure there were no changes in procedure or policy for the later model lexus sc's.

I am not aware how old that link is or when it was last updated for such interests in that particular question. plus, links have been wrong before on occasion.

i feel the question has done me well. i have established there have been no alterations to the sc lineup of potential 300tt's, learned about all the different tt's as you stated above, and still hope to hear from the guy's with the soarers on that aws system.

mission sucessful.
Old 02-21-03, 12:43 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The JDM "Lexuses" have twin turbo setups. The Soarer 2.5 TT uses the MKIII Supra TT motor. There is also no V8 Aristo, instead the Aristo V300 uses an MKIV Supra TT motor. The United States never received these FI models though, probably soley due to emissions. The other gadgets were probably deleted because the FTC wanted tighter domestic competition. So if you want to call the Soarer 2.5 by it's USDM name, it'd be something like 'SC250TT' (not to be confused with the ES250 ).

Last edited by lex400sc; 02-21-03 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-21-03, 01:12 PM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

i have driven a active suspension Soarer and it's amazing, the car doesn't roll around much. Also, TEMS allows for ride height adjustment too. If you load up the back say with 3 REALLY big people, the car auto levels itself.
Old 02-21-03, 01:22 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Can u get active suspension as a separate component? maybe even the 4wheel steer?

Can u get active suspension and 4 wheel steer and add it on to "left" hand driven US lexus SCs?

If SO...where and how can we get it?
Old 02-21-03, 01:39 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

I have a uzz31 soarer with air/ adjustable susp/ the uzz32 came
with both active/air + 4ws they didn't come seperate.correct me somebody if i am wrong.......baz.
Old 02-21-03, 01:56 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default baz..2 things

Firstly...

I know they didn't come separately...I was just wondering if you could SEPARATE them from a soarer and put em on a US spec SC.

that was my question.

2ndly,

HOw does is drive? the active suspension and 4 wheel steering? How much better is it than a stock SC?
Old 02-21-03, 03:08 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

dimcorner explained the active suspention a few posts up. i still want to hear about how touchy the 4ws is and how it affects the car when driving. i hope someone is around with that experience.

this is great info guys, thanks!
Old 02-21-03, 03:44 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

never been seperated or done by anybody,guys u need to go to some of the australian sites? planet soarer .com /or alsoc / or lsoc
they always do it there first......

Quick Reply: Once and for all, what is the difference between a Toyota Soarer and Lexus SC300/400?