SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

popularity of e85 in the states

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 12:15 PM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popularity of e85 in the states

So as I begin work on my sc300, I have been contemplating swapping the head gasket or not (to the tt hg)
but as ive been doing more research, if you plan to run e85, the stock NA head gasket is better.

im building my sc to have fun with (first built car!), take road trips in, that sort of thing.
how popular is e85 in other parts of the country?

I know here in ohio every krogers gas station has e85. so that means I have access to 3 e85 stations within 10 minutes of my house.

but how is it in other parts of the country?
is it hard to find? don't want to get stuck running low on gas with no e85 stations in sight!

should I just bite the bullet and run the lower compression tt hg so I can still run high boost on pump?
im gonna be running high boost a lot... never know when you are gonna roll up to that ricer civic! (that is a very bad problem here in ohio...)
Old 12-09-13, 01:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If you are not sure I always say do the tt headgasket. you will still make good power on E85 but you also have the option of running pump gas.
Since you have stations close to youm you could get away with E85. but since you used the word road trip, lots of places do not have E-85 yet or its in remote places. I would not use a E85 vehicle to drive across the country with unless you do a fair share of planning your routes and whatnot, especially since you get less MPG's with e-85 and add boost you will be filling up all the time. A pump gas vehicle would be more versatile, but if we were talking about a weekend warrior and you have 3 stations near by, then why haven;t you ordered your E85 parts yet.
Old 12-09-13, 01:27 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan to take trips, it's best to change to the tt headgasket unless you are happy with about 375whp when on pump.

It's not actually better to have the stock gasket with e85. What makes the stock gasket appealing is that the compression is higher, which makes more power, which is safe to do with ethanol because of it's ability to prevent detonation when tuned properly.

Make sure you have a good way to switch maps when on road trips as well.

No matter what you do, make sure to use arp headstuds

Last edited by Vrank; 12-09-13 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-09-13, 01:31 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several points:

1. E85 is rapidly gaining popularity, however it is still relatively uncommon. Exhibit A: I have to drive 32 miles each way to fill up on E85. I always take two 10 gallon drums with me for reserves.

2. http://e85vehicles.com/e85-stations.htm: This site has a map of several E85 stations in the US. It claims there are currently 2200 E85 stations in the US.

3. Use the gasket that gives you the most options.

4. If you need high boost to beat a "ricer civic", you're doing it wrong haha.
Old 12-09-13, 03:08 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing in the NYC area. We don't get to have fun without water/meth on the streets
Old 12-10-13, 06:00 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

4. If you need high boost to beat a "ricer civic", you're doing it wrong haha.[/QUOTE]

hahaha no im doing it right! I just want to be able to lightly tap the throttle and be gone!
its going to be my weekend warrior so its high boost all the time! hahaha

thanks for the input guys! ill do the headgasket swap!
Old 12-10-13, 09:37 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Where I live E85 still isn't that common. There are a lot of guys that run it but only a few gas stations have it. It makes going on cruises to out of town car shows/meets difficult because we have to take a 30 minute detour just so the E85 guys can get gas.

I personally would never run E85 for that reason. It's not common enough on my side of town and it can be a hassle if you plan on going out of town. It's so annoying rolling with the E85 guys.
Old 12-10-13, 09:51 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

first question is what ecu are you going to run?

stock na headgasket works fine with E85 and stock head bolts.. i've done it works fine and it will never blow up.

i will not run the stock na gasket if your ecu can't do FF, You will HATE yourself , been there and done that.
Old 12-10-13, 03:37 PM
soaringlex
Driver School Candidate

I live in South Dakota, and it seems like 90% of the gas stations have e85, but it gets toned down to e70 or some **** for winter... kinda changes things a little.

I've dealt with e85 in the past, and if I were to just roadtrip the midwest... id' say hell yeah. But sometimes you do have to take a detour for it... plus fuel mileage goes down a bit.
Old 12-11-13, 09:04 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
first question is what ecu are you going to run?

i will not run the stock na gasket if your ecu can't do FF, You will HATE yourself , been there and done that.
it will either be proefi or aem. im not sure which one to get yet. still haven't found a competent tuner in my area yet. but I know that both are e85 compatible.

and if I was worried about gas mileage, then I wouldn't have decided to buy a project car and would have bought a prius! but what is sitting in my grandmas garage now is a lexus.... so yea not worried about fuel economy.
Old 12-11-13, 10:40 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Originally Posted by mecheng10
it will either be proefi or aem. im not sure which one to get yet. still haven't found a competent tuner in my area yet. but I know that both are e85 compatible.
Great then i would pull the head off, run it just like that .

Both ecus do flex fuel , so you can put 87oct in your car and it won't blow up..but seriously you can run 93 oct and it will lower your boost and timing based on the ethanol content. So i would boost the na just like that all the way

if you copy my setup you will make 640-700whp on baby boost 21-24 psi.

Don summerton at Accelerated Performance in OHIO will take care of the aem and You have Larry Prebis from Sound performance in Chicago will tune your Proefi.

These are the only 2 people that will touch my car if i was in your area

gl
Old 12-12-13, 05:11 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Originally Posted by maneckezao
I would not use a E85 vehicle to drive across the country with unless you do a fair share of planning your routes and whatnot
What are you talking about
Old 12-12-13, 05:17 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Great then i would pull the head off, run it just like that .

Both ecus do flex fuel , so you can put 87oct in your car and it won't blow up..but seriously you can run 93 oct and it will lower your boost and timing based on the ethanol content. So i would boost the na just like that all the way

if you copy my setup you will make 640-700whp on baby boost 21-24 psi.

Don summerton at Accelerated Performance in OHIO will take care of the aem and You have Larry Prebis from Sound performance in Chicago will tune your Proefi.

These are the only 2 people that will touch my car if i was in your area

gl
Thanks a lot for that insight! Gonna have to call and check them out! Its been hard to find a good tuner in ohio, it seems the car scene is lacking (actually I know that because all I ever see are civics and eclipses with fart cans and massive spoilers)
Do you have a build thread? I wanna check out your build!
Old 12-12-13, 06:08 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

What's your power goal?

My car made 641 without even trying on E85, this is 21psi on th 4th run of the night...I am not lying to you we weren't even trying to make that kind of power.

All i wanted was 500whp since i was selling the car and the buyer backed out so i decided to finish it and keep it as a daily. We stopped at 640whp with a slipping clutch , relaced the clutch and pulled 701whp at 24psi.

Here is my setup , if you can duplicate it , i am 100% positive Don will make it happen.

ID1000, S366 Turbo, Tial 44 wg, Dual bosch 044 inline but you can run a dual 485 walbro to make your job easier, 3bar map, R154, 3.26 diff, Fuelab FPR,-10 an feed ,-10an return to the regulator then -6an from regulator to the tank, AEM v1, and stock fuel rail , Fe Intake manifold ,Q45 TB, Fe 4"dp/mp and exhaust, Greddy 3row, Lq9 coils .
Old 12-12-13, 08:56 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

What's your power goal?

My car made 641 without even trying on E85, this is 21psi on th 4th run of the night...I am not lying to you we weren't even trying to make that kind of power.

All i wanted was 500whp since i was selling the car and the buyer backed out so i decided to finish it and keep it as a daily. We stopped at 640whp with a slipping clutch , relaced the clutch and pulled 701whp at 24psi.

Here is my setup , if you can duplicate it , i am 100% positive Don will make it happen.

ID1000, S366 Turbo, Tial 44 wg, Dual bosch 044 inline but you can run a dual 485 walbro to make your job easier, 3bar map, R154, 3.26 diff, Fuelab FPR,-10 an feed ,-10an return to the regulator then -6an from regulator to the tank, AEM v1, and stock fuel rail , Fe Intake manifold ,Q45 TB, Fe 4"dp/mp and exhaust, Greddy 3row, Lq9 coils .
I want 600 (or more) on the stock block (which I know is possible). I want to be one of those guys who pushes their stock block to the limits (although I probably will re-ring the pistons just to be safe)
im probably gonna keep the dizzy, a cast manifold, a quick spool valve and either s362 or s366
hoping for super responsive, nasty build that can haul some serious ***!

Quick Reply: popularity of e85 in the states