SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

a warning to all sc300 owners!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 05:41 AM
sc300vb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy a warning to all sc300 owners!!!

saturday, i decided to "lightly" spray off my engine compartment to get the salt and road grime outta there, and i was fairly careful not to spray any major elctronic or electric pieces of the motor or compartment. after i was done i started the car drove it into my garage for the night. when i got up the next morning for work, my car started kinda "funny", then it drove like a piece of ****, it buc'ed, sputtered, wouldnt hold an idle, the car shook like it was running on one cylinder. i got to work and figured i got some water in the distributor (no big deal) it'll dry by lunch time now that the motor was warm. came out at lunch and it ran worse! took it home pulled all the electrical connectors of to look for the water infiltration none, pull of the cap, no water!!!!!!

pulled out the spark plugs, and dumped water out of them!!! im no idiot, i was careful with the water, i didnt use a high pressure spray, i delicately sprayed off the motor!

so let this be a warning, NEVER EVER EVER spray water on your LEXUS motor...
Old 02-04-03, 07:08 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same thing happen on a 93 gs300 as well.
Old 02-04-03, 07:19 AM
sc300vb
Rookie

what did u do to cure the way it ran? i pulled the plugs out and am letting the cyliners dry out today, then i plan on putting the plugs back in and starting it up tonite, hoping it is cured.
Old 02-04-03, 07:38 AM
Playdo45
Driver School Candidate

That should solve the problem , i did that once to my celica and all i had to do to fix it was dry off the spark plugs and wires and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Problem was gone...that was after driving around all day making poopie in my pants thinking i had destroyed the motor.
Good luck

edit-language

Last edited by Daddy-O; 02-04-03 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-04-03, 07:50 AM
sc300vb
Rookie

thanks brudda! i have been sweatin' this for 2 days now! hopefully your right. thanks for the advice....
Old 02-04-03, 08:41 AM
civicminded
Driver School Candidate

I did that to my honda a couple times. I didnt pull the plugs though because I didnt want to risk getting any water in the cylinders. I used an air compressor to blow out the water and then to dry everything.
Old 02-04-03, 08:42 AM
sc300vb
Rookie

you'd think they'd make the damn things alittle more water tight!
Old 02-04-03, 09:12 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Let it air out, or try to connect a straw to a vacuum and suck out the water.
Old 02-04-03, 10:01 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

so what should we use to clean the engines?
Old 02-04-03, 10:02 AM
sc300vb
Rookie

i am NEVER using anything again!!!!

maybe a rag and some cleaner.
Old 02-04-03, 11:15 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

get it profesionally steam cleaned!! i did- no problem whatsoever.....(under the hood... spotless!!!!)
Old 02-04-03, 11:52 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i didn't know people ACTUALLY used sprayed water to clean engines LOL... you're asking for it if you do this

get it steamcleaned or get some engine degreaser and a rag man... don't use spray water
Old 02-04-03, 11:59 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
get it profesionally steam cleaned!! i did- no problem whatsoever.....(under the hood... spotless!!!!)
What type of place steam cleans engines and how much does it cost? I don't really trust the water at car washers.

Originally posted by Bean
i didn't know people ACTUALLY used sprayed water to clean engines LOL... you're asking for it if you do this

get it steamcleaned or get some engine degreaser and a rag man... don't use spray water
I covered up a lot of my engine (including the manifold and every inlet to the engine) , used degreaser, and used water to clean my engine and there hasn't been a problem yet...(knock on wood).

Try this:
http://www.carcareonline.com/pdf_doc...e_cleaning.pdf
Old 02-04-03, 03:36 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just leave the engine running... Be very careful with the amount of spray, you don't want to shock cool any metals or soak the electrical stuff. Use a long handle brush with with some soap on it, control the amount of water, then drive the car for at least a half hour to make sure there is no water settling in any of the engine electrical stuff. Also, I wouldn't wash the engine bay unless its warm and sunny- otherwise the stuff that is wet may stay that way for awhile.
Old 02-04-03, 05:19 PM
lawman
Driver

Default same with my sc300

Couple of months ago cleaned out my engine and engine bay with a little simple green, brush and tooth brush tried to bag up the electric stuff. Washed on a Sat. finished started up the engine no prob Did not drive on sat or sunday. Going to work on Monday I noticed, exactly what you said, like a spark plug or two was out - seemed like it was missing when I punched it. Thought it was my imagination. Back home that night same thing - damn. I thought my plugs were bad. Drove home that night and all good. I guess it took a couple days to dry up and I was pretty careful as well. Hope yours drys up as well.

Quick Reply: a warning to all sc300 owners!!!