SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Things to check before buying a 92' Sc300 5 speed?

Old 07-05-14, 07:42 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Things to check before buying a 92' Sc300 5 speed?

I have a general idea but has anyone seen any posts outlining how to check out an Sc300 before buying it. Bullet check points and things to look out for etc.

I am looking at one in an hour or two...
Old 07-06-14, 02:17 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

If I had seen this I'd have chimed in. How did it go? Do you still need any specifics for 5-speeds? There aren't many differences from automatic models unless you are trying to verify it's an original manual car.
Old 07-06-14, 07:13 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
If I had seen this I'd have chimed in. How did it go? Do you still need any specifics for 5-speeds? There aren't many differences from automatic models unless you are trying to verify it's an original manual car.
I am holding out for one a bit cleaner. The motor was MINT but there was a bit too much body work and other little stuff to do for me. I also really don't like the teal interior and I would have had to search really hard to find teal parts to replace what was worn. I'd hate searching that hard for interior parts I don't like.
It was hard to walk away from that motor though. The car is still in consideration but I will look around a bit more first.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-14, 08:57 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats a funky interior color but cool in its own way, rare
Old 07-06-14, 04:32 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikef
thats a funky interior color but cool in its own way, rare
That makes it worse because they only made that interior for 1 or 2 years I think. It needs a door panel. It would take ages to find one that color.

I really don't like that interior color at all but if mint, I could have learned to.
Old 07-06-14, 08:47 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Things I would have looked for when buying another SC. I would check every accessory, make sure the PS isn't leaking, make sure the steering felt tight, I'd make sure the car had absolutely zero vibrations at any speed, I'd check under neath for any rust on the subframes, I'd check for any collections of water on the floor boards, I'd make sure the AC works, and I'd make sure the heat works.

Everything else is a piece of cake in these cars. Bleeding AC units and burnt clusters...No problem, swapping bumpers to 97+...easy.

Best of luck with your decisions. Honestly, I've seen the kind of money you've spent on your current SC and I'd just keep it and convert to manual. The SC could be your fun daily beater and then you could buy a really nice weekend car.
Old 07-06-14, 09:55 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Things I would have looked for when buying another SC. I would check every accessory, make sure the PS isn't leaking, make sure the steering felt tight, I'd make sure the car had absolutely zero vibrations at any speed, I'd check under neath for any rust on the subframes, I'd check for any collections of water on the floor boards, I'd make sure the AC works, and I'd make sure the heat works.

Everything else is a piece of cake in these cars. Bleeding AC units and burnt clusters...No problem, swapping bumpers to 97+...easy.

Best of luck with your decisions. Honestly, I've seen the kind of money you've spent on your current SC and I'd just keep it and convert to manual. The SC could be your fun daily beater and then you could buy a really nice weekend car.
Tabaka,
I am surely keeping the other Sc (and converting it to manual eventually). I am looking for the 300 as a second car and to eventually swap in a boosted engine. We are moving to a place where occasionally my wife may want to drive a car while I am not home so I chose another Sc for us. I just love them. Thanks for the tips!! I may have found a nice one in Pa.
Old 07-06-14, 11:19 PM
jorgeL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought mine like a month ago,I uunderstand some things are DIY and normal wear and tare others a can actually help u drop the price dramatically! Before buying.
-FIRST thing is steering rack I got mine and noticed my steering had a little "dead spot" in the middle of my steering so the turn is delayed, a couple weeks later I have a 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock of "dead space" and if the road is uneven, the car follows the cracks to the left or right, it is very dangerous! !
- check for oil leaks I've learned that the sc300 is known for valve cover gasket leaks, and rear main seal leak, and distributor O- ring leak.i have replaced them and seems fine for now.(Crossing fingers)
-A/c blowing cold I'm in California gets kinda warm. When I bought the sc I knew it didn't have refrigerant. But I still got it. But, just something to check for. (Oh climate display is know for going blank) :/
-check if windows roll up and down smoothly bought mine when window was rolled down (hot day) and took it home, guess what cable was snapped.
-driverside door panel heard it was notorious for being loose.
-this is my first time owning a 1993 sc300 so it does need some TLC and some patience, when I got the car it came with an "aftermarket intake mod" and it idled a little above 1k switched back to factory bam! Under 1k where it's nice and quiet. I'm sure people understand the interior wear and tare, paint fade, minor dings. But hope this helps a little
good luck to whoever buys or plans on buying.
This car isn't for unpainted people but when fixed up, it looks awesome you won't see a lot of them fixed up right.!

Last edited by jorgeL; 07-06-14 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-07-14, 02:06 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Try to find a bone stock 92 5spd......It took me a few years to find a really clean...unmolested 5spd....Just happened to be a 92....I was more concerned that the body was in good condition and the interior was in decent shape.....I bought the car to perform GTE swap so mileage wasnt a concern for me

Also in 92 they only made 1601 that were 5spd....

Last edited by CatManD3W; 07-07-14 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-07-14, 02:28 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

visual the control arm bushings to know if they are done or not, go from forward to reverse on the brakes with the wheel turns and you will hear them pop likely if they are done, I always pop the hood and check both front fenders for Original Toyota stickers every SC front fender came with one from the factory. If they do not have them they have been replaced by a non toyota repair shop and then you should check the paint for overspray and extent of damage and quality of repair. Also If one headlight looks cleaner than the other, likely its been hit, and if the fender sticker is missing on that side it was more than just a bumper ding and worth asking if you are still interested in the car. sometimes its just a simple fender replacement, sometimes it involves the control arms and front crossmember, things you dont want to tweak.
the rear is harder to tell if its been repaired well, but you can peek behind the rear trunk carpets if you suspect its been hit or been freshly repainted and look for unclean welds (do note that there are factory welds there) or things that do not look factory, in particular in the back side of the rear quarter panels.
Old 07-13-14, 06:05 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

All great, helpful tips. Thank you guys. I did not buy the car I was going to look at when I posted this but I got another one. It's a 97' Sc300 Platinum on black (same colors as my 400). It has 241K but drives great.
It needs minor stuff that are easy fixes, a window motor, speed sensor, the little cap under the seat that breaks the seat fore-aft adjustment, AC compressor or recharge, tie rods and brakes. I got it for a great price and I will fix/drive it, sell it or part it out. I have not decided yet.
Old 07-13-14, 08:34 AM
ScWift92
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
visual the control arm bushings to know if they are done or not, go from forward to reverse on the brakes with the wheel turns and you will hear them pop likely if they are done, I always pop the hood and check both front fenders for Original Toyota stickers every SC front fender came with one from the factory. If they do not have them they have been replaced by a non toyota repair shop and then you should check the paint for overspray and extent of damage and quality of repair. Also If one headlight looks cleaner than the other, likely its been hit, and if the fender sticker is missing on that side it was more than just a bumper ding and worth asking if you are still interested in the car. sometimes its just a simple fender replacement, sometimes it involves the control arms and front crossmember, things you dont want to tweak.
the rear is harder to tell if its been repaired well, but you can peek behind the rear trunk carpets if you suspect its been hit or been freshly repainted and look for unclean welds (do note that there are factory welds there) or things that do not look factory, in particular in the back side of the rear quarter panels.
I couldn't really tell from my cars appearance at first but I felt my car had been rear ended and boy was it. To check look where the spare tire is
Attached Thumbnails Things to check before buying a 92' Sc300  5 speed?-img_0531.jpg   Things to check before buying a 92' Sc300  5 speed?-img_7616.jpg