SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New toy, upgrade advice etc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-14, 04:49 PM
RyanE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New toy, upgrade advice etc?

So, I just acquired a relatively sorry 1995 SC300. Overall the condition is not bad, but I can't help but wonder sometimes what on earth people do to their cars between dings, scratches, broken parts and interiors that look like the car was driven by freddy kruger... But the important part is that it is solid and I can rework about everything there.
I have already repaired the steering column and the dash lights (except for those wretched needles!)
Which brings me to my point. What is worth doing, and what is not?
  • First off... the needles. Is there a better alternative than just replacing the cans? The dark needles are hard to see, yes, but...
  • Second, I need to rebuild the power steering pump as it's old and tired and making hideous noises. At the same time I am going to change the timing belt. Are pulleys worth it? I have scoured the forums here and on Supra sites and have read mixed things. I don't wish to underdrive, but lighter pulleys all around? lighter accessory pulleys only and skip the crank due to the balancer?
  • Adjustable cam gears? I have built many a VW motor with adjustable gears that have made a big difference, but I have read mixed things regarding the 2JZ
  • Ignition upgrade. I have seen people play with MSD setups, but I have also heard people say the stock ignition setup is actually quite good on the 2JZ. Is there a good upgrade if I just wish to tune up the stock system?
  • Header? hmmmm
  • intake? Is there a reasonably good one out there? I expected to see intakes out the wazu for the 2JZ but was shocked to find a very limited selection. Is there really not much to gain from a cold-air intake on our engines?
  • Any other upgrades worth looking at while I am elbows-deep in the engine? Cosmetically I have much to do, but before I paint I like to do my engine work in case I drop parts or have to struggle over the fenders :-)

Thanks for the advice, guys! I look forward to getting this old lady tuned up and out spanking unsuspecting victims this summer!

Last edited by RyanE; 05-09-14 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-09-14, 05:54 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone posted a DIY on how to rebuild an LS power steering, which is the exact same as an SC. Or it may even have been an SC rebuild, I cant remember. I'll try finding the link for you, but I think it may have been on Lextreme or SoarerCentral.
Take a look through the DYI Stickey, it has a ton of link to pages that go over how to fix some of the issues you've mentioned. And many more of the cosmetic issues I'm sure you're having.
Old 05-09-14, 06:14 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Someone posted a DIY on how to rebuild an LS power steering, which is the exact same as an SC. Or it may even have been an SC rebuild, I cant remember. I'll try finding the link for you, but I think it may have been on Lextreme or SoarerCentral.
Take a look through the DYI Stickey, it has a ton of link to pages that go over how to fix some of the issues you've mentioned. And many more of the cosmetic issues I'm sure you're having.
HERE is the PS pump rebuild link.

Don't forget to do the water pump and seals with the timing belt. Check your high pressure PS hose as well.
Tannin Auto will take care of all cluster issues and has a trail of happy customers so far. LEXTECH is another but has fallen from favor however I root for all Sc related vendors to get it together and stay afloat.

The only intake mod I have seen that actually does more than sounds great is the BFI. ScotURnot has a great DIY on that link. My Injen sounds GREAT but may actually eat power.

I'm no mechanic so take my suggestions with a grain of salt but, as a person that has dumped THOUSANDS into this model, I would suggest as much standard maintenance as you can afford before jumping in on upgrades. Its not a good look to spend unnecessary money then have critical system elements fail after your loot is slimmed out. Hit the basics first then move on to upgrades is my humble advice.

Good luck and welcome to Club Lexus!

PS: Just noticed you have a 300, I have a 400. Take note as some things I said may not apply. Other more knowledgable people will chime in.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-09-14 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-10-14, 11:25 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Welcome to CL and the "disease" we call the Lexus SC....

I am not a DIYer and admire those that have the time, skills, and drive to get these cars to car show status.... But, I do have the money to hire others (and sometimes have been taken by less than honest shops) and knew what I was getting into.....

Luckily this forum has loads and loads of information (most of it great) and seeing all of the various fixes, improvements, and out right cool things people have done with these cars is inspiring. The best thing as I see it is being able to select what look you want and essentially ending up with a tailored-to-you car.

Having said that, though, these cars take a lot of TLC and my vehicle has a long list of repairs and upgrades all of which has been challenging but fun at the same time. I have enjoyed the past 3 years or so reading all of the threads, getting ideas, exchanging information, and now meeting other CL members at events to see other cars in person.... Great people on here all of which have a common goal for our cars....

Good luck with your project. Take and post a lot of pictures to share your progress......
Old 05-10-14, 03:28 PM
RyanE
Driver School Candidate

I have noticed that for a Japanese car these ladies are more finicky than average. Good, bad or indifferent, I guess it's a matter of opinion. Gives me something to tinker with anyway :-)
Old 05-10-14, 04:08 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

First, as previously stated: do maintenance. Make sure everything is running right. Then, I would say don't waist your time on small upgrades. If power is what you are looking for, save up for a turbo kit. The 2jz is rock solid and anything that will fit a supra (cassis or powertrain) will swap over to the sc300. If there was much room to make power n/a it might be worthwile but there really isn't. If you need info on turboing there are hundreds of threads on the subject. Just look up Na-t. Good luck, and post pictures. No matter how rough she is everyone loves to see pics of your car.
Old 05-12-14, 06:21 AM
RyanE
Driver School Candidate

that is a good point and something I have been seriously considering, believe me. :-)
Old 05-12-14, 10:01 AM
RyanE
Driver School Candidate

something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-T70-Turbo-Kit-For-Lexus-SC300-2JZGE-2JZ-GE-Manifold-Intercooler-Black-/181199306036?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3051fd34&vxp=mtr would be fun :-)