SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1997 SC400 vs 1998 SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-03, 02:07 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 96 and 97 have the same engine spec.
Old 02-12-03, 02:23 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Default 98SC4 vs. 99SC4

Maybe this is a bit off the subject, and I had read about the production history on www.jkwebdesign.co.uk/lexusclub and my question is DOES THE 99 YEAR MODEL COME WITH SIDE AIR BAGS? OR NONE OF THESE SC4s CAME WITH SIDE AIRBAGS EVEN 2000 YEAR MODEL?
Old 02-12-03, 02:25 PM
MartelJF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

> I think 96 and 97 have the same engine spec.

Maybe. I pulled my numbers from edmunds.com, so if they're wrong you can email them

Based on all the feedback, it sounds like the 1998+ is the way to go for a variety of reasons. The problem is finding one.

Most for sale are 1997- or 1999+, and the 1999+ are officially out of my price range.

At any rate, it sounds like the Torque converter is a must, if it's properly installed, and the Limited Slip Diff. Jury is out on the intake, computer, exhaust, and forced induction.

Well I'm glad that was straightforward and simple
Old 02-12-03, 02:30 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

sounds like u should get a 1998+
if price is an issue, i suggest you wait a bit for the prices to come down.
Remember, you are getting a healthy V8 that's found in the GS4 =)

Mods are great to play with and all, but it really gets old after a while and not a lot of gain for the most part

sc3 5spd is the way to go (lighter, more tunable, more mods) and sometimes cheaper if u can find the right deal. just look at how much Supra's go for these days.... SC3 is the sleeper in the same mold and potential but w/ more luxury and ALOT cheaper than a supra for what it's worth.

Last edited by Legends6spd; 02-12-03 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-12-03, 02:37 PM
MartelJF
Rookie

> sc3 5spd is the way to go (lighter, more tunable, more mods) and sometimes cheaper if u can find the right deal. just look at how much Supra's go for these days.... SC3 is the sleeper in the same mold and potential but w/ more luxury and ALOT cheaper than a supra for what it's worth.

Yea, but pretty hard to find. Even harder when you live in the middle of the country - and forget about being able to test drive or inspect one.
Old 02-13-03, 07:32 PM
MartelJF
Rookie

Default Price advice = nice... SC400

Okay folks, I think I might've found a winner. I need some pricing feedback from the pros first:

1997 SC400
~50k miles
Nakamichi, sunroof, spoiler, traction control

I've found prices from, $18000-$25000, depending on who you ask (nada, kbb, edmunds).

Anyone made a purchase of a remotely comparable vehicle, and able to give what price you paid? I was thinking of offering somewhere around 20, but I'm the generous type.

What ya got? Thanks!

(NOTE: The significant upgrade of the SC400's systems from 1997 to 1998 makes me wonder if I can shave off a few more thousand - problem is, that value assessment doesn't make sense to most people)
Old 02-13-03, 08:16 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

How much is the asking price?
Old 02-13-03, 08:38 PM
MartelJF
Rookie

Too high for me, about 23.9. I was riffing with him on price, and he seemed all right with 21 when I passed over it. I'd rather pay less than more, though
Old 02-14-03, 04:15 PM
MartelJF
Rookie

Default So maybe it'll be an SC300 after all... Insurance!

So I'm running a few cars through the State Farm Auto quoter, using the exact same information to see how cars relate to one another insurance-wise. Here's the list from most expensive per 6 months to least expensive:

1997 Lexus SC400 (nearly $1000/6mos)
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
1997 BMW M3 Sedan
1995 Lexus SC300 (about $875/6mos.)

Surprised me I suppose. Pay more on a used SC400 than I do on my Rex now? No thanks.

Back to searching for 300s.
Old 02-14-03, 09:10 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Default Re: So maybe it'll be an SC300 after all... Insurance!

Originally posted by MartelJF

Back to searching for 300s.
Which is the right thing to do, but stick with the idea of gettting 98+, the difference in driveability is night and day, and a 2JZ VVT-i sgl turbo runs awesome, Toyomoto built a Quicksilver '98 VVT-i NA-T Poopra that ran into the nines, street car. Upgrade potential on the 4.0 is limited, believe me I tried. lex400sc ba humbug .....
Old 02-14-03, 09:22 PM
MartelJF
Rookie

But, and this is stating the obvious, 98+ SC300s are automatics. I would think that that fact alone would make the earlier manual choices smarter for tuning and mod potential.

I think it's been categorically agreed upon that trying to make an automatic into a manual is a pipe dream.
Old 02-14-03, 10:11 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Actually it's not a pipe dream. It just costs money. And there is a certain auto around here running 850+ horsies. And 5 speeds are not hard to find either. You have to look and be willing to go get them. I've had two in a short time frame.

As far as tuning and "mod" potential, auto/5spd - it's really more of personal preference than anything else. You have too many blinders on. Pick a model, then a generation, then look for it. Wait and be creative. You're car will appear. It will probably 300 to 900 miles away from you. You will have to be willing to travel and drive it and kick the tires and haggle. Otherwise, go down the street and pick up something with more mass appeal.

Good luck.
Old 02-14-03, 10:22 PM
Stevenem
Rookie

Default Re: Re: So maybe it'll be an SC300 after all... Insurance!

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Upgrade potential on the 4.0 is limited, believe me I tried. lex400sc ba humbug .....
The 1uzfe is quite capable, the issues are with its installation in the SC. Twin turbo them and you will be rocking, V8 bottom end with turbo top end...yum.

290 horsepower is plenty fast for a street car. If you want something to race. Get a neon ACR, a Club Miata, or comperable racing car. Heck, for the price it would take to make my SC4 track worthy, I can buy an old miata good to go. Add a turbo to the miata (very easy to do) and the SC4 will rip itself apart trying to keep up on the track, plus the miata is much cheaper to run. Don't believe me?

I have a 1998 SC4. To be track ready I would need the following:
Strut braces
Upgraded brakes+lines
New tires
Rear Sway bar??
Coilovers??
Even then it is a brute.

Power mods are nice and all, but the SC chassis isn't nearly as rigid as the miata/mr2s skateboards. Plus there is very little data on how to dial in an SC for track usage, so I'm going to be spending days adjusting tire pressures and suspension settings and air pressures. This of course assumes the SC's cooling and oil systems are up to the task.

If you don't want to track the car, well then whatever you build, you will get your butt handed to you. Someone can spend 5 grand on a trans am/grand national and still blow the doors off of you.

With all of the above in mind, you need to decide "what is my car going to be?". For me it is a car that I get 27 mpg if I drive like everyone else, yet I still have the 290 horsepower / v8 torque when I drive like me . I have the Lexus quality interior, that is quiet when driving, and comfortable seats. I have effortless steering on a car that is still fairly capable.
Old 02-14-03, 11:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I could be proven wrong on this, but i have been told by persons very high up on the lexus food chain that intake mods are a waste of money and the only real mod (short of going in the engine) that makes a difference is the exaust.
Old 02-14-03, 11:39 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

onelasttry,

I have heard the same. I was a believer in the intake but some of the Aus Sites proved it not true.

MW

Quick Reply: 1997 SC400 vs 1998 SC400?