Mechanic pressed trunk lock out. Don't have key

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-14, 03:31 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Mechanic pressed trunk lock out. Don't have key

Hi,
A mechanic pressed in my trunk lock out accidentally and I don't have a key for it. How can I unlock this panel. I know you can somehow jump it with a wire because I got the car like that. I don't want to go back to having wires hanging. How can I unlock this panel?
Old 05-01-14, 04:22 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a release at the back. Remove the panel and it should be obvious
Old 05-01-14, 04:30 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by czar07
There is a release at the back. Remove the panel and it should be obvious
AWESOME!
Thank You Czar07 !!!!

I found the release on my spare panel I had in the house!

That brings up another question.

The spare panel i had in the house came with the car and is black like the rest of my interior. I took it out because the trunk release did not work. The switch is somehow faulty. The one installed in the car is tan and works. I also have a new cylinder that came with my full set of locks and cylinders for the car. Does anyone know how to disassemble this thing to switch out the trunk switch and the cylinder?
I see where it looks like it comes apart, but it's not budging and i don't want to break it. I'd like to at least verify that the switch for the trunk can be removed from the rear and learn how to remove the cylinder.

Thank You

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-01-14 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-02-14, 12:06 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

I have done it before. It was very straight forward. Probably something basic you are missing.
Old 05-02-14, 12:48 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by czar07
I have done it before. It was very straight forward. Probably something basic you are missing.
I figured as much. I will keep trying.
Old 05-02-14, 07:15 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If your locked out of the trunk, go ahead and plug the trunk release button in, and jumper it. If it isnt working you may also be able to unlock it by removing the cylinder around the edge and pressing a black button.
Old 05-02-14, 07:51 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

is there a manual release? can someone describe or take a picture of how to access it? because when my battery is unhooked id like to get in my trunk. my lock for some reason doesn't work with my key, need to figure that one out..
Old 05-02-14, 01:43 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

are you talking about the key cylinder that pushes in next to the fuel tank door switch?

If so, you need to pop it back out from valet mode to regular mode allowing you to use the switch again..

to do this you remove the four or so screws (cant remember how many) on the lower pannel of the dash just above where your feet rest.. there is i believe one more hidden screws, on on the left side lower section of the dash above the switches for fuel door and trunk. that pannel just pulls away easily and you will see the screw.. once you have the covers off and the lock cylinder hanging there you will see a small is a tab at the back of the cylinder that if pushed will release the cylinder out of valet mode and return it to regular mode.. (the lock cylinder will pop back out)

i know this because i had a similar situation except my trunk struts failed while my keys were sitting in there and closed them in and i didnt have a master key at the time to unlock it..

Last edited by Aswilley; 05-02-14 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-02-14, 04:32 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Aswilley
are you talking about the key cylinder that pushes in next to the fuel tank door switch?

If so, you need to pop it back out from valet mode to regular mode allowing you to use the switch again..

to do this you remove the four or so screws (cant remember how many) on the lower pannel of the dash just above where your feet rest.. there is i believe one more hidden screws, on on the left side lower section of the dash above the switches for fuel door and trunk. that pannel just pulls away easily and you will see the screw.. once you have the covers off and the lock cylinder hanging there you will see a small is a tab at the back of the cylinder that if pushed will release the cylinder out of valet mode and return it to regular mode.. (the lock cylinder will pop back out)

i know this because i had a similar situation except my trunk struts failed while my keys were sitting in there and closed them in and i didnt have a master key at the time to unlock it..
estomax in addition, the housing is white and the little switch is black. You can push it in with a small screwdriver or maybe even your thumbnail. I have a spare panel in the car, if you have not found it by tomorrow, I will take a picture of the tab.

I don't know how to get the panel off, so if you get it done, please take pictures of how you got the panel off and the screw locations.