SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rough situation with sc300.. help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 06:12 PM
Ineedspeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough situation with sc300.. help...

okay well a few weeks back my compressor went out....work has been slow so cash is very very tight... I kept driving the car to work cuz I had no choice which resulted in the compressor locking up completely and when I started the car to go home after work today it was frozen solid resulting in melting and snapping the V belt...so now my car is sitting in a dark parking lot across town....awesome!

to make matters worse I simply do not have the money or resources to get it towed to a shop or fixed right....
I did find the compressor rebuilt locally for 165 and I have some basic hand tools...so the plan is to go over there with jack stands and remove the old compressor and install the rebuilt unit myself....I wont be able to take the car to a shop for at least a couple weeks so it will just be installed and not used until I can take it to have the system fixed up....but I have to have my car to get to work...

Now I have never done this before so I will be winging it... I have looked at the tutorial here on how to remove the compressor and it seems fairly simple...

the questions I have are: What about the oil? will I need to add oil to the compressor so it does not get ruined while driving it for a few weeks? or is it just the clutch pully that will be spinning?
and when I finally take it to get worked on what else should I replace? the drier can only or anything else?

Any help would be awesome I am in panic mode here cuz I cant get to work now...
Old 07-02-14, 06:18 PM
Ineedspeed
Driver School Candidate

Also I think when the compressor clutch went out it did something else bad cuz right when it happened I got a burnt smell in the cab and the climate control went blank.... is it possible that it got so hot it melted the wires in the clutch and resulted in a short? I couldnt find any fuses blown and the wire harness coming of the compressor looks okay at a glance...
Old 07-02-14, 06:50 PM
Ineedspeed
Driver School Candidate

In hindsight I also need to figure out what belt I need.... when I got the car 4 years ago I had an ATI super damper installed and now I have no clue what belt I needed with it... anybody have that belt number?
Old 07-02-14, 07:41 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Usually rebuilt compressors have some oil inside of them already. The compressor pulley will be the only thing spinning so your compressor will be fine until you can have it refilled. For the belt you should be able to find the part number by searching on supraforums. I hope you get it back on the road asap i know how it feels.
Old 07-02-14, 11:07 PM
Ineedspeed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
Usually rebuilt compressors have some oil inside of them already. The compressor pulley will be the only thing spinning so your compressor will be fine until you can have it refilled. For the belt you should be able to find the part number by searching on supraforums. I hope you get it back on the road asap i know how it feels.
Alright thanks for the tip.
Old 07-02-14, 11:44 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Towing back to your house shouldn't be too bad. Your insurance might even cover it if you have that part of your plan