SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

For those of you who dealt with Lextech, I have a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 11:41 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes, there is someone else. Us.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 02-18-14, 01:52 PM
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mailed off my ecu on the 1st of feb and asked about on the 17th of feb. No answer..... Ill keep this updated as i hear from them or get my ecu back. Wish me luck. Sounds like Ill need it.
Old 02-18-14, 02:37 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I still wonder to this day, why they will not answer any emails. It seems to me it would be just bad business, but my luck has always been with them. When I send something off, I have never been in a real rush to get it back. Plus, I have always had another car to drive, so I didn't worry about it.
Old 02-18-14, 03:06 PM
GIMJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. Be patient, Lextech is a fantastic resource that provides amazing customer service. The item will be fixed and last a lifetime.
I really hope so...

Originally Posted by Bankswood
Ha! Nice try Tabaka. GIMJ sorry you didn't read the multiple post by Lextech customers. You have sent your units into a "black hole". You will here from Lextech when they feel like it or have nothing better to do. You will eventually receive your units back with no warning and absolutely no explanation. Don't expect the climate control lights to last very long. I sent mine back for warranty repair and the new lights lasted less than 60 days.
In all honesty, it does suck driving around without the ability to control the climate lol. But I'm more worried about the lack of communication as opposed to the horrible timeliness of the services... I mean, if they kept in contact step by step, I'd be a completely happy customer, even if it took them a month to fix it.

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
There is another thread discussing this further. There have been many customers in the past year or so, that have been very, very unhappy with them. Everyone's opinion will vary with how busy they are, problems with each unit, and requesting an update. It has even been said that packages have been left in their trunks and forgotten about to be mailed out. I, on the other hand, have had all three great experiences with them. Needle repair, climate LCD soldered in, and so on. I am sorry there is ANOTHER Lextech customer very unhappy.
I am actually pretty happy w/ Lextech lol. In a lot of cases, I understand that lights tend to go bad time to time. With Lextech offering such an impressive warranty, I just wish that their customer service was as impressive.

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Sorry to hear about your problems.

We offer same to next day repair and you will usually have your stuff back within the same week. Contact us for details on pricing, etc.
Unfortunately, I already sent my unit out... I'm hoping that my problems will be fixed w/ Lextech, but if my needles or lights start going out again, I'm definitely going to you guys.

Originally Posted by Vwpride12
Bummer man, hope it all works out. I had a bad experience too.
Originally Posted by bigwhite
Feel your pain , mine still dont work right.
I feel like there should be a support group to ease the pains of lextech customers lol

Originally Posted by 1980
I mailed off my ecu on the 1st of feb and asked about on the 17th of feb. No answer..... Ill keep this updated as i hear from them or get my ecu back. Wish me luck. Sounds like Ill need it.
I do wish you luck... I just hope they get in contact w/ us.

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I still wonder to this day, why they will not answer any emails. It seems to me it would be just bad business, but my luck has always been with them. When I send something off, I have never been in a real rush to get it back. Plus, I have always had another car to drive, so I didn't worry about it.
Unfortunately, my SC is my sole daily driver.. I hope I have the same luck that you have!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to wait out this week then... Email them again? I don't know what other options I have, other than going to BBB, going small claims, and at the very end... filing grand larceny charges due to the cost of the two units being over $400.

I'm just hoping for this whole ordeal to be done and over with. I thank everyone here, and I'll update you guys on the progress as well as the warranty fix.
Old 02-18-14, 03:08 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

1J, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. They've been awesome to SC owners in the past, and they took care of my cluster years ago (that sounded vaguely naughty, I think).

I did have a thought, though, completely unrelated but on topic. You know those cool new Mercedes night vision instrument clusters... Who's going to take up that gauntlet when they start going sideways? Cause you know they will, and we'll be talking house down payment money to fix them...

Because they are German... Built to last, and generate revenue forever. Wait, that's not quite right.
Old 02-18-14, 03:50 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh yeah I understand that. They have always been very helpful and I have always been proud of their work, especially their warranty. I have sent back three needles, and had them back in less than two to three weeks. I also wanted to share another experience. I sent them a wrong year of needles to have them changed to blue. I believe they were 95, and they redid them for me to the original red. They looked great. Plus they didn't charge me anything for the service. After this, they replaced a LCD screen for me in my climate control. Turned out great. I did use the TaninAuto one. So far looks like new and have had great success.

Keep in mind that all of you who keep the brightness all the up, this has a tendency to make the needles not last as long, so the research I have read. Again I have never emailed them, to my knowledge, asking about the status. I always had another vehicle to drive.
Old 02-18-14, 08:12 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

With the brightness to full kill, it should still take years for them to go out. Unfortunately, these are cheap, overseas, eBay, bulk crap led strips and bulbs.

They need to update their turn around to 6 months and start using better communication, otherwise this vendor needs to be removed. I hear nothing but complaints, if this were eBay, Amazon or even a store front they would have been shut down months ago..
Old 02-19-14, 12:10 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
1J, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. They've been awesome to SC owners in the past, and they took care of my cluster years ago (that sounded vaguely naughty, I think).

I did have a thought, though, completely unrelated but on topic. You know those cool new Mercedes night vision instrument clusters... Who's going to take up that gauntlet when they start going sideways? Cause you know they will, and we'll be talking house down payment money to fix them...

Because they are German... Built to last, and generate revenue forever. Wait, that's not quite right.
I heard the company was bought out by some dude and ever since then quality and customer service fell off.
Either way I've been driving around with a dead climate unit and a dead temp needle because I haven't heard a good thing from anyone who's bought a Lextech unit in a while. Personally my mind has already been made up about Lextech as the one thing I hate about purchasing anything online is a lack of communication. If I hand you my money I expect you to answer my emails within 2 business days. Especially if your shipment is late or behind schedule. That kind of practice really should dry up a customer pool fast. And I'm honestly surprised that anyone orders from Lextech with all of the stories posted here on Club Lexus.
Old 02-19-14, 12:53 PM
Grobar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eknine9
I heard the company was bought out by some dude and ever since then quality and customer service fell off.
Either way I've been driving around with a dead climate unit and a dead temp needle because I haven't heard a good thing from anyone who's bought a Lextech unit in a while. Personally my mind has already been made up about Lextech as the one thing I hate about purchasing anything online is a lack of communication. If I hand you my money I expect you to answer my emails within 2 business days. Especially if your shipment is late or behind schedule. That kind of practice really should dry up a customer pool fast. And I'm honestly surprised that anyone orders from Lextech with all of the stories posted here on Club Lexus.
Man it's like I read a horror story about Lextech every week. Is there anyone that can comprise a history of Lextech? I know OLT was involved at one point way back when. I chose not to send my stuff to them for precisely that reason - no communication. People saying their stuff was gone for months at a time without any rhyme or reason. Another thing - as far from what I gather this is not some big huge company. There should be no reason not to get good customer service.

For what its worth, I sent my cluster to Jason Tanin as well as my climate control. He did a great job on both, even "customized" my auto cluster to make it more manual friendly by blacking out the middle strip and removing O/D bulb. However, his climate LEDs lasted about 5 months before the screen ones burned out (not a huge deal but come on... 5 months?) and my RPM needle lasted about 6 before going. Several background bulbs also started flickering. To his credit, when I contacted Jason on Facebook, he was apologetic and simply requested I send the units back and their lifetime warranty would take care of it. I applaud him for doing customer service right.

Having said that, I was REALLY hoping for more than half a years worth of product for the price I paid. Also, not sure about rest of you, but having aftermarket radio, as well as an SAFC display hooked up in my center console, it's a ***** getting the climate unit out due to all the tiny *** screws that hold the brackets together. Not something I want to be doing every half a year. I'm hoping I just got mine done one a Friday night or something which explains the lifetime of the bulbs.. It's also not cool to have to pay shipping on both items and ****ing hope that UPS/USPS/FedEx doesn't destroy my cluster.

I'm looking for another SC in the near future, and I wouldn't hesitate to use Jason again, simply because he does good work and at least cares enough to make it right if there is a problem. Lextech took over a week just to return my initial email.
Old 02-19-14, 01:01 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Grobar
Man it's like I read a horror story about Lextech every week. Is there anyone that can comprise a history of Lextech? I know OLT was involved at one point way back when. I chose not to send my stuff to them for precisely that reason - no communication. People saying their stuff was gone for months at a time without any rhyme or reason. Another thing - as far from what I gather this is not some big huge company. There should be no reason not to get good customer service.

For what its worth, I sent my cluster to Jason Tanin as well as my climate control. He did a great job on both, even "customized" my auto cluster to make it more manual friendly by blacking out the middle strip and removing O/D bulb. However, his climate LEDs lasted about 5 months before the screen ones burned out (not a huge deal but come on... 5 months?) and my RPM needle lasted about 6 before going. Several background bulbs also started flickering. To his credit, when I contacted Jason on Facebook, he was apologetic and simply requested I send the units back and their lifetime warranty would take care of it. I applaud him for doing customer service right.

Having said that, I was REALLY hoping for more than half a years worth of product for the price I paid. Also, not sure about rest of you, but having aftermarket radio, as well as an SAFC display hooked up in my center console, it's a ***** getting the climate unit out due to all the tiny *** screws that hold the brackets together. Not something I want to be doing every half a year. I'm hoping I just got mine done one a Friday night or something which explains the lifetime of the bulbs.. It's also not cool to have to pay shipping on both items and ****ing hope that UPS/USPS/FedEx doesn't destroy my cluster.

I'm looking for another SC in the near future, and I wouldn't hesitate to use Jason again, simply because he does good work and at least cares enough to make it right if there is a problem. Lextech took over a week just to return my initial email.

We are continually making changes and revisions to our LED work and quality of products and I'm fairly certain we have changed methods at least once or twice since you sent your stuff in.

We constantly battle with the quality and longevity of certain LED related products, but assure you we can get your stuff working properly again and looking better than ever whenever you feel like sending it in.

We can also send you a pre-paid shipping label so you aren't out any money. Just give us a call when you want to get it done.

Old 02-19-14, 01:47 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

^^^^ That s what I like to see, I'll be going this route with mine then..
Old 02-21-14, 09:27 AM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

I may be a new friend of Jason soon. My climate control seems to be darkening in the center, so I may have him do his magic and go... Purple!

Jason, do you redo the stereos too? It's the stock Pioneer unit, not the Nakamichi. I didn't remember seeing it on the website.

But when I buy my A4, I will mark you down as a go to for the instrument cluster. I've owned 2, and that damn screen likes do go out (the status screen in the middle). Can you customize that screen in anyway? Like, swap out the red one for a color from the S4 or make it so that you can hook it up to another device (computer, iPod, boost controller, etc?)

Forgive the cross post folks, but I was just excited to see the stuff he can do. I hated the screen pixels burning on that center cluster.
Old 02-21-14, 09:32 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

The LCD screens we replace all the time on the Audis. We can change the screen color and backlighting color from red to whatever else that's about it.

The stereo LCD screen we can change color on. The individual button lighting is more work than it's worth, but we can replace any burnt out buttons with new bulbs.

Old 02-21-14, 02:27 PM
Jostar
Driver

Originally Posted by Grobar

PINCHE UNDERTAKER!!!

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
We are continually making changes and revisions to our LED work and quality of products and I'm fairly certain we have changed methods at least once or twice since you sent your stuff in.

We constantly battle with the quality and longevity of certain LED related products, but assure you we can get your stuff working properly again and looking better than ever whenever you feel like sending it in.

We can also send you a pre-paid shipping label so you aren't out any money. Just give us a call when you want to get it done.
When you repaired the needles & you upgrade to LEDs, are the needles calibrated back to stock or are outta wack??? this is the part that scares me.. But if you have a way to guarantee they will work perfect & I don't have to be removing & resending my units back to you! I will get you to service my Cluster & climate control... I am not too far from your location so shipping would be irrelevant.
Old 02-21-14, 02:30 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

We are a speedometer repair business so we have equipment to calibrate and test everything.

Quick Reply: For those of you who dealt with Lextech, I have a few questions?