SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My poor SC :c

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-14, 03:33 AM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My poor SC :c

Hey guys, yesterday, an elderly lady cut me off in my lane and I smashed into her with my SC. Everyone is fine except our cars of course...her Mercedes took the brunt of the impact and my SC got a damaged fender, passenger headlight, and (what looks to be the worst of the damage on my car) a bent LCA or UCA on my passenger side front wheel.

Question is I'm not sure what is damaged exactly and I know this thread is worthless without pictures so I will get pictures by this weekend, but my passenger side wheel is turned all the way to the right whilst my driver side remains straight. I can turn the steering wheel and both wheels turn smoothly but the passenger side won't line up for obvious reasons.

Am I looking at a bent LCA? Upper control arm? Both? And is this something that I could repair on my own then take to an alignment shop to get aligned?
Old 06-07-14, 04:22 AM
Keiffith
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you get a chance, ensure that your radiator core support is not damaged. if it is, your looking at more than just a minor fix that involves more than just bolting on new parts.

likely one or both of your control arms is bent, which is no biggy to replace.

considering the age of your SC, it will likely get totaled out.
Old 06-07-14, 11:08 AM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

Yeah Ill have pics of the damage uploaded when I go see the car. That will explain the damage more clearly
Old 06-07-14, 06:14 PM
whtricsc40
Driver School Candidate

most likely your inner and outer tie rod ends are also bent those are cheap and pretty easy to do if you have done basic mechanical repairs before. You could do the uca and lca yourself also but is harder than tierods and also requires special tools most people dont own
Old 06-07-14, 07:28 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whtricsc40
most likely your inner and outer tie rod ends are also bent those are cheap and pretty easy to do if you have done basic mechanical repairs before. You could do the uca and lca yourself also but is harder than tierods and also requires special tools most people dont own
Like what, a 17/19 wrench, a big hammer and a ball joint fork? $100 of tools to get these CA's out.
Old 06-08-14, 03:51 AM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

Here are some pics of when I went to visit my car today. I'm beginning to think it is the tie rod end and not the CA's. Also, the pictures make the damage look way worse then it actually is...in fact, looking at them now, the car looks totaled in these pictures lol.

Headlight support is bent so I'm picking up a new support, passenger fender is obviously going to be replaced. The radiator core support, luckily, came out relatively unscathed with the only damage being a tiny bend pictured below which I dont think should effect anything.

So do you see how my wheel is cocked all the way to the left? I'm guessing the culprits are pictured below.

Any ideas?