44.19%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Will our cars ever become valuable as "classics?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 05:03 AM
SpecialK47
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are sports cars. It's called 2+2 seating, a lot of popular sports cars utilize it.

A low slung performance car is the loose definition of a sports car. Our SCs are luxury sports cars.
Old 01-27-14, 03:44 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, i believe so bias aside. There is so much history with the SC/ Soarer also its just a matter of time before they release the next generation.
Old 01-27-14, 03:48 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This has been covered a lot here in the past two years. I don't think they will ever be a classic in our eyes, since we own one. The MKIV has really did it in, in my eyes on how the SC is less expensive to own compared to them, even though our has a "L" on the hood and trunk.

On a side note, my 1992, is now considered and under the classic category under the recent KBB I pulled. It might have been the NADA, don't remember..

On your paint, the color choice would be a personal. In my eyes, the OEM color would sell faster to me, because it will leave all the normal people out there to like the car, not just a enthusiastic like us. JMO.
Old 01-27-14, 04:09 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah been covered a ton but it just depends. Since there are still thousands out on the road it's going to take some time. Maybe in 20 more years when the majority will have been retired, wrecked, parted/rusted out etc.. If someone can keep lower miles and killer condition, I say its totally possible.

That being said it wont be the type of car that's only a rare classic when super OEM and stock because the stock SC is fairly bland and doesnt stick out at all for any major reason. I think the high sought after models will be the modded GTE swapped cars in great condition, regardless of the chosen year aesthetics..
Old 01-27-14, 04:25 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ironically, I think the Soarer will be, but not American SC cars. When you look at what those cars came equipped with and ours didn't, it's truly amazing. Soarers were light years ahead of anything for the time. And would be a competitor even now. Apart from the fact that the SC and Soarer are all-american designs, there won't be much buzz. But now owning my third one....ask me if I give a fart.
Old 01-27-14, 04:34 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kris9884
That being said it wont be the type of car that's only a rare classic when super OEM and stock because the stock SC is fairly bland and doesnt stick out at all for any major reason. I think the high sought after models will be the modded GTE swapped cars in great condition, regardless of the chosen year aesthetics..
I disagree on that, in terms of classic cars you need to keep everything original as much as possible, when you start to modify and swap things it will impact the value many years from now.

50 years from now or you going to want a stock SC/Soarer that belongs in a museum or one that was modified, swapped, stripped with different engines?
Old 01-27-14, 04:39 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kbb
Apart from the fact that the SC and Soarer are all-american designs, there won't be much buzz. But now owning my third one....ask me if I give a fart.
Disagree there is still buzz about the SC people even today dont know what they are when they see one. Lol The design is truly timeless. And not all SC/Soarers were designed by Calty we didnt get the SC/Soarer untill Japan's 3rd gen which is considered our 1st gen here in the states.
Old 01-27-14, 05:09 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

when u look at how much the price of an 85 Oldsmobile cutlass or Monte carlo has went up, I don't see why these cars wont do the same.

the Sc was light years ahead of those cars in terms of design and engineering.

But on the flip side if these cars only get cheaper I think its beneficial for us.
Old 01-27-14, 05:11 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The Soarer even had digital clusters and four way steering. I still think the classic will be a untouched original OEM low mileage car, unlike mine. Even though I have the first year of them.
Old 01-27-14, 05:27 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you have to keep any car OEM to be a classic, one mod will throw it in to a "collectible category"
You can get a stock 1969 mustang "Classic" and turn it in to a collectors from a mod
The sc will be the same just like any car that is old
You cant judge from the price people are willing to pay for it
Old 01-27-14, 05:42 PM
grm405
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post

I was around for the first go-round of the "American Classics", i.e. when they were brand new. I thought they were pretty lousy then and the same now. They made a zillion of those cars, and today they bring astonishing prices. To someone who grew up on the overweight, underperforming, lousy handling cars with scary brakes and no-traction tires something like the SC is amazingly good, even by todays standards.

I look at some of the cars of my youth which today are priceless (like a Gull-Wing Mercedes 300SLfor $2500 or that mint 427 Cobra for $5200 I didn't have the money for). If I had the money and a good storage barn I could afford a boatload of SC's today and be a billionaire in 50 years.

Gerry
Old 01-27-14, 06:19 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Disagree there is still buzz about the SC people even today dont know what they are when they see one. Lol The design is truly timeless. And not all SC/Soarers were designed by Calty we didnt get the SC/Soarer untill Japan's 3rd gen which is considered our 1st gen here in the states.
Our more rounded SCs are the ones I was speaking of...I should have been clear. Only a few of the square Soarers even snuck over here and are even less known. I don't want to offend...but those don't count:-). They are as much in the shadows of our cars as the Mark III Supra is to the Mark IV. And yes, people still don't know what they. I love my car.
Old 01-27-14, 06:24 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joey-E
I disagree on that, in terms of classic cars you need to keep everything original as much as possible, when you start to modify and swap things it will impact the value many years from now.

50 years from now or you going to want a stock SC/Soarer that belongs in a museum or one that was modified, swapped, stripped with different engines?
Agreed, but thats a tough temptation for us to resist. Between Supra engine, suspension and brake parts and body kits and countless wheel options for the deep wells, it means going stock will be pretty much a restoration project in the next ten to twenty years.
Old 01-27-14, 08:04 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kbb
Our more rounded SCs are the ones I was speaking of...I should have been clear. Only a few of the square Soarers even snuck over here and are even less known. I don't want to offend...but those don't count:-). They are as much in the shadows of our cars as the Mark III Supra is to the Mark IV. And yes, people still don't know what they. I love my car.
That's funny, a few weeks ago I saw a Z20 series Soarer on a flat bed...looked like it was being scrapped though as it was pretty beat up. I was driving and looked over on the right and saw the griffin emblem and was like "WTF!!!".

Classic status...were pretty far off I'd say at least 15-20 years. Remember the last year this body style came out was in 2000...minus the 97+ upgrade its pretty much looked/drove the same the entire time.
Old 01-27-14, 09:19 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I've said it before: our cars are classics to the Supra as plain old 70's Plymouth Satellites are to the Plymouth GTX or Coronet 440's or Superbirds. As mentioned above (Mikef and kbb) the RHD Soarers will be more immediate "classics" like the 93-98 Supras because of what drivetrain and in some cases interior hardware they came with from the factory.

With the possible exception of the SC400's (especially 98-00's) the 92-00 SC series will probably be valued more as "collectible/modified" cars. They should have been identical to the Soarers but weren't and most of us who are interested prefer to put the sportiness back into these cars that Lexus tried so hard to take out.

I think the value will go up a bit, yes, it probably won't ever be significant for the Barrett-Jackson crowd in 20 years unless: A) It's a ridiculously low mileage unmodified car (20k for example) or B) It's a very tastefully modified car with either beautiful engine work, immaculate and tasteful paint jobs and a very, very clean swap with manual transmissions, LSDs, uprated brakes, etc. being sought after options.

Of course there is also the problem that the supply of new cosmetic parts for these cars won't last forever and Toyota has also decided in their wisdom not to keep producing aftermarket-only 1JZ, 2JZ, R154 parts as Ford does in their annual racing parts catalogs. Many American classic cars benefit from aftermarket reproductions of preciously rare, expensive and long discontinued interior and exterior trim pieces not to mention a glut of engine parts listed for "off-road use only" or only for use with certain year vehicles due to emissions controls.

Many formerly bland vehicles from 1964-1987 or so have leveled off in respectable but very attainable values due to their entire drivetrains being swapped from something else. The difference with SC's is the connected lineage with the Soarers and MKIV Supras which should help a bit.

But 1971 Trans-Am 455 SD's these will never be.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-27-14 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Will our cars ever become valuable as "classics?"