SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What are your worst experiences with previous owners of cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 12:53 PM
Nexevious
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your worst experiences with previous owners of cars?

2 days ago I fixed my lighter in the car. It worked, then after that, it stopped. Today I checked back, still wouldn't work then noticed how my AC then stopped working. So I checked the fuse. #10 was busted and replaced it. It turned out, the previous owner put 20A instead of 15A. It just bugged me how he would do this... He also bought $35 tires used and put those on. We also kept amazing maintence of the engine to make it run smooth and clean. Replaced the distributor, air filter, alternator, sparkplugs, etc. Still need to replace the fuel filter, but for another day. What about you?
Old 06-08-14, 02:27 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not much .... but problems can be expected when you buy a used vehicle especially cars as old as ours. Its always a good idea to check/test/inspect everything before you buy. Once you buy a vehicle as-is its all on you.
Old 06-08-14, 02:35 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

or after you buy , i had the same with wrong fuses but i checked and checked my car over and over again , i do have a maintenance record but want to be safe so changed all the fluids plugs filters and cables
Old 06-08-14, 03:36 PM
Keiffith
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought a 92 chevy beretta 5 speed with only 170k on it but it burned a bit of oil. a month later, the oil pump went and seized the motor.

luckily i had my 93 beretta that had good parts as well as a solid running motor with 270k on it. swaped the motor as well as all the goodies and now i have a car that isnt rusted out thats almost identical to the $175 beretta i drove in highschool.

the lexus was near perfect, but i didnt inspect the headlights before i bought it from the dealer.
drove it at night the first time to find out the PO had installed a good HID kit, but didnt know the factory projectors where wrong, so he just JB welded the bulbs in. unfortunately, thaty doesnt work, as all the light was going out the side and not onto the road. all i needed was a proper projector so i retrofited one in and now have amazing headlights.
Old 06-08-14, 04:34 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I Bought my SC pretty much off the original owner ( He traded it in and i bought it right after) and i've had no major issues just nagging previous owner old man issues. The major services werent done (Timing belt, water pump, plugs etc) The fluids were never changed in the W58 or the Diff, The whole motor leaked oil from almost every place possible valve covers, front seals, distributor etc. Thats all been fixed now but my second gear shifts are notchy until the trans warms up. Surprisingly even with the oil leaks, my motor was pretty spotless.
Old 06-09-14, 10:59 AM
mulcryant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i once saw a car that had a piece of plastic with gorilla glue underneath to hide a piece of the frame that was bent so it wouldn't show. Needless to say we walked away from that car