SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 arrived !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-14, 03:03 PM
JPS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Today, I try to take car of my headlights.

First, I've cleaned them with hot water and baking soda, and I've saved the right one - see first photo

However, once cleaned, I've realized that the left one was leaking - nearly half a centimeter of water inside.
It took me around 4 hours to remove it !!! The 2 screws behind are really difficult to access, and it took 2 hours in WD-40 to be able to remove them... Then 30 minutes to remove the headlight, as I didn't want to go too strong and to break something.
Then I baked it and opened it (less than 30 minutes all include) - see second photo how dirty it was- and cleaned it.

And I have one question before putting everything in place.
On the 2 last photos is a focus on the inside of the headlight. Difficult to see on photo, but there is quite no more 'reflective paint'. Do I need to respray it, and of so with what kind of paint (silver, chrome, specific one for lights....), or can I keep them like that and the car will still be roadworthy ?

Thank for your answers
Attached Thumbnails SC400 arrived !!-head-light-right-left.jpg   SC400 arrived !!-headlight-open.jpg   SC400 arrived !!-headlight-inside-1.jpg   SC400 arrived !!-headlight-inside-2.jpg  
Old 01-18-14, 03:57 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like it is time for a new set of headlights. The leaks appear to be your cam seals on both sides, and your power steering hose is leaking. Very simple fixes, and requires minimum tools.
Old 01-19-14, 02:04 AM
TonyFrench
Rookie

Not professionnal firm to remake chrome color ?
Old 01-19-14, 11:05 AM
JPS
Rookie

Originally Posted by TonyFrench
Not professionnal firm to remake chrome color ?
I fear it'll cost more than an average used headlight. I've seen used left headlights from 40 to 120 AUD on gumtree and ebay.

I've also checked on internet and some people have resprayed this part of their headlight. Most of the time, they have resprayed it in black, some of the others say that a silver color will be better than a chrome on because chrome will be to bright after.

I'll try to find them again and give the link, but I've so many website yesterday....
Old 01-19-14, 11:05 AM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you could just spray the chrome inside with silver or black paint , since you don't need the reflection because we have lowbeams with a lens

there are some examples on the forum on painting them black or silver

your car coming out great , keep it up
Old 01-19-14, 11:52 AM
TonyFrench
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sc400NL
you could just spray the chrome inside with silver or black paint , since you don't need the reflection because we have lowbeams with a lens
I did not know.
Old 01-19-14, 12:13 PM
JPS
Rookie

there are some examples on the forum on painting them black or silver

So if headlights have a lens, the inside can be of any color without affecting their performance ? And if no lens, then have to be professionally re-chromed, that's it ?

If so, that's why yesterday I've found some forums saying that the inside can't be re-chromed unless done by vapor-deposit made by a professional and some other were able to spray themselves the inside in different colors....

Thanks a lot, I'll try that and if it works I'll save a lot of money!!
Old 01-19-14, 01:16 PM
TonyFrench
Rookie

These are English headlight ? (light left)
Old 01-19-14, 02:53 PM
JPS
Rookie

Originally Posted by TonyFrench
These are English headlight ? (light left)
In a way yes, as in Australia we drive on the left as in England.

I'll have to wait until Wednesday at least to have time to go and buy what I need to finish headlights. Can't wait so long !!
Old 01-19-14, 04:57 PM
JPS
Rookie

Thanks

When I realized that in 1 week, I've mainly worked on door trims, seats and headlights...
And that I still have to change seat belts (meaning to remove seats....) and didn't start the engine yet... makes me wonder if it was such a good idea...

then I look through the window, see the car and think : " Yeah worth it !!!! of course !!!"
Old 01-19-14, 10:25 PM
TonyFrench
Rookie

Yes of course ! I would not doubtful...
When I have my Soarer, I normally recovered headlights, they are good.
Old 01-20-14, 09:30 PM
JPS
Rookie

Default passenger seat working

Hi,

Here is what I've done today:
- plug the battery
- with a single copper wire, I've tried to make an electrical contact under the **** of the passenger seat - the one on the left on the first photo
-I was able to move the seat frontward and rearward: It means the seat is in working order !!

Then while I was able to move it, I've checked under the seat, and guess what: I've found all missing parts (see second photo). After putting everything back in place, the passenger seat is nearly fully functional! I just need the ****, but that's not the most important right now, one problem solved !!

Next step : now that I have access to the under of the seat, try to remove the seat, find a seatbelt in working order and change it...
Not yet sure I'll be able to remove the seat, for what I've read bolts are screwed really tight and I just have few tools at home... Let's try and see !!
Attached Thumbnails SC400 arrived !!-passenger-seat-control-2-small.jpg   SC400 arrived !!-passenger-seat-parts-small.jpg  
Old 01-20-14, 11:16 PM
TonyFrench
Rookie

Nice, a big catch should be well.
Old 01-21-14, 11:27 AM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
So if headlights have a lens, the inside can be of any color without affecting their performance ? And if no lens, then have to be professionally re-chromed, that's it ?

If so, that's why yesterday I've found some forums saying that the inside can't be re-chromed unless done by vapor-deposit made by a professional and some other were able to spray themselves the inside in different colors....

Thanks a lot, I'll try that and if it works I'll save a lot of money!!
yes seen a few on this forum , black or silver , or stock chrome

but let me give you some advise as a fellow new sc owner , read the bible , the
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tart-here.html
its a mega source of info , OLT made this list of almost everything you want to know about our cars

but keep posting , love to see getting your car up and ready
Old 01-21-14, 08:46 PM
JPS
Rookie

but let me give you some advise as a fellow new sc owner , read the bible , the
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tart-here.html
its a mega source of info , OLT made this list of almost everything you want to know about our cars
I've already used it a lot !! Even if I don't really know whether it'll be useful for me or not, I've read nearly all links once. but that's a lot of info...as it's the first time I try to work on a car - previously just change bulbs, battery and oil - and as I don't want to do any mistake cause I can't spent a lot of money yet to fix everything so I prefer to ask here again to be sure

but keep posting , love to see getting your car up and ready
Thanks That's a lot of job, and as said above, without all info I can find here, I would not have been able to go so far... even if I haven't done a lot compare to some other threads, that's already huge for me !!

Quick Reply: SC400 arrived !!